Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro

=?Utf-8?B?Qko0NDQ0?=

Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
I have tried three times now to install Vista Business Upgrade on My XP Pro,
Dell 5150. It has 1 GB RAM, ATI 128 Mb Radeon video, 250 Gb WD SATA hard
drive. I removed all extraneous hardware, all USB external drives, kvm swtch,
etc. I uninstalled Mcaffee and cleaned the registry entries. I emptied the
reycle bin. I go through the upgrade install (I don't want to lose all of my
drivers and installed programs). Vista goes through almost all the steps,
reboots three times and then at the completing installation phase just locks
up at 54%. It creates a 4+ Gb error file in the Panther sub directory.

If you just leave the system alone, after about an hour and a half you get a
"This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way"
message. Clock ok and Vista restores the XP system. I can't get past this.

I have been on the phone with Microsoft three times and I even have a case
number. But their Vista installation tech support lines are so busy that each
time they try and transfer me to a techie the line gets disconnected (maybe
they are trying to tell us something).

Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle Steiner

Re: Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
BJ4444 <BJ4444@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have been on the phone with Microsoft three times and I even have a case
> number. But their Vista installation tech support lines are so busy that each
> time they try and transfer me to a techie the line gets disconnected (maybe
> they are trying to tell us something).
>
> Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

just get a mac. even microsoft's software works better on them. windows
is a mess, osx is a dream to work with.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> BJ4444 <BJ4444@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

> just get a mac. even microsoft's software works better on them. windows
> is a mess, osx is a dream to work with.

Either you're the same person who likes to change their name to give the
impression that MAC users of the world have come to rain down their
self-righteous judgement on Windows users, or a whole slew self absorbed MAC
users are actually here to rain down their self righteous judgement on
windows users.

Either way, I don't think you'll be getting any converts, but it's nice to
know that MAC users enjoy adding to the frustration of users in need of
help. Now if everyone would just send a message to abuse@qwest.net, maybe we
could clean up this group

Adam Albright

Re: Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:05:36 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>BJ4444 <BJ4444@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been on the phone with Microsoft three times and I even have a case
>> number. But their Vista installation tech support lines are so busy that each
>> time they try and transfer me to a techie the line gets disconnected (maybe
>> they are trying to tell us something).
>>
>> Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

>just get a mac. even microsoft's software works better on them. windows
>is a mess, osx is a dream to work with.

You Mac guys are pretty dumb. OSX is just a rehash of UNIX. While UNIX
is a lot of things, few would call it a dream. More like a nightmare.

Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> >> Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

> >just get a mac. even microsoft's software works better on them. windows
> >is a mess, osx is a dream to work with.

> You Mac guys are pretty dumb. OSX is just a rehash of UNIX. While UNIX
> is a lot of things, few would call it a dream. More like a nightmare.

you are thinking of command line Unix, not OSX. Apple totally hid all
that from the user, while not hiding any of the power. current Windows
is based on VAX systems, which died when DEC died. Unix is what runs
most of the important computers today, almost all the supercomputers run
Unix and OSX is where the world wide web came from. Kinda cool if you
are a power user. But I agree Windows is fine for more non-technical
stuff.
BigJim

Re: Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
if apple would have kept the price in line with the pc,
Apple would be number 1 instead of The Microsoft PC.
I believe that Apple just over prices their machines.

"BJ4444" <BJ4444@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried three times now to install Vista Business Upgrade on My XP
>Pro,
> Dell 5150. It has 1 GB RAM, ATI 128 Mb Radeon video, 250 Gb WD SATA hard
> drive. I removed all extraneous hardware, all USB external drives, kvm
> swtch,
> etc. I uninstalled Mcaffee and cleaned the registry entries. I emptied
> the
> reycle bin. I go through the upgrade install (I don't want to lose all of
> my
> drivers and installed programs). Vista goes through almost all the steps,
> reboots three times and then at the completing installation phase just
> locks
> up at 54%. It creates a 4+ Gb error file in the Panther sub directory.
>
> If you just leave the system alone, after about an hour and a half you get
> "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual
> way"
> message. Clock ok and Vista restores the XP system. I can't get past
> this.
>
> I have been on the phone with Microsoft three times and I even have a case
> number. But their Vista installation tech support lines are so busy that
> each
> time they try and transfer me to a techie the line gets disconnected
> (maybe
> they are trying to tell us something).
>
> Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

RE: Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
Well, I don't know. Try going to www.driveragent.com and do a scan of you
WinXP hardware for updated drivers. The website is a pay site to download
the drivers from them but the scan is free and once you know which ones are
out-dated you can go to the vendor's site for more current ones. I'm
thinking maybe the installation is tripping over a component in your computer
that has old drivers.

Anyway, it's worth a try.

"BJ4444" wrote:

> I have tried three times now to install Vista Business Upgrade on My XP Pro,
> Dell 5150. It has 1 GB RAM, ATI 128 Mb Radeon video, 250 Gb WD SATA hard
> drive. I removed all extraneous hardware, all USB external drives, kvm swtch,
> etc. I uninstalled Mcaffee and cleaned the registry entries. I emptied the
> reycle bin. I go through the upgrade install (I don't want to lose all of my
> drivers and installed programs). Vista goes through almost all the steps,
> reboots three times and then at the completing installation phase just locks
> up at 54%. It creates a 4+ Gb error file in the Panther sub directory.
>
> If you just leave the system alone, after about an hour and a half you get a
> "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way"
> message. Clock ok and Vista restores the XP system. I can't get past this.
>
> I have been on the phone with Microsoft three times and I even have a case
> number. But their Vista installation tech support lines are so busy that each
> time they try and transfer me to a techie the line gets disconnected (maybe
> they are trying to tell us something).
>
> Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Qko0NDQ0?=

RE: Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
Ed,

Thanks for the response. I did go through most of my drivers and got
manufacturers updates before I tried the install. However, I could have
missed some. I will try driveragent and see.

"Ed Stoddard" wrote:

> Well, I don't know. Try going to www.driveragent.com and do a scan of you
> WinXP hardware for updated drivers. The website is a pay site to download
> the drivers from them but the scan is free and once you know which ones are
> out-dated you can go to the vendor's site for more current ones. I'm
> thinking maybe the installation is tripping over a component in your computer
> that has old drivers.
>
> Anyway, it's worth a try.
>
> "BJ4444" wrote:
>
> > I have tried three times now to install Vista Business Upgrade on My XP Pro,
> > Dell 5150. It has 1 GB RAM, ATI 128 Mb Radeon video, 250 Gb WD SATA hard
> > drive. I removed all extraneous hardware, all USB external drives, kvm swtch,
> > etc. I uninstalled Mcaffee and cleaned the registry entries. I emptied the
> > reycle bin. I go through the upgrade install (I don't want to lose all of my
> > drivers and installed programs). Vista goes through almost all the steps,
> > reboots three times and then at the completing installation phase just locks
> > up at 54%. It creates a 4+ Gb error file in the Panther sub directory.
> >
> > If you just leave the system alone, after about an hour and a half you get a
> > "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way"
> > message. Clock ok and Vista restores the XP system. I can't get past this.
> >
> > I have been on the phone with Microsoft three times and I even have a case
> > number. But their Vista installation tech support lines are so busy that each
> > time they try and transfer me to a techie the line gets disconnected (maybe
> > they are trying to tell us something).
> >
> > Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Vista Upgrade Failure on XP Pro
Well, it's nice to see how wrong an apple user can be. Windows is not based
on a VAX, because that's hardware, what you really meant is David Culter who
was the program manager for Windows, use to be the program manager for VMS,
until he left Digital to go and work for Microsoft. VMS is still alive and
kicking to this day. And when I was in a linux class, those who worked on
VMS said they would prefer to work on VMS over linux, but VMS just never
caught on (Probably because it was hardware specific, just like a MAC and it
doesn't have a pretty GUI)

OSX ? You mean MAC os 10 helped invent the world wide web ? Gosh, and I
thought the WWW had been around for over 50 years, it didn't come out until
OSX ? At least you got part of it right. UNIX, not apple was teh foundation
of the internet. It was only after Apple couldn't do anything more creative
that they loaded FreeBSD and then wrote MAC OSX to sit on top of it. Wow,
at least Microsoft writes all their stuff, itstead of just making a pretty
gui for another OS. So in essence, OSX isn't an Operation system, it's just
another GNU

I know you read that Digital Equipment Corporation provide the PDP-6 for
Project MAC and you thought they were talking about the Macintosh, but it's
actually "Project MAC" (Machine Aided Cognition) at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology. Project MAC was oriented towards achieving a new
level of human-computer interaction

Maybe you should have paid more attention in your intro to computer class,
(though it must have been sponsored by Apple)

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote:

> if apple would have kept the price in line with the pc,
> Apple would be number 1 instead of The Microsoft PC.
> I believe that Apple just over prices their machines.

it seems you have old info. Macs are priced just the same as any top
tier PC nowadays. they are continually calibrated to be the same as HP,
DeLL, Gateway... and on the high end they are cheaper than Dells in many
situations.

Apple does need a mid-level tower box, we can agree on that. so if you
are looking for a generic "old school" box Apple doesn't having anything
for you. but if you look at the iMacs and Mac mini and the MacBooks,
you'll see Apple is price at, or lower than a similarly configured PC.

Keep in mind there is no Microsoft Tax when you buy a Mac so that saves
the customer $60-$140 out of the box. Apple will continue to be price
the same as the main PC vendors, what needs to change is people that
haven't looked at Macs for 10+ years, still think they are expensive,
but that's simply not true. you can check out near real time pricing
here.

http://www.pcprices.net/