Does a Vista Upgrade kill the XP product key?

Barry Watzman

Does a Vista Upgrade kill the XP product key?
Ok, question:

And, please, I would like to only receive answers from people who have
actually done this; not from those who THINK that they know the answer.

If you install a Vista upgrade copy, starting from a copy of XP, does
the installation of the Vista upgrade cause the Microsoft servers to
invalidate (for the purposes of future product activation and WGA
checks) the Windows XP product key which the upgrade is being installed
over? e.g. that product key will not be capable of future activations
(on the same machine), and will fail WGA checks?

If so, how would you do a reinstallation in the future, since before
reinstalling Vista (say if the hard drive dies), you are supposed to
first reinstall AND ACTIVATE the old copy of XP.
Peter Foldes

Re: Does a Vista Upgrade kill the XP product key?
If you have the XP Product Key and if is valid then there should be no problem whatsoever to do a re-installation of XP

--
Peter

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:uoDio5KTHHA.496@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Ok, question:
>
> And, please, I would like to only receive answers from people who have
> actually done this; not from those who THINK that they know the answer.
>
> If you install a Vista upgrade copy, starting from a copy of XP, does
> the installation of the Vista upgrade cause the Microsoft servers to
> invalidate (for the purposes of future product activation and WGA
> checks) the Windows XP product key which the upgrade is being installed
> over? e.g. that product key will not be capable of future activations
> (on the same machine), and will fail WGA checks?
>
> If so, how would you do a reinstallation in the future, since before
> reinstalling Vista (say if the hard drive dies), you are supposed to
> first reinstall AND ACTIVATE the old copy of XP.

Peter Foldes

Re: Does a Vista Upgrade kill the XP product key?
Is your XP Product Key a legal one? If it is then see my previous answer to you. If not then you have a problem.

--
Peter

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:uoDio5KTHHA.496@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Ok, question:
>
> And, please, I would like to only receive answers from people who have
> actually done this; not from those who THINK that they know the answer.
>
> If you install a Vista upgrade copy, starting from a copy of XP, does
> the installation of the Vista upgrade cause the Microsoft servers to
> invalidate (for the purposes of future product activation and WGA
> checks) the Windows XP product key which the upgrade is being installed
> over? e.g. that product key will not be capable of future activations
> (on the same machine), and will fail WGA checks?
>
> If so, how would you do a reinstallation in the future, since before
> reinstalling Vista (say if the hard drive dies), you are supposed to
> first reinstall AND ACTIVATE the old copy of XP.

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: Does a Vista Upgrade kill the XP product key?
Hello Barry. I bought and installed vista media edtion upgrade on the 30th
and installed it. i later bought a second hard drive and decided to reinstall
Xp media on the new drive so i have both XP and Vista on 2 different drives i
add no proplem with XP but had to phone microsoft (as ) XP seen the new
drive and needed to be Validated again.

So has to your Question from doing it myself NOT A PROBLEM!!! good luck
and enjoy.