XP Pro to Vista Business Upgrade

John Leonard - Sage

XP Pro to Vista Business Upgrade
Read a lot re the installation problems with most other combinations.

I can not find much about " my needs - XP Prof to Vista Business Upgrade".

Two questions:

1) Is there a procedure manual to assist with installation? - I already
purchased the Upgrade and have read the manual with it.
2) Any know problems - other than the standard "Upgrade Advisor Checks"

Any thought or recommendations?

JimR

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business Upgrade
"John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Read a lot re the installation problems with most other combinations.
>
> I can not find much about " my needs - XP Prof to Vista Business Upgrade".
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a procedure manual to assist with installation? - I already
> purchased the Upgrade and have read the manual with it.
> 2) Any know problems - other than the standard "Upgrade Advisor Checks"
>
> Any thought or recommendations?

Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor. Uninstall all software and hardware the
Advisor shows as incompatible.

Uninstall all peripherals ( printers, external drives etc.)
Uninstall antivirus, active antispyware, third party firewall if present.
There is a really thorough step by step guide published by John Barnett
here - http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install_windows_vista.htm

--
Jim

John Leonard - Sage

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business Upgrade
Thanks Jim

I need to look at "Un-install" - do you mean to deactivate Norton (and
others) or uninstall it/them?
"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message
> "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Read a lot re the installation problems with most other combinations.
>>
>> I can not find much about " my needs - XP Prof to Vista Business
>> Upgrade".
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a procedure manual to assist with installation? - I already
>> purchased the Upgrade and have read the manual with it.
>> 2) Any know problems - other than the standard "Upgrade Advisor Checks"
>>
>> Any thought or recommendations?
>>

> Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor. Uninstall all software and hardware the
> Advisor shows as incompatible.
>
> Uninstall all peripherals ( printers, external drives etc.)
> Uninstall antivirus, active antispyware, third party firewall if present.
> There is a really thorough step by step guide published by John Barnett
> here - http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install_windows_vista.htm
>

> --
> Jim

JimR

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business Upgrade
"John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Read a lot re the installation problems with most other combinations.
>
> I can not find much about " my needs - XP Prof to Vista Business Upgrade".
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a procedure manual to assist with installation? - I already
> purchased the Upgrade and have read the manual with it.
> 2) Any know problems - other than the standard "Upgrade Advisor Checks"
>
> Any thought or recommendations?

Uninstall. Even though some av and firewalls support Vista, uninstalling
them first will minimize install problems and also ensure that the version
you install later will support Vista.

--
Jim

John Leonard - Sage