Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke

Scott Micale

Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
Ok so I wanted to install Vista on my home PC so I ran the Advisory tool and
it says I should load Home Premium. It scans my system and says my computer
will run Vista, but list a few devices that will need to be taken care of.
It says I will need to install a CD/DVD burner because my CD rom won't work
after the install. Not sure why it is saying that because I have a DVD-Rom
in my system now and not a CD-Rom. It said I would probably need to change
my video card, because the one I have does not support Aero which is no big
deal to me. So now I start the installation and it then tells me I need
device drivers for my Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, and one other. I am
assuming that means those are drivers from my motherboard manufacturer
(Intel) correct? So I go to the Intel website to see if there are any Vista
drivers and I can't find anything. So now what do I do? Why did the
Advisory Tool tell my system could handle Vista, but really it can't because
it can't find device drivers so that it will be able to access my IDE drives
to it can load Vista. Just does not make any sense to me. Does anyone know
how I can get around this? I can send my advisory report if someone wants
to look at it, but just let me know how I post it to this newsgroup.

Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?eWFua3Npbmdo?=

RE: Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
check for any bios updates for your system. that resolves many setup issues.
check for firmware update for your dvd drive.

"Scott Micale" wrote:

> Ok so I wanted to install Vista on my home PC so I ran the Advisory tool and
> it says I should load Home Premium. It scans my system and says my computer
> will run Vista, but list a few devices that will need to be taken care of.
> It says I will need to install a CD/DVD burner because my CD rom won't work
> after the install. Not sure why it is saying that because I have a DVD-Rom
> in my system now and not a CD-Rom. It said I would probably need to change
> my video card, because the one I have does not support Aero which is no big
> deal to me. So now I start the installation and it then tells me I need
> device drivers for my Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, and one other. I am
> assuming that means those are drivers from my motherboard manufacturer
> (Intel) correct? So I go to the Intel website to see if there are any Vista
> drivers and I can't find anything. So now what do I do? Why did the
> Advisory Tool tell my system could handle Vista, but really it can't because
> it can't find device drivers so that it will be able to access my IDE drives
> to it can load Vista. Just does not make any sense to me. Does anyone know
> how I can get around this? I can send my advisory report if someone wants
> to look at it, but just let me know how I post it to this newsgroup.
>
> Thanks!

Adam Albright

Re: Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:27:09 -0500, "Scott Micale"
<hrm_admin@news.postalias> wrote:

>Ok so I wanted to install Vista on my home PC so I ran the Advisory tool and
>it says I should load Home Premium. It scans my system and says my computer
>will run Vista, but list a few devices that will need to be taken care of.
>It says I will need to install a CD/DVD burner because my CD rom won't work
>after the install. Not sure why it is saying that because I have a DVD-Rom
>in my system now and not a CD-Rom. It said I would probably need to change
>my video card, because the one I have does not support Aero which is no big
>deal to me. So now I start the installation and it then tells me I need
>device drivers for my Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, and one other. I am
>assuming that means those are drivers from my motherboard manufacturer
>(Intel) correct? So I go to the Intel website to see if there are any Vista
>drivers and I can't find anything. So now what do I do? Why did the
>Advisory Tool tell my system could handle Vista, but really it can't because
>it can't find device drivers so that it will be able to access my IDE drives
>to it can load Vista. Just does not make any sense to me. Does anyone know
>how I can get around this? I can send my advisory report if someone wants
>to look at it, but just let me know how I post it to this newsgroup.
>
>Thanks!

Hmm... The Vista Upgrade Advisor reminded me of Selective Service when
I got my greetings letter from my local draft board way back in the
60's. After parading around half naked for hours, we were told if you
walked into the room, you "passed" your physical.

My experince which seems typical judging on what I've read here and
elsewhere is if the Upgrade Advisor flags ANYTHING, even just saying
it doesn't know about device X, but quickly saying it shouldn't
present a problem, chances are very good at some point during the
install you will see a stop 7b and the infmaous blue screen of death
and the install process will come to a crashing halt with you left
with a half installed OS and if you're lucky a dual boot menu that
lets you get back into XP to hopefully try again after disabling or
removing devices the Vista install doesn't like even a little.

My advice, you MUST fix ALL the things the Upgrade Advisor nags about
BEFORE trying to install Vista or you very likely will get stuck in
install hell with endless cycles of getting nowhere fast.

What bugged me out too is the Advisor tells you go ahead you can
install Vista, but the actual install process crashes on devices the
Advisor said shouldn't present a problem. So yep, the Vista Upgrade
Advisor needs work. That's a understaement.

Scott Micale

Re: Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
I checked the Intel Website and there are no Bios updates that are related
to Vista. Is there another way to get IDE drives accessible or am I stuck
on waiting for the fist SP to drop?

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> [...]

> present a problem, chances are very good at some point during the
> install you will see a stop 7b and the infmaous blue screen of death
> and the install process will come to a crashing halt with you left
> with a half installed OS and if you're lucky a dual boot menu that
> lets you get back into XP to hopefully try again after disabling or
> removing devices the Vista install doesn't like even a little.
>
> My advice, you MUST fix ALL the things the Upgrade Advisor nags about
> BEFORE trying to install Vista or you very likely will get stuck in
> install hell with endless cycles of getting nowhere fast.
>
> What bugged me out too is the Advisor tells you go ahead you can
> install Vista, but the actual install process crashes on devices the
> Advisor said shouldn't present a problem. So yep, the Vista Upgrade
> Advisor needs work. That's a understaement.

Jane C

Re: Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
Scott, what motherboard make and model? The IDE controller should be listed
on the manufacturers spec sheets.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Scott Micale" <hrm_admin@news.postalias> wrote in message
> [...]

>> present a problem, chances are very good at some point during the
>> install you will see a stop 7b and the infmaous blue screen of death
>> and the install process will come to a crashing halt with you left
>> with a half installed OS and if you're lucky a dual boot menu that
>> lets you get back into XP to hopefully try again after disabling or
>> removing devices the Vista install doesn't like even a little.
>>
>> My advice, you MUST fix ALL the things the Upgrade Advisor nags about
>> BEFORE trying to install Vista or you very likely will get stuck in
>> install hell with endless cycles of getting nowhere fast.
>>
>> What bugged me out too is the Advisor tells you go ahead you can
>> install Vista, but the actual install process crashes on devices the
>> Advisor said shouldn't present a problem. So yep, the Vista Upgrade
>> Advisor needs work. That's a understaement.

It is a Inel Desktop Board Model D845PEBT2.

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Scott, what motherboard make and model? The IDE controller should be
> listed on the manufacturers spec sheets.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Scott Micale" <hrm_admin@news.postalias> wrote in message
>>I checked the Intel Website and there are no Bios updates that are related
>>to Vista. Is there another way to get IDE drives accessible or am I stuck
>>on waiting for the fist SP to drop?
>>

>> "Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message

>>> Hmm... The Vista Upgrade Advisor reminded me of Selective Service when
>>> I got my greetings letter from my local draft board way back in the
>>> 60's. After parading around half naked for hours, we were told if you
>>> walked into the room, you "passed" your physical.
>>>
>>> My experince which seems typical judging on what I've read here and
>>> elsewhere is if the Upgrade Advisor flags ANYTHING, even just saying
>>> it doesn't know about device X, but quickly saying it shouldn't
>>> present a problem, chances are very good at some point during the
>>> install you will see a stop 7b and the infmaous blue screen of death
>>> and the install process will come to a crashing halt with you left
>>> with a half installed OS and if you're lucky a dual boot menu that
>>> lets you get back into XP to hopefully try again after disabling or
>>> removing devices the Vista install doesn't like even a little.
>>>
>>> My advice, you MUST fix ALL the things the Upgrade Advisor nags about
>>> BEFORE trying to install Vista or you very likely will get stuck in
>>> install hell with endless cycles of getting nowhere fast.
>>>
>>> What bugged me out too is the Advisor tells you go ahead you can
>>> install Vista, but the actual install process crashes on devices the
>>> Advisor said shouldn't present a problem. So yep, the Vista Upgrade
>>> Advisor needs work. That's a understaement.

Jane C

Re: Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bt2/ I see no mention of anything
other than Intel chipset for the IDE controller, but as this is an older
model motherboard, there may well not be any chipset drivers available for
Vista.

List of Vista capable Intel motherboards:
http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...ista/index.htm

--
> It is a Inel Desktop Board Model D845PEBT2.
>

> "Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
>> Scott, what motherboard make and model? The IDE controller should be
>> listed on the manufacturers spec sheets.
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> "Scott Micale" <hrm_admin@news.postalias> wrote in message
>>>I checked the Intel Website and there are no Bios updates that are
>>>related to Vista. Is there another way to get IDE drives accessible or
>>>am I stuck on waiting for the fist SP to drop?

Scott Micale

Re: Vista Advisory Tool is a Joke
Looks like I am out of luck with this. Unless Intel decides later to
release some drivers for it. You think that is possible?