Upgrade disk

doonboggle

Upgrade disk
Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not do
it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install Vista
anew ... with no ties back to XP.
Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade ones.

--
doon
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade disk
No. You need a "full version" of Windows Vista
to perform a clean install on an empty hard drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"doonboggle" <doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not
do
it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install Vista
anew ... with no ties back to XP.
Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade ones.

--
doon

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade disk
P.S. About 50% of the Microsoft software sold on
auction web sites, such as eBay, has been found to
be non-genuine, counterfeit copies.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"doonboggle" <doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not
do
it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install Vista
anew ... with no ties back to XP.
Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade ones.

--
doon

Ian D

Re: Upgrade disk

"doonboggle" <doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not
> do
> it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install
> Vista
> anew ... with no ties back to XP.
> Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade
> ones.
>
> --
> doon

Yes, info here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=196

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade disk
Sorry, but that is an out-of-date article that did
not take into account that Windows Genuine Advantage
will flag an "upgrade license only" as non-genuine.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ian D" <taurus@nowhere.com> wrote in message

"doonboggle" <doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not
> do
> it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install
> Vista
> anew ... with no ties back to XP.
> Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade
> ones.
>
> --
> doon

Yes, info here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=196

Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrade disk
Why don't you buy an OEM disk?
They are cheaper than an upgrade disk.

"doonboggle" wrote:

> Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not do
> it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install Vista
> anew ... with no ties back to XP.
> Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade ones.
>
> --
> doon

Dwarf

RE: Upgrade disk
Hi doonboggle,

Yes, you can use an upgrade disk. For full instructions, please see my post
'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup. I
strongly advise you to purchase a legitimate copy of Vista as software on
Ebay has been found to be counterfeit in the past. However, if you choose to
use Ebay, you do so at your own risk.
Dwarf

"doonboggle" wrote:

> Can I use an 'Upgrade' Vista disk to initially install? I prefer to not do
> it thru XP ... but instead to totally re-format my hd and then install Vista
> anew ... with no ties back to XP.
> Plus, an 'Upgrade' disk on Ebay is a lot cheaper than the non-upgrade ones.
>
> --
> doon

Ian D

Re: Upgrade disk

> Sorry, but that is an out-of-date article that did
> not take into account that Windows Genuine Advantage
> will flag an "upgrade license only" as non-genuine.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

What happens in the case of upgrading from Win 2K,
where the only upgrade path is a clean install, therefore
Win 2K will be wiped and only the Vista upgrade license
will be present?

The reason I ask is that I have an uninstalled W2K disk
with license that I would install solely for the purpose of
doing a clean upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I have XPPro,
but won't upgrade from that as I want to preserve its
license.

David B.

Re: Upgrade disk
Carey, why are you still posting this drivel, it is entirely, 100%
incorrect, We had this discussion a month or so ago and you were proven
wrong, why do you persist in passing on these lies?
License agreement aside, the answer to the OP's question is yes it can be
done, and NO it will not get flagged as non genuine.

--

----

> Sorry, but that is an out-of-date article that did
> not take into account that Windows Genuine Advantage
> will flag an "upgrade license only" as non-genuine.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade disk
Perhaps you would like to pay for a full license
for each user when their systems become non-genuine.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP