Lost Pictures

=?Utf-8?B?TWFraW5nVXBmb3JCYWRIYWJpdHM=?=

Lost Pictures
After upgrading to Home Premium, the shared folder where all pictures and
music was stored has disappeared.

Anyone have any idea if it was completely erased? I can't find them in the
public folders, or under any other user account.

And yes, I didn't back-up before installing because I thought I had
everything on two other computers...but I was wrong!
JimR

Re: Lost Pictures
"MakingUpforBadHabits" <MakingUpforBadHabits@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:49088599-77BC-4F9D-99E9-14F22CFEE473@microsoft.com...
> After upgrading to Home Premium, the shared folder where all pictures and
> music was stored has disappeared.
>
> Anyone have any idea if it was completely erased? I can't find them in the
> public folders, or under any other user account.
>
> And yes, I didn't back-up before installing because I thought I had
> everything on two other computers...but I was wrong!

Search your hard drive for a folder named Windows.old and see if you can
find the pictures there.

--
Jim

Adam Albright

Re: Lost Pictures
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:16:00 -0800, MakingUpforBadHabits
<MakingUpforBadHabits@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After upgrading to Home Premium, the shared folder where all pictures and
>music was stored has disappeared.

Did you do a clean install or a install in place? If the former,
they're gone. If you just installed Vista on top of XP, it moved them
to a new folder probably... more daming so-called "security" issues.

Expand your tree view of your C drive. At the top you should see your
desktop folder. Under it should be one or more "user" folders titled
the name people log in to under. If you only have one user, there's
only one. Expand THAT folder and your stuff should be there.

Rock

Re: Lost Pictures
"MakingUpforBadHabits" <MakingUpforBadHabits@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote

> After upgrading to Home Premium, the shared folder where all pictures and
> music was stored has disappeared.
>
> Anyone have any idea if it was completely erased? I can't find them in the
> public folders, or under any other user account.
>
> And yes, I didn't back-up before installing because I thought I had
> everything on two other computers...but I was wrong!

From Start type in pictures. Click on the link. Do your pics show there?
If not look in the windows.old folder.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?TWFraW5nVXBmb3JCYWRIYWJpdHM=?=

Re: Lost Pictures
I've did a search of the HDD and came up with no Windows.old folder. Should
it be in the root directory?

"JimR" wrote:

> "MakingUpforBadHabits" <MakingUpforBadHabits@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:49088599-77BC-4F9D-99E9-14F22CFEE473@microsoft.com...
> > After upgrading to Home Premium, the shared folder where all pictures and
> > music was stored has disappeared.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea if it was completely erased? I can't find them in the
> > public folders, or under any other user account.
> >
> > And yes, I didn't back-up before installing because I thought I had
> > everything on two other computers...but I was wrong!

> Search your hard drive for a folder named Windows.old and see if you can
> find the pictures there.
>
> --
> Jim

=?Utf-8?B?TWFraW5nVXBmb3JCYWRIYWJpdHM=?=

Re: Lost Pictures
It was an install in place, not a clean install.

I checked all the user folders before posting, and could not find any of the
pictures in any of the user accounts.

Also, per suggestions, I looked for the Windows.old folder, but there is no
folder like that on my hard drive.