I called Microsoft

Mike

I called Microsoft
I purchased a vista ultimate upgrade from CompUsa.
I also bought a new large hard drive to go along with it.
I tried to do a clean install from the Vista upgrade dvd.
but, I discovered it wont work. I checked around on the internet
to discover, I must first install a copy of Win Xp on my new
hard drive, then the let Microsoft validate it, then (and only then)
can I install Vista Ultimate. After the Vista update installs, I have
been told that Microsoft will then invalidate my Win Xp Product
Key So that no one will ever be hurt by it again. I became frustrated
by the whole affair, and thoughts of Mac Computers started to run
through my head. (I will save that for another time).

I took the Vista back to CompUsa to get my money back.
They say (NO WAY) you opened the box you own it now.
I found out Microsoft has a 45 day money back guarantee.
I called Microsoft, and yes they will refund my money.

I know there is a workaround for the Upgrade problem right now,
but Microsoft may plug that loophole, and I will be (S.O.L.) again
I decided to avoid any further installation problems,
I will buy the (full ) version of vista home premium.
But a new problem appears. I need to install the 64 bit version.
Vista home premium does not have a 64 bit disc.
I must order it, from Microsoft , and pay another $10.00
Which is what I will have to do.

After the long explanation, here is my question.

Can I install 64 bit (home premium) from the Vista Ultimate 64 bit disc,
before I send it back ? I would use the product activation key
from the Vista home premium that I will be buying.
That way I can get started while the 64 bit disc is on it's way from MS.
I have been told all the Vista discs are the same anyway, and the Product
activation key is actually what determines your version. Is that true ?

Please Help me to understand what to do.
Thanks Mike

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: I called Microsoft
If I am understanding you're question correctly, then I feel pretty
confident the answer to your question is no. I tried to use my company's
enterprise key on both Home prem and Ultimate and it was a no go. My
Ultimate key did not work on the Enterprise install

When you say, Home Prem doesn't have a 64 bit, do you mean the one you
bought doesnt ? You can get the Home Prem 64 bit edt at places like
newegg.com

Or get the full install of Ultimate 64 bit

"Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote in message
>I purchased a vista ultimate upgrade from CompUsa.
> I also bought a new large hard drive to go along with it.
> I tried to do a clean install from the Vista upgrade dvd.
> but, I discovered it wont work. I checked around on the internet
> to discover, I must first install a copy of Win Xp on my new
> hard drive, then the let Microsoft validate it, then (and only then)
> can I install Vista Ultimate. After the Vista update installs, I have
> been told that Microsoft will then invalidate my Win Xp Product
> Key So that no one will ever be hurt by it again. I became frustrated
> by the whole affair, and thoughts of Mac Computers started to run
> through my head. (I will save that for another time).
>
> I took the Vista back to CompUsa to get my money back.
> They say (NO WAY) you opened the box you own it now.
> I found out Microsoft has a 45 day money back guarantee.
> I called Microsoft, and yes they will refund my money.
>
> I know there is a workaround for the Upgrade problem right now,
> but Microsoft may plug that loophole, and I will be (S.O.L.) again
> I decided to avoid any further installation problems,
> I will buy the (full ) version of vista home premium.
> But a new problem appears. I need to install the 64 bit version.
> Vista home premium does not have a 64 bit disc.
> I must order it, from Microsoft , and pay another $10.00
> Which is what I will have to do.
>
> After the long explanation, here is my question.
>
> Can I install 64 bit (home premium) from the Vista Ultimate 64 bit disc,
> before I send it back ? I would use the product activation key
> from the Vista home premium that I will be buying.
> That way I can get started while the 64 bit disc is on it's way from MS.
> I have been told all the Vista discs are the same anyway, and the Product
> activation key is actually what determines your version. Is that true ?
>

> Please Help me to understand what to do.
> Thanks Mike

EarthSchol

Re: I called Microsoft
"Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote:

> Please Help me to understand what to do.
> Thanks Mike

mike, get a mac next time you upgrade, i did about a year ago and
haven't looked back. all your files will work on a mac, and the mac
software seems better. so that's what you should do.
Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: I called Microsoft

"EarthSchol" <earthsch@well.net> wrote in message
> "Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote:
>

> mike, get a mac next time you upgrade, i did about a year ago and
> haven't looked back. all your files will work on a mac, and the mac
> software seems better. so that's what you should do.

Must be Mac troll night. Is this what makes MAC users so smart, they spend
their time in the Windows forums telling everyone to get a MAC ?

Adam Albright

Re: I called Microsoft
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:12:41 -0500, "Dale \"Mad_Murdock\" White"
<dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:

>"EarthSchol" <earthsch@well.net> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote:
>>

>> mike, get a mac next time you upgrade, i did about a year ago and
>> haven't looked back. all your files will work on a mac, and the mac
>> software seems better. so that's what you should do.

>Must be Mac troll night. Is this what makes MAC users so smart, they spend
>their time in the Windows forums telling everyone to get a MAC ?

They must lonely, looney or maybe both.

Michael Jennings

Re: I called Microsoft
You do not have either W2K or XP, but you bought an upgrade.
You want to install the upgrade, send the ultimate DVD back,
order 64 bit home premium and wait while using Vista. I got that
right? Yes, you can use the product key from the full homepremium
you are buying. Be sure to select homepremium when you install
from the upgrade ultimate 64-bit DVD. It ought to activate.
You might have to do the "don't enter the key until the second
install" shuffle, since you need to boot from the upgrade DVD.
Be sure to skip no product return step in order to get the check.

"Mike" <Mike@rocket.org> wrote in message news:enAjFQXTHHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I purchased a vista ultimate upgrade from CompUsa.
> I also bought a new large hard drive to go along with it.
> I tried to do a clean install from the Vista upgrade dvd.
> but, I discovered it wont work. I checked around on the internet
> to discover, I must first install a copy of Win Xp on my new
> hard drive, then the let Microsoft validate it, then (and only then)
> can I install Vista Ultimate. After the Vista update installs, I have
> been told that Microsoft will then invalidate my Win Xp Product
> Key So that no one will ever be hurt by it again. I became frustrated
> by the whole affair, and thoughts of Mac Computers started to run
> through my head. (I will save that for another time).
>
> I took the Vista back to CompUsa to get my money back.
> They say (NO WAY) you opened the box you own it now.
> I found out Microsoft has a 45 day money back guarantee.
> I called Microsoft, and yes they will refund my money.
>
> I know there is a workaround for the Upgrade problem right now,
> but Microsoft may plug that loophole, and I will be (S.O.L.) again
> I decided to avoid any further installation problems,
> I will buy the (full ) version of vista home premium.
> But a new problem appears. I need to install the 64 bit version.
> Vista home premium does not have a 64 bit disc.
> I must order it, from Microsoft , and pay another $10.00
> Which is what I will have to do.
>
> After the long explanation, here is my question.
>
> Can I install 64 bit (home premium) from the Vista Ultimate 64 bit disc,
> before I send it back ? I would use the product activation key
> from the Vista home premium that I will be buying.
> That way I can get started while the 64 bit disc is on it's way from MS.
> I have been told all the Vista discs are the same anyway, and the Product
> activation key is actually what determines your version. Is that true ?
>

> Please Help me to understand what to do.
> Thanks Mike

EarthSchol

Re: I called Microsoft
="Dale \"Mad_Murdock\" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:

> > mike, get a mac next time you upgrade, i did about a year ago and
> > haven't looked back. all your files will work on a mac, and the mac
> > software seems better. so that's what you should do.

> Must be Mac troll night. Is this what makes MAC users so smart, they spend
> their time in the Windows forums telling everyone to get a MAC ?

i was a windows user for too long. i took a chance and it's been
wonderful. so just here to tell you guys, vista isn't worth it. OSX the
OS to use if you are a techy or don't want to ever mess with computer
problems again. it's one of the most deep OSes you can buy, not nearly
as limited as windows is. give it a try, you'll be glad you did.
Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: I called Microsoft

But this is the wrong forum to advertise your love for apple. This is a
support forum not a tell us why you love apple forum. People are here for
help, not pointless comments, like go buy a mac, without even a suggestion f
how to fix the problem they have.

In article <kP-dnfgxirXi31LYnZ2dnUVZ_hmtnZ2d@insightbb.com>,
"Dale \"Mad_Murdock\" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:

> But this is the wrong forum to advertise your love for apple. This is a
> support forum not a tell us why you love apple forum. People are here for
> help, not pointless comments, like go buy a mac, without even a suggestion f
> how to fix the problem they have.

i have no love for apple. i just like products that are trouble free and
useful. i have solved every problem that has been requested, which is a
better record than you have. my proven approach is to "fix" the issue
forever, not put a bandaid on a larger problem, or offer a "workaround".

someday, you'll understand a better way to compute.

> In article <kP-dnfgxirXi31LYnZ2dnUVZ_hmtnZ2d@insightbb.com>,
> "Dale \"Mad_Murdock\" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:
>
>> But this is the wrong forum to advertise your love for apple. This is a
>> support forum not a tell us why you love apple forum. People are here for
>> help, not pointless comments, like go buy a mac, without even a
>> suggestion f
>> how to fix the problem they have.

> i have no love for apple. i just like products that are trouble free and
> useful. i have solved every problem that has been requested, which is a
> better record than you have. my proven approach is to "fix" the issue
> forever, not put a bandaid on a larger problem, or offer a "workaround".
>
> someday, you'll understand a better way to compute.

You come to a Vista forum telling user(s) with a problem to buy a mac and
be happy, yet you have no love for Apple ?

Also, You can't ding me, because I haven't solved every problem requested. I
can offer advice, but since I don't have the problem, it's pretty tough to
find a fix out of the blue. And you're limiting me to the abilities to the
person on the other end. My system runs fine, barring problems related to
software drivers from various companies, I can't do anything about that,
other than wait for them to release updated products and drivers. I know
Macs never have any driver problems and every application works perfect out
the box. That's why there aren't any mac support forums, no one ever has
problems when running a mac

And you should note, that I'm a die-hard video gamer. MACs and diehard
gamers don't mix, as we don't like being limited in selection and waiting 5
years for the games to get ported over.

Again, you love you apple product and that's great. More power to you. This
is still not the venue to answer ever problem with, Buy a Mac !