Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??

Nieuwslezer

Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
I try to install Vista on a computer in my private network. But the
network interface is not accepting an IP address from the DHCP server.

If on this same hardware I install eg. Linux the PC accepts the offered
IP address from the DHCP server. Imho this rules out a DHCP server
misconfiguration and hardware failure. The IP address assigned is in the
(172.x.x.x) range. On an other computer also installing Vista I see the
same behaviour. On the dhcp server log I see a DHCP request, a DHCP
offer, but no DHCP ack if vista is installed.

If I switch the hardware to a network with public IP addresses and I
install Vista, the system nicely accepts an IP address from the DHCP
server. This rules out hardware/software failure in Vista imho.

My conclusion is that Vista refuses DHCP offers in the private IP
ranges. Has anyone seen this too.

My question is how can I have Vista accept IP addresses in the private
range??

Regards, Koos.
JW

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
My Vista accepts private IP addresses in the 192.168.1.xx range from my
Linksys router.

"Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
news:aYudnQSXveRZhFLYnZ2dnUVZ8sqjnZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>I try to install Vista on a computer in my private network. But the network
>interface is not accepting an IP address from the DHCP server.
>
> If on this same hardware I install eg. Linux the PC accepts the offered IP
> address from the DHCP server. Imho this rules out a DHCP server
> misconfiguration and hardware failure. The IP address assigned is in the
> (172.x.x.x) range. On an other computer also installing Vista I see the
> same behaviour. On the dhcp server log I see a DHCP request, a DHCP offer,
> but no DHCP ack if vista is installed.
>
> If I switch the hardware to a network with public IP addresses and I
> install Vista, the system nicely accepts an IP address from the DHCP
> server. This rules out hardware/software failure in Vista imho.
>
> My conclusion is that Vista refuses DHCP offers in the private IP ranges.
> Has anyone seen this too.
>
> My question is how can I have Vista accept IP addresses in the private
> range??
>
> Regards, Koos.

Nieuwslezer

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
What netmask do you use? Mine is 255.255.255.192.

Koos.

JW wrote:
> My Vista accepts private IP addresses in the 192.168.1.xx range from my
> Linksys router.
>
> "Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
> news:aYudnQSXveRZhFLYnZ2dnUVZ8sqjnZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>
>>I try to install Vista on a computer in my private network. But the network
>>interface is not accepting an IP address from the DHCP server.
>>
>>If on this same hardware I install eg. Linux the PC accepts the offered IP
>>address from the DHCP server. Imho this rules out a DHCP server
>>misconfiguration and hardware failure. The IP address assigned is in the
>>(172.x.x.x) range. On an other computer also installing Vista I see the
>>same behaviour. On the dhcp server log I see a DHCP request, a DHCP offer,
>>but no DHCP ack if vista is installed.
>>
>>If I switch the hardware to a network with public IP addresses and I
>>install Vista, the system nicely accepts an IP address from the DHCP
>>server. This rules out hardware/software failure in Vista imho.
>>
>>My conclusion is that Vista refuses DHCP offers in the private IP ranges.
>>Has anyone seen this too.
>>
>>My question is how can I have Vista accept IP addresses in the private
>>range??
>>
>>Regards, Koos.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
I use a 10.10.10.x address for mine, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0

"Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
news:aYudnQSXveRZhFLYnZ2dnUVZ8sqjnZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>I try to install Vista on a computer in my private network. But the network
>interface is not accepting an IP address from the DHCP server.
>
> If on this same hardware I install eg. Linux the PC accepts the offered IP
> address from the DHCP server. Imho this rules out a DHCP server
> misconfiguration and hardware failure. The IP address assigned is in the
> (172.x.x.x) range. On an other computer also installing Vista I see the
> same behaviour. On the dhcp server log I see a DHCP request, a DHCP offer,
> but no DHCP ack if vista is installed.
>
> If I switch the hardware to a network with public IP addresses and I
> install Vista, the system nicely accepts an IP address from the DHCP
> server. This rules out hardware/software failure in Vista imho.
>
> My conclusion is that Vista refuses DHCP offers in the private IP ranges.
> Has anyone seen this too.
>
> My question is how can I have Vista accept IP addresses in the private
> range??
>
> Regards, Koos.

Kerry Brown

news:y5idnS6kZo4LrFLYnZ2dnUVZ8o7inZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
> What netmask do you use? Mine is 255.255.255.192.
>
> Koos.

Try changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and also 255.255.255.0 to see if
it's a subnet problem. What DHCP server are you using?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Nieuwslezer

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
I use fedora core 5 dhcp 3.0.3-28 on both the privat and public netsegment.

At the moment I am reconfiguring the privat network to see if the
standard netmask will work. I believe in the 172.16.x.x range the
"official" netmask is 255.255.0.0. Is this correct???

Koos.

Kerry Brown wrote:
> "Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
> news:y5idnS6kZo4LrFLYnZ2dnUVZ8o7inZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>
>> What netmask do you use? Mine is 255.255.255.192.
>>
>> Koos.
>>

> Try changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and also 255.255.255.0 to
> see if it's a subnet problem. What DHCP server are you using?

JW

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
255.255.255.0
"Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
news:y5idnS6kZo4LrFLYnZ2dnUVZ8o7inZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
> What netmask do you use? Mine is 255.255.255.192.
>
> Koos.
>

> JW wrote:
>> My Vista accepts private IP addresses in the 192.168.1.xx range from my
>> Linksys router.
>>
>> "Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
>> news:aYudnQSXveRZhFLYnZ2dnUVZ8sqjnZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>>
>>>I try to install Vista on a computer in my private network. But the
>>>network interface is not accepting an IP address from the DHCP server.
>>>
>>>If on this same hardware I install eg. Linux the PC accepts the offered
>>>IP address from the DHCP server. Imho this rules out a DHCP server
>>>misconfiguration and hardware failure. The IP address assigned is in the
>>>(172.x.x.x) range. On an other computer also installing Vista I see the
>>>same behaviour. On the dhcp server log I see a DHCP request, a DHCP
>>>offer, but no DHCP ack if vista is installed.
>>>
>>>If I switch the hardware to a network with public IP addresses and I
>>>install Vista, the system nicely accepts an IP address from the DHCP
>>>server. This rules out hardware/software failure in Vista imho.
>>>
>>>My conclusion is that Vista refuses DHCP offers in the private IP ranges.
>>>Has anyone seen this too.
>>>
>>>My question is how can I have Vista accept IP addresses in the private
>>>range??
>>>
>>>Regards, Koos.

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
That's correct.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
news:PpWdnX9TbdxR0VLYnZ2dnUVZ8sGvnZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>I use fedora core 5 dhcp 3.0.3-28 on both the privat and public netsegment.
>
> At the moment I am reconfiguring the privat network to see if the standard
> netmask will work. I believe in the 172.16.x.x range the "official"
> netmask is 255.255.0.0. Is this correct???
>
> Koos.
>
> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> "Nieuwslezer" <nieuwslezer@nieuws.nl> wrote in message
>> news:y5idnS6kZo4LrFLYnZ2dnUVZ8o7inZ2d@zeelandnet.n l...
>>
>>> What netmask do you use? Mine is 255.255.255.192.
>>>
>>> Koos.
>>>

>> Try changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and also 255.255.255.0 to see
>> if it's a subnet problem. What DHCP server are you using?

A.J. Werkman

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
I changed the netmask to 255.255.0.0. But again the IP address is not
accepted. Again the dhcp server receives a DHCPDISCOVER and sends a
DHCPOFFER and after that all quiet. Vista does not acknowledge the IP
address.

I quess I have to make a temporary network in the 192.168.x.x or
10.x.x.x series and see what happens.

Is there anyone out here who uses Vista with DHCP on a 172.16.x.x net??
What are your experiences??

Koos.

Kerry Brown wrote:

> That's correct.

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista refuses DHCP offer in the privat IP range??
That's a weird problem. Keep us updated on what you find out. It would cause
too much disruption on my network to test it right now. When I get a chance
I'll test it with VMs.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User