Bad boy Vista! BAD!

Adam Albright

Bad boy Vista! BAD!
I walked away from my computer to come back and find it must have
rebooted in my absence. I look in the Event Viewer and find this
"event":

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file):
'\??\C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\W indows\UsrClass.dat'
was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been
lost.

Yea I guess, because when it rebooted it trashed my desktop that had
about 50 icons I had arranged as I wanted and now that's gone and who
knows what else it didn't recover lumping them all together instead in
unsorted clump.

Same old Windows... dumb as a doorknob. Don't ever accuse Windows of
having AI, unless you're making a joke.

Now for something more silly. I've used AVGFree antivirus for some
time because it is pretty good, fairly fast, and oh... its free. Well
the old version than ran fine in XP Vista kept whining about
permission issues. So I downloaded a new "Vista Ready" version just
hours ago.

This is the "fun" part:

I download the newest version, it installs. I let it download the
latest updates for new viruses, that installs. I let it do a full scan
of my system. That works fine. It is sitting in the task tray where it
always does in the background. I reboot, to see if my desktop
restores, don't, and now Vista is nagging that AVGFree antivirus is
causing a problem and you guessed it, Vista nags it has to shut it
down. Grrrr!

Wait a minute, I just downloaded a upgrade that's "Vista Ready".
Certified to work with Vista. It DID work. It done all its normal
things including automatically download and install the latest virus
patch database. I ran a full scan of my system, hundreds of thousands
of files, almost a million... no problems found. Sounds like its is
working to me. Now Vista says, get that program out of here...

Some things never change.

Well that's not exactly true. To rub salt into the wound Vista now
nags WHERE you get to save downloads. It wants to put them where IT
wants, not where you tell it to put them. I used to always download
all Internet software I download right to my desktop, so I can find it
quick when I want to install it. You can't anymore without jumping
through hoops. If you try you first got to do the administrator dance,
say please, and keep your fingers cross, go through several screens
and then hope Vista to nag somemore about permissions. I get a kick of
that, your the administration, and Vista shakes its finger at you and
says, no, no, you can't do that.

Remember folks, Vista is a big "improvement" right?

Sorry, yes Vista has a pretty new face, some minor improvements you
can see, (and I actually like) but sorry, Vista is proving to also be
a royal pain in the butt and instead of helping you, more often then
not wants to fight with you for "security" reasons that I'm guessing
legions of hackers are already laughing their ass off at and have
figured out how to bypass already, but for sure Vista has learned new
tricks to piss off paying customers.

I better not come within a 100 yards of any beta tester any time soon.
<snicker>

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
Get a real anti virus. What do you expect from a free virus scanner. how much
effort can one expect from some wana be virus software. you get what you pay
for!!!

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> [...]
> say please, and keep your fingers cross, go through several screens
> and then hope Vista to nag somemore about permissions. I get a kick of
> that, your the administration, and Vista shakes its finger at you and
> says, no, no, you can't do that.
>
> Remember folks, Vista is a big "improvement" right?
>
> Sorry, yes Vista has a pretty new face, some minor improvements you
> can see, (and I actually like) but sorry, Vista is proving to also be
> a royal pain in the butt and instead of helping you, more often then
> not wants to fight with you for "security" reasons that I'm guessing
> legions of hackers are already laughing their ass off at and have
> figured out how to bypass already, but for sure Vista has learned new
> tricks to piss off paying customers.
>
> I better not come within a 100 yards of any beta tester any time soon.

Dale White

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
Well Adam, I think you expectations are a little high. I mean, look at all
the nVidia owners who have 8800GTX cards that said they are Vista Ready, yet
are having nothing but trouble with the cards dur to bad drivers. This is
AVG's first release for Vista. It is possible that they have an issue and
the program isn't working as expected. It wouldn't be the first time a
program caused data loss and corruption, Not sure you can totally balme
Vista for that.

Are you oppose to using Microsoft's Defender program for the time being ?
Also, couldn't it be possible you just have a bad\flaky install ? Though it
sounds like you just don't like Vista, Which is fine. I hate just about
everything they've done to the interface and have 80% of all the new
features turned off.

It's a new product, that's has a learning curve for everyone. Like alot of
people who aren't ready to deal with that learning curve, maybe you want to
consider heading back over to XP until things get straighten out a little
more.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> say please, and keep your fingers cross, go through several screens
> and then hope Vista to nag somemore about permissions. I get a kick of
> that, your the administration, and Vista shakes its finger at you and
> says, no, no, you can't do that.
>
> Remember folks, Vista is a big "improvement" right?
>
> Sorry, yes Vista has a pretty new face, some minor improvements you
> can see, (and I actually like) but sorry, Vista is proving to also be
> a royal pain in the butt and instead of helping you, more often then
> not wants to fight with you for "security" reasons that I'm guessing
> legions of hackers are already laughing their ass off at and have
> figured out how to bypass already, but for sure Vista has learned new
> tricks to piss off paying customers.
>
> I better not come within a 100 yards of any beta tester any time soon.

Adam Albright

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:57:42 -0500, "Dale White"
<dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:

>Well Adam, I think you expectations are a little high. I mean, look at all
>the nVidia owners who have 8800GTX cards that said they are Vista Ready, yet
>are having nothing but trouble with the cards dur to bad drivers. This is
>AVG's first release for Vista. It is possible that they have an issue and
>the program isn't working as expected. It wouldn't be the first time a
>program caused data loss and corruption, Not sure you can totally balme
>Vista for that.
>
>Are you oppose to using Microsoft's Defender program for the time being ?
>Also, couldn't it be possible you just have a bad\flaky install ? Though it
>sounds like you just don't like Vista, Which is fine. I hate just about
>everything they've done to the interface and have 80% of all the new
>features turned off.
>
>It's a new product, that's has a learning curve for everyone. Like alot of
>people who aren't ready to deal with that learning curve, maybe you want to
>consider heading back over to XP until things get straighten out a little
>more.

First, you can't uninstall Vista. Or sure, put XP back from scratch,
but that would be another nightmare. I actually like some of the
changes in the new Vista interface. However I got better things to do
with my time (as I'm sure everybody does) than playing nursemaid to
buggy Microsoft software.

Frankly, the often heard "its a new product, what to you expect"
defense is just lame. Vista is about the 12th major face lift in the
20 years history of Windows and still Microsoft seems unable to
release a version to the public that isn't buggy to one degree or
another. That speaks volumes. More so, when Microsoft is by far the
world's largest software developer. Maybe they shouldn't be if they
can't get their act together and Vista is another sure sign that
things still aren't well in Redmond.

All the Microsoft apologists (read that most MVP's) are if anything
amusing in their defense of their benefactor.

Learning curve? Excuse me, I'm a very expenienced user. I worked with
computers from the late 60's including mainframes and from time to
time dabble in programming myself, but not like I once used to. You
develop a sixth sense. My opinion, Vista wasn't ready. Period. The
point that makes this old dog bark is again I ponied up to the bar and
plopped down my $200 (Business upgrade version) like millions of
others have or will shortly and again I'm assuming the position of
bending over and grabing my ankles while Microsoft laughs all the way
to the bank.

Maybe Congress should take another look at how Microsoft does
business. I can't accept the guys high up on the totem pole didn't
know Vista was as buggy as it obviously is and released it anyway.

Dale M. White

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:57:42 -0500, "Dale White"
> <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:
>

> First, you can't uninstall Vista. Or sure, put XP back from scratch,
> but that would be another nightmare. I actually like some of the
> changes in the new Vista interface. However I got better things to do
> with my time (as I'm sure everybody does) than playing nursemaid to
> buggy Microsoft software.
>
> Frankly, the often heard "its a new product, what to you expect"
> defense is just lame. Vista is about the 12th major face lift in the
> 20 years history of Windows and still Microsoft seems unable to
> release a version to the public that isn't buggy to one degree or
> another. That speaks volumes. More so, when Microsoft is by far the
> world's largest software developer. Maybe they shouldn't be if they
> can't get their act together and Vista is another sure sign that
> things still aren't well in Redmond.
>
> All the Microsoft apologists (read that most MVP's) are if anything
> amusing in their defense of their benefactor.
>
> Learning curve? Excuse me, I'm a very expenienced user. I worked with
> computers from the late 60's including mainframes and from time to
> time dabble in programming myself, but not like I once used to. You
> develop a sixth sense. My opinion, Vista wasn't ready. Period. The
> point that makes this old dog bark is again I ponied up to the bar and
> plopped down my $200 (Business upgrade version) like millions of
> others have or will shortly and again I'm assuming the position of
> bending over and grabing my ankles while Microsoft laughs all the way
> to the bank.

Well, not to offend, but I would think a "very experience user" would know
that Vista and it's apps were not going to be perfect out the door. Most all
the guys who I work with, have zero interest in going to vista for at least
the next year, they take that approach with every Application and OS. And
there is a learning curve regardless of your experience level. I've driven a
car for 20 years, but when I got my new car with all it's high tech gizmos
and alerts, it was a learning curve to get use to them all. Vista has
changed and moved things around, it doesn't work exactly like XP did. There
is no dishonor in admitting you have to get use to the way Vista does things
and works compared to XP. All of us are re-training ourselves

I don't consider myself a Microsoft Apologist either. When Symantec released
BackupExec version 9, it had scores of issues, then came 9.1, it had 54
hotfixes, and then Sp1, then 30 more hot fixes and then SP2, then came
Version 10, then 10 SP1, then 10D, now 10.D SP2, now they are up to version
11. All in 3 years time.
What version is MAC OSX on now ? How many sub releases have they done since
the launch of OS X ? Why is it Microsoft is expected to be perfect on
launch, but so many other companies are not ?

If you don't have time to nursemaid buggy Microsoft software, then why did
you upgrade with no option of going back to XP ? Surely a guy who's been
working with computers since the 60s knows better than that. Heck, half my
novice family members have said they're not going to vista until they have
to. They have a working config, they are happy, Why upgrade just because
something new is out ?

AJR

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
Dale - Amen!

"Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:fqGdnc2y_eL4Y1HYnZ2dnUVZ_smonZ2d@insightbb.co m...

> [...]

> released BackupExec version 9, it had scores of issues, then came 9.1, it
> had 54 hotfixes, and then Sp1, then 30 more hot fixes and then SP2, then
> came Version 10, then 10 SP1, then 10D, now 10.D SP2, now they are up to
> version 11. All in 3 years time.
> What version is MAC OSX on now ? How many sub releases have they done
> since the launch of OS X ? Why is it Microsoft is expected to be perfect
> on launch, but so many other companies are not ?
>
> If you don't have time to nursemaid buggy Microsoft software, then why did
> you upgrade with no option of going back to XP ? Surely a guy who's been
> working with computers since the 60s knows better than that. Heck, half my
> novice family members have said they're not going to vista until they have
> to. They have a working config, they are happy, Why upgrade just because

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
your system must be pretty unstable to begin with. I upgraded to vista with
1 problem mcafee version i had did not work with vista! 1 email and a
download later system runs smooth a silk! better then it did with xp. i have
not had 1 issue with vista even my ati x1600 video card runs better

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> [...]

> amusing in their defense of their benefactor.
>
> Learning curve? Excuse me, I'm a very expenienced user. I worked with
> computers from the late 60's including mainframes and from time to
> time dabble in programming myself, but not like I once used to. You
> develop a sixth sense. My opinion, Vista wasn't ready. Period. The
> point that makes this old dog bark is again I ponied up to the bar and
> plopped down my $200 (Business upgrade version) like millions of
> others have or will shortly and again I'm assuming the position of
> bending over and grabing my ankles while Microsoft laughs all the way
> to the bank.
>
> Maybe Congress should take another look at how Microsoft does
> business. I can't accept the guys high up on the totem pole didn't
> know Vista was as buggy as it obviously is and released it anyway.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 16:23:01 -0800, loaderopp
<loaderopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>your system must be pretty unstable to begin with.

My XP system was rock solid and never had a BSOD until Vista came
along. What really gets me is I wasn't planning on upgrading yet, but
just for the heck of it I downloaded the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it
passed my system telling me installing Vista wouldn't present a
problem, so I went ahead.

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
I never had any problems running Xp But i find it smoother and faster on
vista. I was running Xp media version 2005 And i sure miss my fish tank
screen saver. (my cat misses more then i do i think! ) But thats about all i
miss from Xp. Vista handles du core a better then Xp thats the only reason i
upgraded to vista.

I still have Xp set up on another drive. I thought i might not be able to
run some of my software in Vista. But that has not been the case so far
everything i ran on xp has run in vista!

All my hardware works without a problem even my removable card readers work
without a problem that was one concern i had.... I remember the windows 98
days (conflicts with IRQ shares with some hardware and having to set up IRQ's
one at a time and not letting windows configuir the IRQ's Some hardware just
cannot place nice together ( this might be where you are having a little
trouble sharing IRQ'S

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 16:23:01 -0800, loaderopp
> <loaderopp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >your system must be pretty unstable to begin with.

> My XP system was rock solid and never had a BSOD until Vista came
> along. What really gets me is I wasn't planning on upgrading yet, but
> just for the heck of it I downloaded the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it
> passed my system telling me installing Vista wouldn't present a
> problem, so I went ahead.

=?Utf-8?B?c2VuYWQ=?=

Re: Bad boy Vista! BAD!
I don't care what anybody says, "Vista" as of right now, is complete joke and
waste of everyones time. It's the same as "McDonalds" giving you an uncooked
burger and blaming the the guy at the register for not checking to make sure
it was cooked all the way through.

So far seems to be a few steps backwards from XP.