Easy Transfer: where did it put my file?

Greg Foley

Easy Transfer: where did it put my file?
I was using Easy Transfer to move a single file from the desktop of my old
computer to my new computer. The transfer appeared to succeed, but now I
can't find the file anywhere on my new computer. It was called bookmarks, and
I did a search for it. Nothing. I tried to transfer it again, but it showed 0
files transferred. The log said:
This Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\bookmarks.html, or
approximately that. I can't find any such filepath.
Mick Murphy

RE: Easy Transfer: where did it put my file?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us

WET info above.

"Greg Foley" wrote:

> I was using Easy Transfer to move a single file from the desktop of my old
> computer to my new computer. The transfer appeared to succeed, but now I
> can't find the file anywhere on my new computer. It was called bookmarks, and
> I did a search for it. Nothing. I tried to transfer it again, but it showed 0
> files transferred. The log said:
> This Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\bookmarks.html, or
> approximately that. I can't find any such filepath.

Greg Foley

RE: Easy Transfer: where did it put my file?
Nothing helpful there.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us
>
> WET info above.
>
> "Greg Foley" wrote:
>
> > I was using Easy Transfer to move a single file from the desktop of my old
> > computer to my new computer. The transfer appeared to succeed, but now I
> > can't find the file anywhere on my new computer. It was called bookmarks, and
> > I did a search for it. Nothing. I tried to transfer it again, but it showed 0
> > files transferred. The log said:
> > This Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\bookmarks.html, or
> > approximately that. I can't find any such filepath.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Easy Transfer: where did it put my file?
Greg

Try looking in:

C:\Users\Default\Desktop

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Greg Foley" <GregFoley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was using Easy Transfer to move a single file from the desktop of my old
> computer to my new computer. The transfer appeared to succeed, but now I
> can't find the file anywhere on my new computer. It was called bookmarks,
> and
> I did a search for it. Nothing. I tried to transfer it again, but it
> showed 0
> files transferred. The log said:
> This Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\bookmarks.html, or
> approximately that. I can't find any such filepath.

Greg Foley

Re: Easy Transfer: where did it put my file?
I think I just found the file. The trick seems to have been checking "Include
non-indexed, hidden, and system files" when searching. I probably need to
change a setting to show hidden files by default. I still can't see the
Default folder except in search results with that option checked.

I'm glad I figured that out. I'm still extremely frustrated with Easy
Transfer, however, but I won't bother you with the full rant, which I've
composed mentally. I'll probably try a flash drive to move the rest of my
files over.

Thanks for your help. I probably wouldn't have tried another search and seen
that option without your reply.