vista to xp to vista

=?Utf-8?B?Y2Fyb2wgYw==?=

vista to xp to vista
i have a new computer with vista installed - can i install a new copy of xp
and then at a later date go back to the orginal vista? i want use my old
scanner
and printer that vista doesn't support.

pete

Re: vista to xp to vista
That really depends on how your computer came......with a Visat CD and
seperate Mobo driver Cd as well as Seperate Program CD ...with a Vista
Recovery Partition????
The problem is that you would need to format the drive that Vista is on in
order to install XP and as such you would lose everything on that drive
including whatever programs came with your new system.If it is only a
recover partition there is usually no way to get those programs to reinstall
under XP without also installing Vista.
I would be looking on the website of the manufacturer of your
printer/scanner and try to find Vista drivers.I am running a Canon Pixma
MP170 with XP drivers on a Vista 64 bit machine.
The printer drivers work fine but the Scanner drivers are using Vista
Scanner drivers.
peter
"carol c" <carol c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a new computer with vista installed - can i install a new copy of
>xp
> and then at a later date go back to the orginal vista? i want use my old
> scanner
> and printer that vista doesn't support.

mikeyhsd

Re: vista to xp to vista
what printer/scanner, there are some tricks to making them work.
version of vista (32/64) and printer/scanner manufacturer and model would help.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"carol c" <carol c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4868F10A-59A2-4D98-9573-705D977D525D@microsoft.com...
i have a new computer with vista installed - can i install a new copy of xp
and then at a later date go back to the orginal vista? i want use my old
scanner
and printer that vista doesn't support.

=?Utf-8?B?Y2Fyb2wgYw==?=

Re: vista to xp to vista
thanks for the help- seems the only trick to getting old printers and
scanners to work with vista is to buy new ones, but even that doesn't
work....bought an HP a1700n with a HP C4180 at Best Buy. After an 8 hr.
download of new drivers it still didn't work---took it back. Have given up on
vista. will be going back to xp and never again being a 'test market' for
microsoft!!!

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> what printer/scanner, there are some tricks to making them work.
> version of vista (32/64) and printer/scanner manufacturer and model would help.
>
> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>
> "carol c" <carol c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4868F10A-59A2-4D98-9573-705D977D525D@microsoft.com...
> i have a new computer with vista installed - can i install a new copy of xp
> and then at a later date go back to the orginal vista? i want use my old
> scanner
> and printer that vista doesn't support

Rock

Re: vista to xp to vista
"carol c" <carolc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> thanks for the help- seems the only trick to getting old printers and
> scanners to work with vista is to buy new ones, but even that doesn't
> work....bought an HP a1700n with a HP C4180 at Best Buy. After an 8 hr.
> download of new drivers it still didn't work---took it back. Have given up
> on
> vista. will be going back to xp and never again being a 'test market' for
> microsoft!!!
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
>> what printer/scanner, there are some tricks to making them work.
>> version of vista (32/64) and printer/scanner manufacturer and model would
>> help.
>>
>> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>>
>> "carol c" <carol c@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> i have a new computer with vista installed - can i install a new copy
>> of xp
>> and then at a later date go back to the orginal vista? i want use my
>> old
>> scanner
>> and printer that vista doesn't support

Drivers are the province of the hardware makers. This same problem occurred
with XP, legacy printer and scanner support is poor by the hardware makers.
My nice NEC Superscript 860 laser printer doesn't have a Vista compatible
driver, either. I am dual booting right now with XP for printing
capability. The problem you had with the new printers is due to the poor
drivers that printer makers wrote.

There are plenty of printers that work in Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: vista to xp to vista
Hello Carol Couple simple ways. Canon pixma scanner/printers work well with
vista 2! buy a second hard drive install xp and you have dual boot system

I have 2 hard drives one vista one xp when i start mt system i press f10 and
chose what drive i boot to.