Problem set up Windows Mail

edthanet

Problem set up Windows Mail
I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this is
the error message I get:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.', Account:
'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account:
'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol:
POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E
Malke

Re: Problem set up Windows Mail
edthanet wrote:
> I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this is
> the error message I get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.', Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E

The most common problems for people having trouble sending/receiving
email are:

1. You are using the wrong mail server settings. Check your ISP's
website ( or that of your web hosting company if your mail host is other
than your ISP) for the correct mail server settings for POP (Incoming)
and SMTP (outgoing). Most ISP's will also have a "walkthrough" to show
you how to set up mail using popular email clients such as Outlook
Express, Eudora, and Thunderbird. If they don't have instructions for
Windows Mail yet, use the ones for Outlook Express.

2. You have "outgoing mail server requires authentication" checked when
it does not. Or vice versa.

3. You are trying to send mail through an SMTP server that isn't your
regular ISP; i.e., you are trying to send mail through AT&T's server
when your ISP is Comcast. Some ISP's care about this and some don't.

4. Your user name and/or password are incorrect. Yes, you do have a user
name and password for your email. It probably has just been a long time
since you set this up (or someone else set it up for you) and you've
forgotten. Look through your ISP-related documentation or contact your
ISP. They will be able to tell you your user name and assign you a new
password.

5. Your antivirus is set to scan emails and/or is one that causes
problems with your operating system (such as McAfee in Vista). Turn this
option off since it doesn't provide you any extra protection and tends
to cause problems.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Dave

Re: Problem set up Windows Mail
I am a Roadrunner customer. I tried to telnet to these servers, but
couldn't get connected.
Or to any of the other Florida servers in the rr.com domain. Perhaps they
are having server problems.

You might try changing the server names to
pop-server.roadrunner.com
smtp-server.roadrunner.com

I can telnet to those.

"edthanet" <edthanet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this is
> the error message I get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.', Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error
> Number:
> 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com',
> Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E

Leah R.

RE: Problem set up Windows Mail
HERE IS THE EXAMPLE AND FOLLOW IT ACCORDINGLY. YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE RESOLVED.
ANOTHER SURE FIRE WAY IT WILL BE RESOLVED IS KEEP CALLING THE ISP THAT YOU
ARE PAYING FOR AND GET A TIER 3 TECHNICIAN:

EXAMPLE OF HOW TO ENTER THE POP3 AND SMTP IN WINDOWS MAIL:

FIRST GO TO ADD ACCOUNT AND THEN....

you will CHANGE the city and state to yours:

EX:
pop-server.nyc.rr.com is the POP3 INCOMING MAIL
smtp-server.nyc.rr.com is the SMTP OUTGOING MAIL

LEAH

"edthanet" wrote:

> I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this is
> the error message I get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.', Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E

Leah R.

RE: Problem set up Windows Mail
HERE IS A MORE CLEAR EXAMPLE AND FOLLOW IT ACCORDINGLY. YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE
RESOLVED. ANOTHER SURE FIRE WAY IT WILL BE RESOLVED IS KEEP CALLING THE ISP
THAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR AND GET A TIER 3 TECHNICIAN:

EXAMPLE OF HOW TO ENTER THE SMTP IN WINDOWS MAIL:

FIRST GO TO ADD ACCOUNT AND THEN....

you will CHANGE the city and/or state to yours:

EX:

pop-server.____________.rr.com is the POP3 (INCOMING MAIL)
smtp-server.___________.rr.com is the SMTP (OUTGOING MAIL)

LEAH

"edthanet" wrote:

> I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this is
> the error message I get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.', Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E

Chad Harris

Re: Problem set up Windows Mail
I don't see edthanet's original message so best I can do is respond here.

A frequent cause of Ed's problem is often not the ISP and tier anything is
often unhelpful, but many many antivirus programs including firewall
programs either stand alone or integrated in the AV programs use scan email
features that interfere with sending and receiving in Win Mail and Outlook,
and sometimes Windows Live Mail.

What often fixes these problems is to go into the program and stop email
scanning by the AV program. You don't need it; because these 3 programs
have default or intrinsic security feature that do the job competently.
Norton is but one of many AV and Firewall programs that often interferes
with send/receive email and turning it off helps.

The email scan features are commercial marketing features rather than
necessary features given the security setup of the email clients.

Good luck to edthanet (wherever your OP is).

CH

"Leah R." <LeahR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HERE IS THE EXAMPLE AND FOLLOW IT ACCORDINGLY. YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE
> RESOLVED.
> ANOTHER SURE FIRE WAY IT WILL BE RESOLVED IS KEEP CALLING THE ISP THAT YOU
> ARE PAYING FOR AND GET A TIER 3 TECHNICIAN:
>
> EXAMPLE OF HOW TO ENTER THE POP3 AND SMTP IN WINDOWS MAIL:
>
> FIRST GO TO ADD ACCOUNT AND THEN....
>

> you will CHANGE the city and state to yours:
>
> EX:
> pop-server.nyc.rr.com is the POP3 INCOMING MAIL
> smtp-server.nyc.rr.com is the SMTP OUTGOING MAIL
>

> LEAH
>
> "edthanet" wrote:
>
>> I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this
>> is
>> the error message I get:
>>
>> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.',
>> Account:
>> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
>> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error
>> Number:
>> 0x800CCC0E
>>
>> The connection to the server has failed. Account:
>> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com',
>> Protocol:
>> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
>> 0x800CCC0E

jerry terry

RE: Problem set up Windows Mail
how do u set up in coming server and outgoing server

"edthanet" wrote:

> I just set up Windows Mail and can neither send nor receive e-mail this is
> the error message I get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test Message.', Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com',
> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account:
> 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E

Dave

Re: Problem set up Windows Mail
Your email account provider should have instructions on their website.
If you tell us who your account provider is, perhaps someone can assist.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview