New hardware = New product key?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM5MDAw?=

New hardware = New product key?
Okay so I installed Vista last week, and it activated just fine. Due to a
hardware problem I had to install a new motherboard in my PC today. All of
the other hardware is still the same, and I did not reinstall Vista. Now I
get a message saying that Windows can't activate because my product key is
already in use! I understand not wanting hackers to steal your stuff, but I
PAYED FOR THIS!!!!!! I spent hudreds of dollars on this OS and now it
appears that I never have and never will be able to use it! I don't know if
I can handle an operating system that you have to repurchase every time you
repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
suggest that we do about it?
Tom Lake

Re: New hardware = New product key?
> repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
> suggest that we do about it?

Just call Microsoft and they'll take care of it. No need to buy a new copy
or to rant.

Tom Lake

Richard G. Harper

Re: New hardware = New product key?
Make a phone call to the telephone activation center, tell them your
problem, it will be fixed.

"DaveC9000" <DaveC9000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay so I installed Vista last week, and it activated just fine. Due to a
> hardware problem I had to install a new motherboard in my PC today. All
> of
> the other hardware is still the same, and I did not reinstall Vista. Now
> get a message saying that Windows can't activate because my product key is
> already in use! I understand not wanting hackers to steal your stuff, but
> PAYED FOR THIS!!!!!! I spent hudreds of dollars on this OS and now it
> appears that I never have and never will be able to use it! I don't know
> if
> I can handle an operating system that you have to repurchase every time
> you
> repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
> suggest that we do about it?

MICHAEL

Re: New hardware = New product key?

"DaveC9000" <DaveC9000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay so I installed Vista last week, and it activated just fine. Due to a
> hardware problem I had to install a new motherboard in my PC today. All of
> the other hardware is still the same, and I did not reinstall Vista. Now I
> get a message saying that Windows can't activate because my product key is
> already in use! I understand not wanting hackers to steal your stuff, but I
> PAYED FOR THIS!!!!!! I spent hudreds of dollars on this OS and now it
> appears that I never have and never will be able to use it! I don't know if
> I can handle an operating system that you have to repurchase every time you
> repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
> suggest that we do about it?

It does seem that Vista is more sensitive about hardware changes.
I agree that this is probably going to aggravate a lot of users,
especially, power users. But, a phone call should take care of your
activation.

Also, a new motherboard is a major change.

-Michael

=?Utf-8?B?d2luZ251dDE=?=

Re: New hardware = New product key?
Hi DaveC9000 I'm in the same boat. One of the DIMM sockets on my MB is
damaged and it's one required by the MB to be used or have problems. My only
option is to install a new MB. My old MB used AGP, but I couldn't find a new
one that supported it so I had to go with PCI-E. I called MS Support and was
told once I activated I couldn't install new hardware. This seems contrary
to what others are saying on this thread.

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> "DaveC9000" <DaveC9000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay so I installed Vista last week, and it activated just fine. Due to a
> > hardware problem I had to install a new motherboard in my PC today. All of
> > the other hardware is still the same, and I did not reinstall Vista. Now I
> > get a message saying that Windows can't activate because my product key is
> > already in use! I understand not wanting hackers to steal your stuff, but I
> > PAYED FOR THIS!!!!!! I spent hudreds of dollars on this OS and now it
> > appears that I never have and never will be able to use it! I don't know if
> > I can handle an operating system that you have to repurchase every time you
> > repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
> > suggest that we do about it?

> It does seem that Vista is more sensitive about hardware changes.
> I agree that this is probably going to aggravate a lot of users,
> especially, power users. But, a phone call should take care of your
> activation.
>
> Also, a new motherboard is a major change.
>

> -Michael

Shane Nokes

Re: New hardware = New product key?
I can guarantee you were NEVER told that.

Microsoft's policy is that you cannot install new hardware and keep you
CURRENT activation working.

However you can reactivate via the net OR with the telephone center.

I've done it numerous times already to test it out.

"wingnut1" <wingnut1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi DaveC9000 I'm in the same boat. One of the DIMM sockets on my MB is
> damaged and it's one required by the MB to be used or have problems. My
> only
> option is to install a new MB. My old MB used AGP, but I couldn't find a
> new
> one that supported it so I had to go with PCI-E. I called MS Support and
> was
> told once I activated I couldn't install new hardware. This seems
> contrary
> to what others are saying on this thread.
>
> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>

>> "DaveC9000" <DaveC9000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Okay so I installed Vista last week, and it activated just fine. Due
>> > to a
>> > hardware problem I had to install a new motherboard in my PC today.
>> > All of
>> > the other hardware is still the same, and I did not reinstall Vista.
>> > Now I
>> > get a message saying that Windows can't activate because my product key
>> > is
>> > already in use! I understand not wanting hackers to steal your stuff,
>> > but I
>> > PAYED FOR THIS!!!!!! I spent hudreds of dollars on this OS and now it
>> > appears that I never have and never will be able to use it! I don't
>> > know if
>> > I can handle an operating system that you have to repurchase every time
>> > you
>> > repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
>> > suggest that we do about it?

>> It does seem that Vista is more sensitive about hardware changes.
>> I agree that this is probably going to aggravate a lot of users,
>> especially, power users. But, a phone call should take care of your
>> activation.
>>
>> Also, a new motherboard is a major change.
>>

>> -Michael

=?Utf-8?B?d2luZ251dDE=?=

Re: New hardware = New product key?
Give me your e-mail address Shane and I'll send you a copy of the chat
transcript. Don't guarantee things that you don't know anything about.

"Shane Nokes" wrote:

> I can guarantee you were NEVER told that.
>
> Microsoft's policy is that you cannot install new hardware and keep you
> CURRENT activation working.
>
> However you can reactivate via the net OR with the telephone center.
>
> I've done it numerous times already to test it out.
>

> "wingnut1" <wingnut1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi DaveC9000 I'm in the same boat. One of the DIMM sockets on my MB is
> > damaged and it's one required by the MB to be used or have problems. My
> > only
> > option is to install a new MB. My old MB used AGP, but I couldn't find a
> > new
> > one that supported it so I had to go with PCI-E. I called MS Support and
> > was
> > told once I activated I couldn't install new hardware. This seems
> > contrary
> > to what others are saying on this thread.
> >
> > "MICHAEL" wrote:
> >

> >> "DaveC9000" <DaveC9000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> It does seem that Vista is more sensitive about hardware changes.
> >> I agree that this is probably going to aggravate a lot of users,
> >> especially, power users. But, a phone call should take care of your
> >> activation.
> >>
> >> Also, a new motherboard is a major change.
> >>

> >> -Michael

MICHAEL

Re: New hardware = New product key?
Then the person you talked to was either lying
or is just fuktarded.

My email is valid, send the chat to me.

-Michael

> Give me your e-mail address Shane and I'll send you a copy of the chat
> transcript. Don't guarantee things that you don't know anything about.
>
> "Shane Nokes" wrote:
>
>> I can guarantee you were NEVER told that.
>>
>> Microsoft's policy is that you cannot install new hardware and keep you
>> CURRENT activation working.
>>
>> However you can reactivate via the net OR with the telephone center.
>>
>> I've done it numerous times already to test it out.
>>

>> "wingnut1" <wingnut1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi DaveC9000 I'm in the same boat. One of the DIMM sockets on my MB is
>> > damaged and it's one required by the MB to be used or have problems. My
>> > only
>> > option is to install a new MB. My old MB used AGP, but I couldn't find a
>> > new
>> > one that supported it so I had to go with PCI-E. I called MS Support and
>> > was
>> > told once I activated I couldn't install new hardware. This seems
>> > contrary
>> > to what others are saying on this thread.

Rock

Re: New hardware = New product key?
"wingnut1" <wingnut1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi DaveC9000 I'm in the same boat. One of the DIMM sockets on my MB is
> damaged and it's one required by the MB to be used or have problems. My
> only
> option is to install a new MB. My old MB used AGP, but I couldn't find a
> new
> one that supported it so I had to go with PCI-E. I called MS Support and
> was
> told once I activated I couldn't install new hardware. This seems
> contrary
> to what others are saying on this thread.

>> "DaveC9000" <DaveC9000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> > Okay so I installed Vista last week, and it activated just fine. Due
>> > to a
>> > hardware problem I had to install a new motherboard in my PC today.
>> > All of
>> > the other hardware is still the same, and I did not reinstall Vista.
>> > Now I
>> > get a message saying that Windows can't activate because my product key
>> > is
>> > already in use! I understand not wanting hackers to steal your stuff,
>> > but I
>> > PAYED FOR THIS!!!!!! I spent hudreds of dollars on this OS and now it
>> > appears that I never have and never will be able to use it! I don't
>> > know if
>> > I can handle an operating system that you have to repurchase every time
>> > you
>> > repair your computer. Has anyone else had this problem? What does MS
>> > suggest that we do about it?

>> It does seem that Vista is more sensitive about hardware changes.
>> I agree that this is probably going to aggravate a lot of users,
>> especially, power users. But, a phone call should take care of your
>> activation.

What version of Vista, OEM or retail?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]