SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround?

Steve Maser

SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround?
So, if you have a machine with SoundMax drivers on it, you have to
uninstall them before you run sysprep.

If you forget to do this (I have, unfortunately), you hose your Vista
install and need to start over.

Has anybody figured out a better way to deal with machines that have
these drivers in them?

Thanks!

- Steve
Albright

Re: SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround?
Steve Maser <maser@umich.edu> wrote:

> So, if you have a machine with SoundMax drivers on it, you have to
> uninstall them before you run sysprep.
>
> If you forget to do this (I have, unfortunately), you hose your Vista
> install and need to start over.
>
> Has anybody figured out a better way to deal with machines that have
> these drivers in them?

yeah, get one of these....

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

problem solved!
Daniel

Re: SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround?
Albright

I'm not sure if you understand the question and please forgive me if you are
lacking in
intelectual resources but the link you provided in your post is not in any
way a resolution
or answer to the question.

regards

Daniel

"Albright" <altallen@geeksquad.com> wrote in message
> Steve Maser <maser@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> So, if you have a machine with SoundMax drivers on it, you have to
>> uninstall them before you run sysprep.
>>
>> If you forget to do this (I have, unfortunately), you hose your Vista
>> install and need to start over.
>>
>> Has anybody figured out a better way to deal with machines that have
>> these drivers in them?

> yeah, get one of these....
>
> http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
>
> problem solved!

Michael Palumbo

"Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
> Albright
>
> I'm not sure if you understand the question and please forgive me if you
> are lacking in
> intelectual resources but the link you provided in your post is not in any
> way a resolution
> or answer to the question.
>
> regards
>
> Daniel
>
> "Albright" <altallen@geeksquad.com> wrote in message
>> Steve Maser <maser@umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> So, if you have a machine with SoundMax drivers on it, you have to
>>> uninstall them before you run sysprep.
>>>
>>> If you forget to do this (I have, unfortunately), you hose your Vista
>>> install and need to start over.
>>>
>>> Has anybody figured out a better way to deal with machines that have
>>> these drivers in them?

>> yeah, get one of these....
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
>>
>> problem solved!

People that do that (tell you to buy a totally unrelated product to fix a
problem) think they are being jocular and don't realize they are just being
ignorant and wasting bandwidth, and time.

Mic

Daniel

"Michael Palumbo" <micjustmic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
>> Albright
>>
>> I'm not sure if you understand the question and please forgive me if you
>> are lacking in
>> intelectual resources but the link you provided in your post is not in
>> any way a resolution
>> or answer to the question.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> "Albright" <altallen@geeksquad.com> wrote in message

>>> yeah, get one of these....
>>>
>>> http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
>>>
>>> problem solved!

> People that do that (tell you to buy a totally unrelated product to fix a
> problem) think they are being jocular and don't realize they are just
> being ignorant and wasting bandwidth, and time.
>
> Mic

Right! And the other thing it does is it makes it look like someone has
responded to the call for help,
so people who know move onto the next unanswered post.

cheers

Daniel

joebo

Re: SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround?

I know this thread is fairly old, but I was just running into the same
issue on GX620's. Dell has no drivers i could fin on their site, just
XP drivers which don't work. If you use windows to search it will find
drivers, but they will crash your sysprep. I found the true soundmax
drivers for vista which when installed work fine with all dell
computers running vista. Also, some people have come accross the
sysprep has encountered a fatal error and i have a work around i
found.

Run regedit
Local Machine\System\Setup\Status\Sysprep Status
Make sure the value for generlization string is 7 if not change it
From a command prompt do the following:
msdtc -uninstall
msdtc -install

the msdtc gets corrupt and causes this problem. This resolves the
issue.

--
joebo
joebo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40609

http://forums.techarena.in

Alpha Bravo

Re: SoundMax drivers and sysprep -- better workaround?

Albright, I thought your response was hilarious. Have a cup of decaf
guys, it's called humor.

Joebo thanks for the post.

--
Alpha Bravo
Alpha Bravo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/alpha-bravo.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Big D

Alpha Bravo <Alpha.Bravo.3i5w7b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Albright, I thought your response was hilarious. Have a cup of decaf
>guys, it's called humor.

Albright has probably forgotten what was posted since it was posted
almost two years ago.