Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa

Maven

Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
My understanding is that you can dual boot XP and Vista but not Vista and
XP (yet). Has anyone done this successfully? If I buy a Vista machine I am
told that I cannot dual boot it with Vista since no Bootloader is supported.
Thanks for all replies. Confused

CZ

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
>> My understanding is that you can dual boot XP and Vista but not Vista and
XP (yet). Has anyone done this successfully? If I buy a Vista machine I am
told that I cannot dual boot it with Vista since no Bootloader is supported.
Thanks for all replies. Confused

Maven:

These are the steps I used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM.

Disk was clean (no partritions)
Boot via Vista DVD
Create C:
Install Vista into C:
Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
(D: is the CD/DVD drive)

Boot via XP CD
Select E: as target
Install XP into E:

When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

Maven

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
CZ that sounds way too complicated for me. I wanted to dual boot on a Vista
notebook. Yesterday I found a HP DV9040 notebook demo at a local store. It
has dual SATA drives that are good candidates for the process. Please check
it out and let me know what you think. Thanks maven
"CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> wrote in message
>>> My understanding is that you can dual boot XP and Vista but not Vista
>>> and

> XP (yet). Has anyone done this successfully? If I buy a Vista machine I am
> told that I cannot dual boot it with Vista since no Bootloader is
> supported.
> Thanks for all replies. Confused
>
> Maven:
>
> These are the steps I used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM.
>
> Disk was clean (no partritions)
> Boot via Vista DVD
> Create C:
> Install Vista into C:
> Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
> (D: is the CD/DVD drive)
>
> Boot via XP CD
> Select E: as target
> Install XP into E:
>
> When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
> Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol
>
> Boot via Vista DVD
> Select Repair Your Computer
> Select Vistal vol
> Select Startup Repair
> (no notice of finding an error)
> Reboot per prompt
>
> Boot into Vista
> Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
> Do the BCD backup
> Select "Manage OS Entries"
> Select "Add new op system entry"
> Select "Windows Legacy"
> Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
> Select drive letter E:
> Select Apply
>
> Reboot
> Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

mikeyhsd

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
the dual boot process if extremely easy and automatic if the OLDER os is installed first.
if you install a newer one and then want to install the older one into a dual boot situation it normal to expect problems.
there are 2 3rd party programs that can deal with the new vista boot loader and help fix things up when screwed up in this manner.
vistabootpro and easybcd, be sure and get the latest versions.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Maven" <cbj97@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OZLglTMTHHA.1364@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
My understanding is that you can dual boot XP and Vista but not Vista and
XP (yet). Has anyone done this successfully? If I buy a Vista machine I am
told that I cannot dual boot it with Vista since no Bootloader is supported.
Thanks for all replies. Confused

CZ

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
>> the dual boot process if extremely easy and automatic if the OLDER os is
>> installed first.

if you install a newer one and then want to install the older one into a
dual boot situation it normal to expect problems.
there are 2 3rd party programs that can deal with the new vista boot loader
and help fix things up when screwed up in this manner.
vistabootpro and easybcd, be sure and get the latest versions.

Mike:

A BCD editor like VistaBootPro and EasyBCD is insufficient to make
installing XP after Vista work. You must also copy the ntldr file and use
Vista's Startup Repair. Have you tried doing it your way?

You have to do the following:
When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

mikeyhsd

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
not true, have repaired xp boot and vista boot by using bcdedit.

"CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> wrote in message news:exnTgXSTHHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> the dual boot process if extremely easy and automatic if the OLDER os is
>> installed first.

if you install a newer one and then want to install the older one into a
dual boot situation it normal to expect problems.
there are 2 3rd party programs that can deal with the new vista boot loader
and help fix things up when screwed up in this manner.
vistabootpro and easybcd, be sure and get the latest versions.

Mike:

A BCD editor like VistaBootPro and EasyBCD is insufficient to make
installing XP after Vista work. You must also copy the ntldr file and use
Vista's Startup Repair. Have you tried doing it your way?

You have to do the following:
When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

Maven

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
How?
"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23AV9lQUTHHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
not true, have repaired xp boot and vista boot by using bcdedit.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> wrote in message news:exnTgXSTHHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> the dual boot process if extremely easy and automatic if the OLDER os is
>> installed first.

if you install a newer one and then want to install the older one into a
dual boot situation it normal to expect problems.
there are 2 3rd party programs that can deal with the new vista boot loader
and help fix things up when screwed up in this manner.
vistabootpro and easybcd, be sure and get the latest versions.

Mike:

A BCD editor like VistaBootPro and EasyBCD is insufficient to make
installing XP after Vista work. You must also copy the ntldr file and use
Vista's Startup Repair. Have you tried doing it your way?

You have to do the following:
When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

CZ

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
>> not true, have repaired xp boot and vista boot by using bcdedit.

Mike:

But have you installed XP after installing Vista?
Per your comments, I would say you have not as follows:
When you install XP it changes the vol boot code to call ntldr, and this is
why Vista is not bootable.
You cannot fix this with a BCD editor, you must use Vista's Startup Repair
or Vista's bootsec cmd to change the vol boot code to call Vista's bootmgr.
By not discussing this issue, you are telling me you have not installed XP
after Vista.

As a separate issue you also need to edit the BCD store to include a
reference to XP, and a BCD editor is the best tool to use to do this.

CZ

Re: Dual Booting XP and Vista and Vice Versa
>> I wanted to dual boot on a Vista
notebook. Yesterday I found a HP DV9040 notebook demo at a local store. It
has dual SATA drives that are good candidates for the process. Please check
it out and let me know what you think.

Maven:

Do you have a URL reference for details on that HP computer? HP.com does
not have it.