Windows lied about RAID controller being OK

=?Utf-8?B?Z2VybWFuaXRhcw==?=

Windows lied about RAID controller being OK
When I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, it assured me that my hardware
was compatible with Windows Vista Business. After 75% of the installation
phase, the computer kept booting and rebooting. Evidentily, the Syba ATA133
PCI IDE 32Bit RAID Controller Card on my Systemax Ventura does not have a
compatible driver even though Windows said so before while it was running
WinXP. Now even the BIOS cannot determine what the two 80 GB HDD are and
even cannot tell they exist at all. When I tried the repair feature on the
Vista disk, and used the driver from the manufacturer, the C:\ drive was
recognized but then when the system reboots, it goes back to being hidden
again. I would NOT have tried an upgrade had the Windows Advisor not
deceived me in the first place. Now my system is unusable. The data on the
drives is still there and essential but I cannot access it. I do not have
the original WinXP disk since the computer came preloaded. I had no trouble
upgrading other computers to Vista Business or to Vista Ultimate. PLEASE
ADVISE.
mikeyhsd

Re: Windows lied about RAID controller being OK
the hardware being compatible does not necessarily mean that the manufacturer has already produced drivers in time for MS to include them in the release version.

lots of people are finding that they need to find up to date drivers from the manufacturers web site.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"germanitas" <germanitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D82A805-F595-4B66-AAA5-6FFB63746227@microsoft.com...
[...]

I appreciate the difference between compatible hardware and the necessity of
manufacturers to provide drivers, HOWEVER, the Vista ADVISOR should
distinguish by going ONLINE as it does and ascertaining if the needed drivers
do in fact exist BEFORE someone finds out the hard way like I did. Why does
the Advisor alert you to outdated software programs BEFORE you install but
cannot tell you ahead of time that your device driver is also out of date or
incompatible?