Vista Installation Lesson's Learned

Manuel Nonaca

Vista Installation Lesson's Learned
At 12:00PM I started a Vista Ultimate upgrade which took approximately 2.5 hours, actually it was more like 1.5 hours and the other 1 hour was finding drivers for my Intel SATA raid controller and my 3Com SOHO NIC card. Lessons learned:
a.. have drivers ready when ask or you better have another pc up and running to fetch them (.5 hrs lost).
b.. if you are un-sure of the type of hardware, i.e., a NIC card after pulling the card out to id it's type don't forget to plug the LAN cable back in (.5 hrs lost).
Other then the minor issues mention Vista Ultimate is up and running and now the preverberial question, I thought I did a clean installed but I notice there is still a directory call 'windows.old'. Was this a clean install or do I need to do an installed from the DVD? Great OS and I am not sure if it was luck because I am not having major problems like most of the post on this NG. One more question like XP is it OK to install the OS on my personal laptop (second PC) or do I need to purchase another copy?

--
Manuel Nonaca
MIS/M University of Phoenix Online

KYHighlander

Re: Vista Installation Lesson's Learned
you can buy another key from MS

--
KY
www.posernation.com

"Manuel Nonaca" <mbnonaca@mns.com> wrote in message news:%23UiK3uXTHHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
[...]

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Installation Lesson's Learned
"like XP is it OK to install the OS on my personal laptop (second PC)"
No, one license, one computer.
The way it has always been with Microsoft consumer operating systems since
at least Windows 95.
If you installed Windows XP on a desktop and a laptop with only one license,
you were against the EULA.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

[...]

MICHAEL

Re: Vista Installation Lesson's Learned
Office is the only Microsoft product, that I am aware of,
where you could install a another copy on a laptop
with the same key, and not be in violation of the EULA.
It may be just "two computers", and doesn't specify "laptop"
I'm not sure of the wording.

Actually, you can install Windows OneCare on three
computers with the same license.

But, you will need another Vista key for your laptop.

-Michael

--------------------------------------
[...]

Sharon F

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:26:50 -0800, Manuel Nonaca wrote:

> One more question like XP is it OK to install the OS on my personal laptop (second PC) or do I need to purchase another copy?

I think you're confusing XP the operating system with Office XP.

The operating system (any version of Windows) is one license for each
computer.

Office and a few other MS software packages allow an install on a second PC
(usually main PC and a portable).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User