Reinstalling Vista from a Vista Upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?cmVkZXll?=

Reinstalling Vista from a Vista Upgrade
Hi All,

I have noticed that with with Vista, you have the option to pay for an
upgrade from say home to business. The question is, if the o/s needed to be
rebuild, how would upgraded back to say business if you purchsed the upgrade
when you have the home disk. The same question would go for the preinstalled
Office 2007 which allows you to purchase the product online, how would it be
reinstalled?

Many Thanks
Steve
=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNDaGlja2Vu?=

RE: Reinstalling Vista from a Vista Upgrade
This is a good question. From what I've been able to deduce in the KB, you
always have to have the original version installed first, if you have used
the anytime upgrade. Which kind of sucks, because I have a copy of business,
but have xp media center on my comp, and want to upgrade to ultimate. I have
vista business on a seperate partition now, and I'm pretty sure that if I use
that to upgrade to ultimate, I still won't be able to do an in place upgrade
to the xp.. i'll have to do a clean business install anyway.

"redeye" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that with with Vista, you have the option to pay for an
> upgrade from say home to business. The question is, if the o/s needed to be
> rebuild, how would upgraded back to say business if you purchsed the upgrade
> when you have the home disk. The same question would go for the preinstalled
> Office 2007 which allows you to purchase the product online, how would it be
> reinstalled?
>
> Many Thanks
> Steve

Zim Babwe

Re: Reinstalling Vista from a Vista Upgrade
No you don't

http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html

"HellsChicken" <HellsChicken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a good question. From what I've been able to deduce in the KB,
> you
> always have to have the original version installed first, if you have used
> the anytime upgrade. Which kind of sucks, because I have a copy of
> business,
> but have xp media center on my comp, and want to upgrade to ultimate. I
> have
> vista business on a seperate partition now, and I'm pretty sure that if I
> use
> that to upgrade to ultimate, I still won't be able to do an in place
> upgrade
> to the xp.. i'll have to do a clean business install anyway.
>
> "redeye" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have noticed that with with Vista, you have the option to pay for an
>> upgrade from say home to business. The question is, if the o/s needed to
>> be
>> rebuild, how would upgraded back to say business if you purchsed the
>> upgrade
>> when you have the home disk. The same question would go for the
>> preinstalled
>> Office 2007 which allows you to purchase the product online, how would it
>> be
>> reinstalled?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNDaGlja2Vu?=

Re: Reinstalling Vista from a Vista Upgrade
Zim,

I believe that article was how to use a Vista upgrade version for a clean
install, but the question here was actually using an anytime upgrade version
for a clean install. For instance, if you purchased Vista Business, upgraded
it to Ultimate, then get a new computer with a blank hard drive or, say, XP
loaded on, can you go straight to ultimate since you bought that anytime
upgrade? I'm pretty sure that you can't, since even if you don't put in a
key, it'll just install based on the original software version.