Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business

=?Utf-8?B?SVQ=?=

Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business
I run Windows XP OEM Professional and would like to upgrade to Vista
Business. Am I entitled to upgrade pricing or to I need to pay full. also can
I over install or do I need to do a clean install?

Thanks

IT PHYTOSAN
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business
Purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows Vista Business
and upgrade.

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"IT" wrote:

I run Windows XP OEM Professional and would like to upgrade to Vista
Business. Am I entitled to upgrade pricing or to I need to pay full. also can
I over install or do I need to do a clean install?

Thanks

IT PHYTOSAN
=?Utf-8?B?SVQ=?=

Re: Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business
Thanks for your quick reply. We use OLP at the company. Will "Windows Vista
Business English UPG OLP NL" Do the trick for an XP Professional OEM machine?

Thanks

II PHYTOSAN

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows Vista Business
> and upgrade.
>
> Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "IT" wrote:
>
> I run Windows XP OEM Professional and would like to upgrade to Vista
> Business. Am I entitled to upgrade pricing or to I need to pay full. also can
> I over install or do I need to do a clean install?
>
> Thanks
>
> IT PHYTOSAN

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business
Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor for a definitive answer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows Vista Business
> and upgrade.
>
> Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "IT" wrote:
>
> I run Windows XP OEM Professional and would like to upgrade to Vista
> Business. Am I entitled to upgrade pricing or to I need to pay full. also can
> I over install or do I need to do a clean install?
>
> Thanks
>
> IT PHYTOSAN

Adam Albright

Re: Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:17:08 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor for a definitive answer.

You got to be kidding... a "definitive" answer from the piece of junk
called the Vista Upgrade Advisor?

I used it, and it told me I would have NO PROBLEMS installing Vista,
proudly displaying a green check mark of approval yet noting it
couldn't find any information on some of my drivers. So I accepted
this "sage" wisdom since it came directly from a Microsoft tool and
attempted to install. At 21% in, it crashed with a 7B BSOD.

Only after I disabled the "questionable" drivers Vista advisor simply
claimed it didn't know about and further claiming they would NOT be a
problem, but may cause some "minor" issues, was I successful in
installed the business version of Vista.

My advise, for sure run the Vista Upgrade Advisor, but if it nags
about anything, even slightly or lists drivers of any kind or type it
can't find information on DO NOT attempt to install unless and until
your clear, disable or remove same devices from your system PRIOR to
attempting to install Vista or likely the install process with crash
before finishing generating a BSOD.

Rock

Re: Ugrade Windows XP OEM to vista Business
"IT" <IT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I run Windows XP OEM Professional and would like to upgrade to Vista
> Business. Am I entitled to upgrade pricing or to I need to pay full. also
> can
> I over install or do I need to do a clean install?

Yes you can upgrade XP OEM to Vista Business using the upgrade version. You
do not need a full version. Make an image of the XP installation before
doing the upgrade. Remove all AV programs, firewalls, CD/DVD burning
software and any software that uses drivers like DLA, make sure there are
Vista drivers for all your hardware. Check that all your software is Vista
compatible by checking on the software vendor's web site. Disconnect all
peripherals and do the upgrade with a bare bones hardware configuration.
Add hardware back one item at a time after the upgrade.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]