Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista

Adam Albright

Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
Maybe I should have titled this thread the Never Ending Story. Vista
is seriously flawed in its first retail release, badly broken in many
areas, buggy as hell and they claim it was tested extensively. I can
not and will no longer recommend this pile of crap to anybody. Surely
not to anybody that has more than a basic system. If you have a more
advanced system you will suffer long trying to get things to work and
likely in the end fail or be forced to compromise to make having
upgraded to Vista an expensive but useless experience unless you enjoy
slow torture.

As I've said previously I have several SATA hard drives, both internal
and external. They did work fine under XP Pro.

1. I have a state of art "Vista Ready" motherboard, a Gigabyte
GA-965P-DQ6.

2. I have already installed the latest Intel Storage Martix
XP/Vista combination IDE controllers and SATA controller drivers.

3. All the SATA drives are Seagate, a trusted and preferred brand and
nearly brand new, each between 300 and 750 GB in size.

As I've also said Vista works with these drives in IDE mode. In fact I
have suggested several times for people to put these drives in IDE
mode until Vista was up and running. Today I decided to restore BIOS
to SATA mode so my many hard drives work up to speed. That was a
mistake. The next hour was nothing but a cascading series of failure
after failure from both the Award BIOS and sadly again Vista.

Read in horror how truly dumb all the involved parties are. I blame
them all, Microsoft, Award BIOS, Intel and Gigabyte.

Read in horror how badly flawed this release of Windows is and how it
will drive you to the brink of sanity trying to get it do what it is
suppose to.

Here in detail is my latest misadventure with Vista:

1. I go to BIOS and change back to SATA mode.

2. I reboot and see the AHCI copyright notice.

3. I see the typical early BOOT phases and the BIOS
sees all the drives including the SATA ones on the SATA
controllers.

4. Boot fails, says can't find OS. I don't panic, seen this before
under XP. The problem and it is so stupid, is for some odd reason
you got to put SATA drives on the controllers one at a time, then
reboot, get into Windows, see if things are ok, shut down, add the
next one and repeat.

5. I pull out all but the first SATA drive and reboot. No more can't
find OS error, but once in Windows, it now is too stupid to see
the drive. OK fine, I'll look under Device Manager. No, the drive
isn't listed, but Vista did decide to add another instance of the
IDE controller, two lines, one each for channel 0 and 1. The
problem here is my MB doesn't have two sets of channels, it just
has a single IDE channel, 0 and 1. Vista now says I got two and of
course puts the yellow warning flag on them.

6. Now the real fun begins. Old time users of Windows knows one way
to clear hardware issues the Device Manager nags about is to
remove ALL the items in a particular category. So I try.

7. Vista being so totally brain dead don't let me. Instead it just
flashes, comes back and now I have 3 pair! I spend the next 15
minutes trying to get rid of these extrenous lies and finally
manage to get back down to just one extra pair.

8. Meanwhile Vista is going nuts. It keeps bringing up the found new
hardware window, shows a progress bar as it tries to add the
driver, then end up saying IDE channel failed. Now Vista is stuck
in endless loops where its now a game to see if I can delete the
bogus lines before Vista tries to add them back.

9. More wasted time and getting no where fast so I decide, the hell
with it. I manage to shut down then return to BIOS to put
everything back to IDE like it was. You would think that would
fix things. No way!

10. Hoping to avoid more errors, I first pulled all the drives
leaving only my boot C drive which is a ATA IDE drive.

11. I reboot and get into Windows and see Vista showing "found
new hardware", and my first SATA drive is back, but running in
IDE mode. Well, at least its running.

12. I restore my other internal SATA drives. Windows sees them.

13. I now try to turn on one of my external SATA drives. These
worked fine under IDE mode before in both XP and Vista. Not
any more! Now Vista don't see any external SATA drive regardless
what I do.

14. Obviously I'm not thrilled. I've wasted over a hour messing
around and I'm in worse shape then when I started in spite of
returning things to how they were.

15. My misery isn't over. Lucky for me my external SATA drives have
the option of running in USB 2.0 mode. Slower, but at least I
should be able to get to my data. I try, and I can.

16. Another problem due to brain dead Vista. Anyone that uses
external USB devices knows you should unmount them from the
task bar and wait till Windows says it is ok to remove. The
point here is if just shut off a drive that still may be trying to
read or write to a file you can corrupt that file or the whole
drive. So I click on the button. Vista says I can't turn it off
because it claims another application is accessing the drive.

17. Vista is lying again. I confirm I turned all applications off even
if they didn't access the external drive in question. Same stupid
message. The details are mind numbingly stupid. I have a older
external USB drive. It only uses USB 2.0. The damn thing isn't
on, but apparently Vista thinks it is and shows a line to turn
if off. BUT IT ISN'T ON and I know the new one isn't accessing
anything, yet Vista says I can't turn either off safely.

So now for my efforts instead of getting my SATA drives to work up to
speed I had to cripple them to run slower and now I never know if it
is safe or not to turn them off running is USB mode which presents
more bugs.

Damn Microsoft "software engineers" get you act together!

Mayor of R'lyeh

Re: Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
In article <p4nus2p840j9hvqnllhsni3sodv5d2n8jh@4ax.com>,
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> [...]
> drive. So I click on the button. Vista says I can't turn it off
> because it claims another application is accessing the drive.
>
> 17. Vista is lying again. I confirm I turned all applications off even
> if they didn't access the external drive in question. Same stupid
> message. The details are mind numbingly stupid. I have a older
> external USB drive. It only uses USB 2.0. The damn thing isn't
> on, but apparently Vista thinks it is and shows a line to turn
> if off. BUT IT ISN'T ON and I know the new one isn't accessing
> anything, yet Vista says I can't turn either off safely.
>
> So now for my efforts instead of getting my SATA drives to work up to
> speed I had to cripple them to run slower and now I never know if it
> is safe or not to turn them off running is USB mode which presents
> more bugs.
>
> Damn Microsoft "software engineers" get you act together!

I totally agree with Albright!

Get a Mac and give up on Microsoft forever. THEY DO NOT understand
software development, so don't be fooled by them again!

You have been warned!
BobS

Re: Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
Adam,

Go here
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aGlzdWFzdA==
and you will see that this chipset on that mb has a problem with SATA
drives. There are 3 versions of that mb with rev 3.3 being the latest and
Nvidia drivers themselves have been real buggy lately.

Just may be a connection here.....

Bob S.

news4nus2p840j9hvqnllhsni3sodv5d2n8jh@4ax.com...

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:55:49 -0500, "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com>
wrote:

>Adam,
>
>Go here
>http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aGlzdWFzdA==
>and you will see that this chipset on that mb has a problem with SATA
>drives. There are 3 versions of that mb with rev 3.3 being the latest and
>Nvidia drivers themselves have been real buggy lately.
>
>Just may be a connection here.....

Lucky me, I got a revision 1.0 board. Figures. Thanks for the info.

I've about had it... now for the first time since installing Vista I
try to use my Epson 900 photo printer to print a label directly on a
DVD and to nobody's surprise, it locks up the application (Acoustica
CD DVD Label Maker) and won't print anything. Worked fine in XP.

Lets see since installing Vista...

1. My SATA drives don't work properly.

2. Device Manager installs multiple versions of hardware
I don't have and I can't remove.

3. I can't turn off USB devices safely.

4. Devices that worked perfectly under XP and were NOT nagged
about by the Vista installer refuse to be seen by Windows.

5. I can no long print DVD labels directly on a DVD.

6. Media player can't play video a 2nd time without distorting
them to the extend they are unviewable in spite of playing
file the first time without problem.

Boy oh boy am I glad I "upgraded" to Vista!

Ron Miller

Adam Albright wrote:
> [...]
> drive. So I click on the button. Vista says I can't turn it off
> because it claims another application is accessing the drive.
>
> 17. Vista is lying again. I confirm I turned all applications off even
> if they didn't access the external drive in question. Same stupid
> message. The details are mind numbingly stupid. I have a older
> external USB drive. It only uses USB 2.0. The damn thing isn't
> on, but apparently Vista thinks it is and shows a line to turn
> if off. BUT IT ISN'T ON and I know the new one isn't accessing
> anything, yet Vista says I can't turn either off safely.
>
> So now for my efforts instead of getting my SATA drives to work up to
> speed I had to cripple them to run slower and now I never know if it
> is safe or not to turn them off running is USB mode which presents
> more bugs.
>
> Damn Microsoft "software engineers" get you act together!

Nicely documented, Adam. I think it might be relevant to note here that
MS changed their Beta-testing program for Vista. For Windows 95, 98,
and XP, they allowed many of us be part of that program. This time,
most of us received no invitations to participate, and from the outside,
it seemed as though most of the beta testing was done by folks
participating in Microsoft's IT and development organizations. Is MS's
decision to exclude the rank-and-file user from pre-release testing
coming back to haunt them?
I installed Vista in a dual-boot setup, and, unlike you, I'm migrating
to it very slowly. I haven't noticed any show-stoppers yet, but you've
run across so many bugs that I've got to think that if MS had allowed
more Beta participants, Vista might be a lot further along than it is.

For once, I'm not specifically criticizing the dunderhead Mac user
("Mayor of R'lyeh) who chimed in with absolutely nothing useful to say.
After posts like yours, the Mac trolls are starting to seem a little
less inappropriate . . . but only a little.
=?Utf-8?B?cmV0aXJlZCBmaXJl?=

Re: Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
I too have been playing "hard drive tag" with SATA and PATA drives, and have
a Case # on this issue with Microsoft....

I ended up with SATA internal system drive and an external PATA drive for
backup..

You might try to do a Complete PC Backup (new Vista feature), which works,
but the catch is that it will not RESTORE, as Vista will not recognize the
SATA drive, unless it is the only internal hard drive, thus the use of the
external hard drive.....

What if I owned a large business and backed up my hard drive in case of a
failure, and when the failure occured, I was not able to restore the drive
from the backup ??????????

So, I will only have one SATA internal drive until Microsoft works through
this issue....

Thought you all might like this info.....

"Ron Miller" wrote:

> [...]

> most of us received no invitations to participate, and from the outside,
> it seemed as though most of the beta testing was done by folks
> participating in Microsoft's IT and development organizations. Is MS's
> decision to exclude the rank-and-file user from pre-release testing
> coming back to haunt them?
> I installed Vista in a dual-boot setup, and, unlike you, I'm migrating
> to it very slowly. I haven't noticed any show-stoppers yet, but you've
> run across so many bugs that I've got to think that if MS had allowed
> more Beta participants, Vista might be a lot further along than it is.
>
> For once, I'm not specifically criticizing the dunderhead Mac user
> ("Mayor of R'lyeh) who chimed in with absolutely nothing useful to say.
> After posts like yours, the Mac trolls are starting to seem a little
> less inappropriate . . . but only a little.

Rock

Re: Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
"retired fire" <retiredfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I too have been playing "hard drive tag" with SATA and PATA drives, and
>have
> a Case # on this issue with Microsoft....
>
> I ended up with SATA internal system drive and an external PATA drive for
> backup..
>
> You might try to do a Complete PC Backup (new Vista feature), which works,
> but the catch is that it will not RESTORE, as Vista will not recognize the
> SATA drive, unless it is the only internal hard drive, thus the use of the
> external hard drive.....
>
> What if I owned a large business and backed up my hard drive in case of a
> failure, and when the failure occured, I was not able to restore the
> drive
> from the backup ??????????
>
> So, I will only have one SATA internal drive until Microsoft works through
> this issue....

Any backup/recovery solution should be tested to make sure you can actually
restore it under operation conditions. So even if you weren't having the
issues you have had the restore had to be tested.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?cmV0aXJlZCBmaXJl?=

Re: Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
You are right, backup and restore should be tested prior to the need to
restore... But I think it could also be said, should Microsoft had fully
tested this OS, the SATA issue would not be causing so much grief....

"Rock" wrote:

> "retired fire" <retiredfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> >I too have been playing "hard drive tag" with SATA and PATA drives, and
> >have
> > a Case # on this issue with Microsoft....
> >
> > I ended up with SATA internal system drive and an external PATA drive for
> > backup..
> >
> > You might try to do a Complete PC Backup (new Vista feature), which works,
> > but the catch is that it will not RESTORE, as Vista will not recognize the
> > SATA drive, unless it is the only internal hard drive, thus the use of the
> > external hard drive.....
> >
> > What if I owned a large business and backed up my hard drive in case of a
> > failure, and when the failure occured, I was not able to restore the
> > drive
> > from the backup ??????????
> >
> > So, I will only have one SATA internal drive until Microsoft works through
> > this issue....

> Any backup/recovery solution should be tested to make sure you can actually
> restore it under operation conditions. So even if you weren't having the
> issues you have had the restore had to be tested.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

BobS

Re: Another day, more inexcusably stupid mistakes caused by Vista
ever think about buying a Volkswagon...........? (if I said "Mac", the
trolls would be coming out of the woodwork.....;-)

You're just having early-adopter symptoms Adam, nothing that a brew or two
won't fix and you have plenty of company. But let's put some blame on the
other vendors too - and pressure to get their Vista compatible fixes
done/tested and out the door - real soon. I have emails out to several
already and the more that we complain and ask them for the fixes, the more
they're likely to get on it.

You're certainly savvy enough to know you were going to have some issues in
going with a new OS but right now - I think you're trying to do to much and
the frustration level is way up. It's only a computer, you'll survive -
take a break and go back to WinXP for awhile and give the little elves in
driver land time to do their magic.....

newse1vs2hjl1r8gn03hpap15d8am3kabemou@4ax.com...

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:49:40 -0500, "BobS" <no-one@here.com> wrote:

>ever think about buying a Volkswagon...........? (if I said "Mac", the
>trolls would be coming out of the woodwork.....;-)

I got a Prius a couple months ago. Still can't get use to pressing a
button on the dash to put the thing in park or pushing another button
to start it. But I get over 40 MPG. <smile>