Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTWlsbGFyZA==?=

Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2
I recently purchased Vista Ultimate to upgrade my XP SP2 installation. I have
the physical version, not the digital.

When I try to upgrade, I get the following error:-

Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue

Where can I find further information on the cause of this error? I ran the
Vista Compliance checking software prior to purchasing the software, and it
didn;t give me any critical errors, only a few information messages regarding
programs that may not run properly after installation.

Any help would be appreciated.
pete

Re: Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2
Want to give us a little more info please.......
What version of Ultimate?? OEM..Upgrade...Full Retail??
How are you installing?? start from the DVD?? from within XP??
all versions are physical...I can see them touch them there are no
metaphysical versions..at least the media is
all version are digital...they encoded digitally onto a digital
media....Records were analog CD/DVD are digital...................you wanna
explain this a little more?????????????

peter
"Chris Millard" <Chris Millard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased Vista Ultimate to upgrade my XP SP2 installation. I
>have
> the physical version, not the digital.
>
> When I try to upgrade, I get the following error:-
>
> Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue
>
> Where can I find further information on the cause of this error? I ran the
> Vista Compliance checking software prior to purchasing the software, and
> it
> didn;t give me any critical errors, only a few information messages
> regarding
> programs that may not run properly after installation.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

BobS

Re: Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2
Chris,

There's a number of things that can cause that and there are a lot of
fixes/suggestions but it would be nice to know a bit more about your
computer hardware. Those that have had a similar problem with similar
hardware are your best bet for an accurate diagnosis. If it's a pre-built
system, let us know the manf and model plus any add-on's you may have put
on. How much memory is installed, are you trying to install the 32bit or 64
bit version to a EIDE drive or a SATA drive....etc.....

Bob S.

"Chris Millard" <Chris Millard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased Vista Ultimate to upgrade my XP SP2 installation. I
>have
> the physical version, not the digital.
>
> When I try to upgrade, I get the following error:-
>
> Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue
>
> Where can I find further information on the cause of this error? I ran the
> Vista Compliance checking software prior to purchasing the software, and
> it
> didn;t give me any critical errors, only a few information messages
> regarding
> programs that may not run properly after installation.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Adam Albright

Re: Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:38:01 -0800, Chris Millard <Chris
Millard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently purchased Vista Ultimate to upgrade my XP SP2 installation. I have
>the physical version, not the digital.
>
>When I try to upgrade, I get the following error:-
>
>Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue
>
>Where can I find further information on the cause of this error? I ran the
>Vista Compliance checking software prior to purchasing the software, and it
>didn;t give me any critical errors, only a few information messages regarding
>programs that may not run properly after installation.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Suspect ANYTHING that the Vista Advisor nags about... even mildly may
and likely will cause the actual Vista installer to crash and burn.

Been there, done that. <wink>

I too was told go ahead by the Advisor only to get a BSOD at 21%. The
advisor passed my system, said it was safe to install Vista, did
mention three software applications that may not work right, oh the
irony... two were common Microsoft applications. It also said it had
no informaiton on a few of my drivers. Again the advisor said these
shouldn't cause any problem and it was safe to proceed with the
install. It wasn't. Only after I removed everything regardless how
minor the Advisor said it may be did the install proceed without a
hitch.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

RE: Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2
Yes, more info would help, but regardless, since you are having difficulty,
remove all software Vista Upgrade Advisor suggests will not work or will have
some problem. Remove or diable any third party anti-virus/spyware programs.
Also, remove any external hardware that will have problems with Vista per
Vista Upgrade Advisor.

And one more thing that most folks don't do: go to a site like
www.driveragent.com and scan your computer to see if you have any "bad" WinXP
drivers. "Bad" at www.driveragent.com really means outdated. The scan is
free; they're download service isn't. The scan will tell you if you have
hardware not running the most current drivers. Once you know what hardware
has outdated drivers, you should be able to go to the maker's website and
download the current driver to install. Having the most current drivers in
WinXP can help make your installation error free.

"Chris Millard" wrote:

> I recently purchased Vista Ultimate to upgrade my XP SP2 installation. I have
> the physical version, not the digital.
>
> When I try to upgrade, I get the following error:-
>
> Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue
>
> Where can I find further information on the cause of this error? I ran the
> Vista Compliance checking software prior to purchasing the software, and it
> didn;t give me any critical errors, only a few information messages regarding
> programs that may not run properly after installation.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

mikeyhsd

Re: Cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2
first thing you can do is to use the bios and disable/turn off any devices not needed for the install.
like extra hard drives, usb ports, serial/parallel ports.
turn off any over clocking.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com