Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=
 

Posts: n/a
15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my D:
is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once installed,
is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you install
windows onto a D:?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Mark Thompson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
In article <DDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com>,
Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my D:
> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once installed,
> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you install
> windows onto a D:?


yes, Install OSX.

it's arguably a more advanced OS and only takes up 2.3GB upon a standard
install. Apple has better programmers, so it's able to write tighter,
faster, stronger code than Microsoft. MS programs by committee, Apple
programs by genius. So if you wonder why people are having trouble
installing Vista, now you know why. go out and buy a mac, you'll be glad
you did.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Zim Babwe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
Are you a total moron? He has a legitimate question and you have to go and
say something stupid. OSX isn't the answer to everything.

Go play with yourself.


"Mark Thompson" <mkt-@sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:45cbb4a4$0$10307$815e3792@news.qwest.net...
> In article <DDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com>,
> Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big.
>> my D:
>> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once
>> installed,
>> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you
>> install
>> windows onto a D:?

>
> yes, Install OSX.
>
> it's arguably a more advanced OS and only takes up 2.3GB upon a standard
> install. Apple has better programmers, so it's able to write tighter,
> faster, stronger code than Microsoft. MS programs by committee, Apple
> programs by genius. So if you wonder why people are having trouble
> installing Vista, now you know why. go out and buy a mac, you'll be glad
> you did.
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Dale M. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
My laptop hard drive partition was only 16GB total and it's now 11GB free,
so it doesn't really eat up 15GB. You can choose to install Vista anywhere
you like.


"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com...
> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my
> D:
> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once
> installed,
> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you
> install
> windows onto a D:?



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Dale M. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
Opps, I typed that wrong, The total install size is showing at 10GB with 2GB
being for pagefile and hibernation. I'm running Vlite now to remove the
hibernation option and will probably shrink the pagefile down to 512mb.


"Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:kuedne50Dbk6JFbYnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> My laptop hard drive partition was only 16GB total and it's now 11GB free,
> so it doesn't really eat up 15GB. You can choose to install Vista anywhere
> you like.
>
>
> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com...
>> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big.
>> my D:
>> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once
>> installed,
>> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you
>> install
>> windows onto a D:?

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:23:00 -0800, Greg
<Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my D:
>is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once installed,
>is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you install
>windows onto a D:?


You need a bigger drive. Even if you can shoehorn Vista into the
little free space you have doing a custom install (haven't tried) you
won't have much room left for the swap file or where Windows by
default puts all your installed software, under program files.

Lets see... just looking at my Vista install, the Windows folder fills
about 8.3 GB, that doing a install in place which kept all my old
software. You need that minimum extra room when the cab files get
expanded, etc.. Windows needs some wiggle room to install.

My program files folder is another 9.8 GB, so that's already way over
15 GB and that don't count the space the swap file takes up, another
1.5 GB, plus you'll need room for Windows security updates, restore
points, etc.. So not really practical.

You can pick up a 50 GB drive for well under $100 these days. Most of
the online web sites that sell computer stuff often have special on
hard drives they almost give away.

http://www.nextag.com/50gb-hard-drive/search-html



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
vlite( current beta 00.9 ) :

vista configuration tool, trim vista dvds to cd size, remove
components,drivers,demos..

removed all optional stuff : vista install is 4-5 GB on Disk,RAM usage down
to under 200 MB.

www.vlite.net

SJ /germany

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
newsDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com...
> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my
> D:
> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once
> installed,
> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you
> install
> windows onto a D:?


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:39:16 -0700, Mark Thompson
<mkt-@sourceforge.net> wrote:

>In article <DDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com>,
> Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my D:
>> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once installed,
>> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you install
>> windows onto a D:?

>
>yes, Install OSX.
>
>it's arguably a more advanced OS and only takes up 2.3GB upon a standard
>install. Apple has better programmers, so it's able to write tighter,
>faster, stronger code than Microsoft. MS programs by committee, Apple
>programs by genius. So if you wonder why people are having trouble
>installing Vista, now you know why. go out and buy a mac, you'll be glad
>you did.
>
>http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/



Apple needs a marketing genius like Bill Gates. Apple only has a 6%
share of the personal computer market. <giggle, snort>

Please explain to us "windows dummies" how it is that if Mac has such
a better OS, that 94 out of every 100 people buy something else.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
so when you were installing, did you take enough off your computer to only
have one gig left? that sounds almost impossible. Did you have less than
15gb free when you installed?

"Dale M. White" wrote:

> Opps, I typed that wrong, The total install size is showing at 10GB with 2GB
> being for pagefile and hibernation. I'm running Vlite now to remove the
> hibernation option and will probably shrink the pagefile down to 512mb.
>
>
> "Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> news:kuedne50Dbk6JFbYnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> > My laptop hard drive partition was only 16GB total and it's now 11GB free,
> > so it doesn't really eat up 15GB. You can choose to install Vista anywhere
> > you like.
> >
> >
> > "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > newsDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com...
> >> My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big.
> >> my D:
> >> is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once
> >> installed,
> >> is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you
> >> install
> >> windows onto a D:?

> >
> >

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 15GB required to install...is there anyway around that?
for someone that knows so much, aparently he doesnt realize that OSX will not
install on a PC...

also, i use a Mac OSX every day at work and I HATE it! I even own a Mac
mini. I can use it and deal with it at work but i'll never feel comfortable
with one. Atleast they finally got things looking more modern finally with
the relase of X. OS9 and below compare to that of a colecovision. Im
perfectly fine with my PC.

"Mark Thompson" wrote:

> In article <DDD3B498-4B37-4A6A-ABC3-06C083D94226@microsoft.com>,
> Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > My C: is only 13gb big, the windows (xp) folder is only like 3.5gb big. my D:
> > is 18gb big though. Assuming it isnt going to fill up 15GB once installed,
> > is it possible to somehow direct it to use my D: instead, or can you install
> > windows onto a D:?

>
> yes, Install OSX.
>
> it's arguably a more advanced OS and only takes up 2.3GB upon a standard
> install. Apple has better programmers, so it's able to write tighter,
> faster, stronger code than Microsoft. MS programs by committee, Apple
> programs by genius. So if you wonder why people are having trouble
> installing Vista, now you know why. go out and buy a mac, you'll be glad
> you did.
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15GB Minimum =?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 43 03-01-2007 03:54
Are update and install reboots still required? =?Utf-8?B?bm9maXhlZA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 02-28-2007 14:12
Vista won't install due to D347PRT SCSI Controller update required =?Utf-8?B?TmljcGlrZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 02-06-2007 03:50
Vista unable to install required driver =?Utf-8?B?RGVlag==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 01-31-2007 10:29
ACPI required for HT tino microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 01-30-2007 10:40




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120