Unsuccessful Vista installation...

=?Utf-8?B?U29uaWNUSA==?=

Unsuccessful Vista installation...
I've been surfing this forum and been looking over the various technical
issues and I'm ready for a direct answer for my situation.

I just bought Windows Vista Home Premium and am upgrading from XP Home SP2.
The installation completes up to 54% of the way through "Completing the
Upgrade". At that point, it restarts (for the 4th time during the
installation process). When it does restart, I end up at a Blue Screen of
Death (BSOD). The error message is something along the lines of
"IRQS_NOT_EQUAL" or something to that length. Because of this I cannot
complete the installation and have been forced to roll back to Windows XP.

Pertinent info:

1. I am running this as an upgrade; not a clean install (however, I'm going
to probably turn to a clean install if this continues to fail)

2. I did run the Upgrade Advisor. I had a couple of things that it didn't
agree with but none of which actually stood in the way of upgrading (they
were of "unknown" status with the advisor)

3. I am installing it on a custom-built computer with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+
with a 256MB ATi Radeon x550 and 1GB of RAM.

If you need any more info, I can provide it. I'd like to sort this out
before I attempt the installation on my own computer (this is for my mother;
my computer will hopefully be running Vista Ultimate but I won't even think
about installing it until I'm confident with the entire upgrade process).

Tell me anything I need to know (unplugging/deactivating devices,
uninstalling programs/drivers, etc.).

Thank you for your help.
Adam Albright

Re: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 06:09:00 -0800, SonicTH
<SonicTH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been surfing this forum and been looking over the various technical
>issues and I'm ready for a direct answer for my situation.
>
>I just bought Windows Vista Home Premium and am upgrading from XP Home SP2.
>The installation completes up to 54% of the way through "Completing the
>Upgrade". At that point, it restarts (for the 4th time during the
>installation process). When it does restart, I end up at a Blue Screen of
>Death (BSOD). The error message is something along the lines of
>"IRQS_NOT_EQUAL" or something to that length. Because of this I cannot
>complete the installation and have been forced to roll back to Windows XP.
>
>Pertinent info:
>
>1. I am running this as an upgrade; not a clean install (however, I'm going
>to probably turn to a clean install if this continues to fail)
>
>2. I did run the Upgrade Advisor. I had a couple of things that it didn't
>agree with but none of which actually stood in the way of upgrading (they
>were of "unknown" status with the advisor)
>
>3. I am installing it on a custom-built computer with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+
>with a 256MB ATi Radeon x550 and 1GB of RAM.
>
>If you need any more info, I can provide it. I'd like to sort this out
>before I attempt the installation on my own computer (this is for my mother;
>my computer will hopefully be running Vista Ultimate but I won't even think
>about installing it until I'm confident with the entire upgrade process).
>
>Tell me anything I need to know (unplugging/deactivating devices,
>uninstalling programs/drivers, etc.).
>
>Thank you for your help.

I did a successful install in place, not "clean". On my second try.
I'm guessing many people assume as you and I did that when the Vista
Upgrade Advisor says there's some "minor things" like unknown drivers,
(had that too) that since the Advisor says its ok to proceed I tried,
only for my first attempt to also end up at at BSOD, for me at 21% in.

I fixed the problem by again running the Advisor and making sure
EVERYTHING it nagged about was either disabled, removed or turned off.
Then Vista was happy and installed fine. The irony is the things it
nagged about were either replaced by new Microsoft drivers part of the
DVD without me having to do anything, or I easily found Vista versions
of vendor web sites. So after suffering more the annoyance than
anything else of trying and failing the first time, I just did what I
should have the first time. Not trust the Advisor in it saying MAY be
a problem and go with ANYTHING it flags WILL BE a problem until you
address it prior to installing Vista.

Also, to make it easier on Vista go to BIOS and undo anything fancy
and run a mimimal setup. No fancy SATA, overclocking or other goodies
until Vista is up and running.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
Remove any TV cards and even wireless LAN cards too unless you know for sure
that they are supported.. you can check with the manufacturer for
compatibility.. disconnect external drives, scanners, printers, webcams,
flash cards, game controllers..

Re wireless LAN, I have a D-Link DWL G520 PCI card installed which works
well, but the D-Link DWL G132 USB wireless adapter will not work at all..

When you run the upgrade again, all you should have connected are screen,
keyboard and mouse.. if it fails again, then there may be incompatibilities
with the mainboard which a BIOS upgrade may or may not fix..

Good luck..

Run XP error checking on the drive
"SonicTH" <SonicTH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been surfing this forum and been looking over the various technical
> issues and I'm ready for a direct answer for my situation.
>
> I just bought Windows Vista Home Premium and am upgrading from XP Home
> SP2.
> The installation completes up to 54% of the way through "Completing the
> Upgrade". At that point, it restarts (for the 4th time during the
> installation process). When it does restart, I end up at a Blue Screen of
> Death (BSOD). The error message is something along the lines of
> "IRQS_NOT_EQUAL" or something to that length. Because of this I cannot
> complete the installation and have been forced to roll back to Windows XP.
>
> Pertinent info:
>
> 1. I am running this as an upgrade; not a clean install (however, I'm
> going
> to probably turn to a clean install if this continues to fail)
>
> 2. I did run the Upgrade Advisor. I had a couple of things that it didn't
> agree with but none of which actually stood in the way of upgrading (they
> were of "unknown" status with the advisor)
>
> 3. I am installing it on a custom-built computer with a AMD Athlon 64
> 3500+
> with a 256MB ATi Radeon x550 and 1GB of RAM.
>
> If you need any more info, I can provide it. I'd like to sort this out
> before I attempt the installation on my own computer (this is for my
> mother;
> my computer will hopefully be running Vista Ultimate but I won't even
> think
> about installing it until I'm confident with the entire upgrade process).
>
> Tell me anything I need to know (unplugging/deactivating devices,
> uninstalling programs/drivers, etc.).
>
> Thank you for your help.

Seven

Re: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
all of your issues can be resolved by getting a Macintosh. problems like
these have been designed out of Apple software/hardware so the user
never has to deal with weird problems such as you are having.

life is short, get a mac and you'll see why everyone is switching over.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

also read about how an "ex-microsoft" power user made the switch and
loves it....

"Overall, I'm impressed and excited about the future of personal
computing. Apple's innovating, Microsoft isn't"

http://www.idealog.us/2004/03/i_switched_exmi.html
Hertz_Donut

"Seven" <toys@r.us> wrote in message
> all of your issues can be resolved by getting a Macintosh. problems like
> these have been designed out of Apple software/hardware so the user
> never has to deal with weird problems such as you are having.

Idiot druggie MAC-troll.

If you truly used a MAC, you would know that they are neither trouble free
nor intuitive.

Honu

Seven

"Hertz_Donut" <nowhere@mindspring.com> wrote:

> If you truly used a MAC, you would know that they are neither trouble free
> nor intuitive.

what is a MAC? i've never heard of a computer named that. Do you mean
Mac? Nobody that knows computers calls Macs a MAC. That's plain idiotic
on your part.

I won't say there are never problems on Macs, but never weird problems
that people keep posting here. Some guy a few minutes ago had the
installation FREEZE? wow, that's unheard of on a Mac. Another had a
blank screen when he rebooted? Wow! that's crazy.

As for Intuitive. Macs wrote the book on how Windows works. MS couldn't
steal everything so they "adjusted" how it should work. So when people
move to a Mac, it's like ah! that's so easy! Since Apple designed it
correctly, MS tried to steal and got caught, so they were forced to
change things.

Like the icons should be on the "right" to say out of your way when a
document is open, but the courts made them move them to the left. Same
with the task bar. It should be on the top, (to stay out of your way)
but the courts made MS move it to the bottom, same with the start menu,
the trash, on and on.

Windows is just a low chinese "copy" of OSX, and some people are still
stuck using it. So sad.
AJR

Re: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
Regarding "... everyone is switching over..." not so - interesting that it
is no longer Apple Computer Inc. but Apple Inc.
..Apply was saved from the "junk" pile by giving free units to school
systems. There was, in the past, no compatibility between OS versions -
keyboard and monitor were extra cost (I think the monitor still is) -
Apple's Trash can - good idea, except when you moved an item to the trash
can it delete the item form the computer.(may be fixed now?).
Apply fought all clone makers and stop any sales from discount stores,
etc. - if you check a CompUSA advertisement there will be a statement such
"authorized Apple Reseller".

It is ridiculous to deny that Linux, Unix, OS2, DOS, OSx and Windows
individually do not have a feature better than the others. Which has the
best mix of performance factors - witness the thousands of Windows systems
versus the handful of Macs (Windows Servers are now replacing the Unix
units).
As I have said in previous posts - go take a bit out of your apple and
I'll have fun with Windows.

"Seven" <toys@r.us> wrote in message
> all of your issues can be resolved by getting a Macintosh. problems like
> these have been designed out of Apple software/hardware so the user
> never has to deal with weird problems such as you are having.
>
> life is short, get a mac and you'll see why everyone is switching over.
>
> http://www.apple.com/getamac/
>
> also read about how an "ex-microsoft" power user made the switch and
> loves it....
>
> "Overall, I'm impressed and excited about the future of personal
> computing. Apple's innovating, Microsoft isn't"
>
> http://www.idealog.us/2004/03/i_switched_exmi.html

=?Utf-8?B?U29uaWNUSA==?=

Re: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
You people seem to have a trolling problem as much as GameFAQs' forums do.

"Seven" wrote:

> all of your issues can be resolved by getting a Macintosh. problems like
> these have been designed out of Apple software/hardware so the user
> never has to deal with weird problems such as you are having.
>
> life is short, get a mac and you'll see why everyone is switching over.
>
> http://www.apple.com/getamac/
>
> also read about how an "ex-microsoft" power user made the switch and
> loves it....
>
> "Overall, I'm impressed and excited about the future of personal
> computing. Apple's innovating, Microsoft isn't"
>
> http://www.idealog.us/2004/03/i_switched_exmi.html

Rock

Re: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
"Seven" <toys@r.us> wrote

> all of your issues can be resolved by getting a Macintosh. problems like
> these have been designed out of Apple software/hardware so the user
> never has to deal with weird problems such as you are having.
>
> life is short, get a mac and you'll see why everyone is switching over.

<snip>

Another ignorant, pathetic Mac troll goes into the trash bin.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: Unsuccessful Vista installation...
IRQS_NOT_EQUAL you have 2 PCI cards sharing an IRQ ( sometimes ) Sound/modem
Video/sound take a close look at those