UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade?

JMI

UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade?
Do you have to have a version of Windows installed on you PC in order to
install the Vista upgrade? I recall with Windows XP's upgrade install all
you had to do was insert the install disc from a previous version during
it's install (Windows 98, ME, 2000). That was enough to supply proof that
you owned a previous version of Windows.

Has that changed with Vista?

Thanks,

Jeff

JimR

Re: UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade?
"JMI" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have to have a version of Windows installed on you PC in order to
> install the Vista upgrade? I recall with Windows XP's upgrade install all
> you had to do was insert the install disc from a previous version during
> it's install (Windows 98, ME, 2000). That was enough to supply proof that
> you owned a previous version of Windows.
>
> Has that changed with Vista?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

With Vista the operating system you are upgrading from must be installed,
you can't just insert the cd to verify. However there are workarounds that
can be found online.

--
Jim

BobS

Re: UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade?

Bob S.

"JMI" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have to have a version of Windows installed on you PC in order to
> install the Vista upgrade? I recall with Windows XP's upgrade install all
> you had to do was insert the install disc from a previous version during
> it's install (Windows 98, ME, 2000). That was enough to supply proof that
> you owned a previous version of Windows.
>
> Has that changed with Vista?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Rock

Re: UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade?
"JMI" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote

> Do you have to have a version of Windows installed on you PC in order to
> install the Vista upgrade? I recall with Windows XP's upgrade install all
> you had to do was insert the install disc from a previous version during
> it's install (Windows 98, ME, 2000). That was enough to supply proof that
> you owned a previous version of Windows.

Vista does not do a shiny media check, the qualifying OS needs to be
installed, and for XP it needs to be activated, genuine and for a in place
upgrade, at the SP2 level. There is a published work around to allow a
custom install with an upgrade version without having the qualifying OS
installed. Use it at your own risk. An upgrade version should not be used
if you don't own a qualifying version.

See this link for info on upgrade paths:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Location: Quebec, Canada
nemo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR View Post
"JMI" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have to have a version of Windows installed on you PC in order to
> install the Vista upgrade? I recall with Windows XP's upgrade install all
> you had to do was insert the install disc from a previous version during
> it's install (Windows 98, ME, 2000). That was enough to supply proof that
> you owned a previous version of Windows.
>
> Has that changed with Vista?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

With Vista the operating system you are upgrading from must be installed,
you can't just insert the cd to verify. However there are workarounds that
can be found online.

--
Jim
Workaround for Vista upgrade very well explained at:

Windowssecrets.com see article Jan 07 by Brian Livingston..

nemo