Why I reject Vista for now....

Pete

Why I reject Vista for now....
"Moving to Vista means hunting for updated drivers for your printer, audio
card and so on, not to mention troubleshooting incompatible programs,"
Generally, updated drivers don't exist.

Dale M. White

Re: Why I reject Vista for now....

Personally, I agree with you. Really should be the attitude of 90% of most
people. Upgrading to an OS that less than 6 months old, is means you just
like to play around and that you're willing to deal with the heacaches and
frustration until all the different companies have time to release their
update products.

The battlecry should be...No Vista until June

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Moving to Vista means hunting for updated drivers for your printer, audio
> card and so on, not to mention troubleshooting incompatible programs,"
> Generally, updated drivers don't exist.

Zim Babwe

Re: Why I reject Vista for now....
So what would happen if nobody upgraded? Drivers wouldn't ever get
released.. Vista would fade off into the sunset

"Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message

> Personally, I agree with you. Really should be the attitude of 90% of most
> people. Upgrading to an OS that less than 6 months old, is means you just
> like to play around and that you're willing to deal with the heacaches and
> frustration until all the different companies have time to release their
> update products.
>
> The battlecry should be...No Vista until June
>
> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> "Moving to Vista means hunting for updated drivers for your printer,
>> audio card and so on, not to mention troubleshooting incompatible
>> programs,"
>> Generally, updated drivers don't exist.

Dale M. White

Re: Why I reject Vista for now....
And the bad part of that is ?

Come on, we all know that the number of people upgrading doesn't have a huge
impact on drivers getting released. A fair number of companies don't start
putting serious effort into drivers and applications until a product is
released. Heck my company still doesn't support IE7 on our time entry web
application.

Plus installing a launch releases of OS is more suited for the IT folks as
it is for anyone else. A regular user cutting over on day one, is alot like
saying "Yes, I'd like to be a Beta tester and I'll pay for that right"
Problem is, your basic user expects the product to work perfect straight out
the box, and regardless of whether it is Microsoft's fault or not, if any
piece doesn't work, all we hear is how Vista sucks.

"Zim Babwe" <zimbabwe@doyoureallythinkthisisreal.com> wrote in message
> So what would happen if nobody upgraded? Drivers wouldn't ever get
> released.. Vista would fade off into the sunset
>
> "Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
>>
>> Personally, I agree with you. Really should be the attitude of 90% of
>> most people. Upgrading to an OS that less than 6 months old, is means you
>> just like to play around and that you're willing to deal with the
>> heacaches and frustration until all the different companies have time to
>> release their update products.
>>
>> The battlecry should be...No Vista until June
>>
>> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> "Moving to Vista means hunting for updated drivers for your printer,
>>> audio card and so on, not to mention troubleshooting incompatible
>>> programs,"
>>> Generally, updated drivers don't exist.

kevin forsythe

Re: Why I reject Vista for now....
Microsoft solution to this problem in the past was quite simple... 24months
after a new OS is released, we no longer support the older version. ... have
a nice day... goodbye

This made alot of sense from MSFT standpoint.. as one group of developers
was already working on the SP1 while the other group was working on a new
future OS.. (This was the case with Win98 2nd edition support ended in 2002,
while XP was released in 2000) and if you didn't put a hard deadline (like
Y2K) in front of software vendors & enterprise customers.. then drivers
would never get written, and IT Budgets wouldn't get approved for updates..
and quite honestly, MS knew there were errors and screwup's in earlier
versions of windows, they just wanted to walk away from .. so the battlecry
was ... upgrade.

needless to say MS came under tremendious politcal pressure.. (how do you
update over 100,000 desktops when your internal testing cycle is 12 months
and it takes at least 6 months to get that approved and a few more months
for rollout?) so Win XP mainstream support offically ends on 4/2009 (26
months after Vista Release) but for large enterprises who complain & want to
pay extra fees and understand only critical hotfixes etc.. you have til 2014

hardware /software vendors understand the problem.. my Norton antivirus
doesn't work in Vista..(an upgrade avail as of 02/07) are you going to
offer me an upgrade soon or do I switch to Windows OneCare and never go back
to you? my Nvidia NVTV Tuner card has no Vista drivers do I switch to ATI
or do you offer me a solution (in this case Nvidia DualTV tuner)

almost everything I use runs under Vista with no problems, the only
exception is my Epson 1600 scanner (7 years old) but the most current epson
scanners have drivers (V100/V300) a good excuse to upgrade... but I am being
tough on vendors..I want a "Vista Certified /designed for Vista " driver or
application .otherwise I won't Buy your product.. .. not "I Guess it works
under Vista" logo this is why our company is holding off on software
/hardware upgrades until it's certified.

"Dale M. White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message

> Personally, I agree with you. Really should be the attitude of 90% of most
> people. Upgrading to an OS that less than 6 months old, is means you just
> like to play around and that you're willing to deal with the heacaches and
> frustration until all the different companies have time to release their
> update products.
>
> The battlecry should be...No Vista until June
>
> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> "Moving to Vista means hunting for updated drivers for your printer,
>> audio card and so on, not to mention troubleshooting incompatible
>> programs,"
>> Generally, updated drivers don't exist.

Adam Albright

Re: Why I reject Vista for now....
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:07:23 -0800, "kevin forsythe"
<kevinfor@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>Microsoft solution to this problem in the past was quite simple... 24months
>after a new OS is released, we no longer support the older version. ... have
>a nice day... goodbye
>
> This made alot of sense from MSFT standpoint.. as one group of developers
>was already working on the SP1 while the other group was working on a new
>future OS.. (This was the case with Win98 2nd edition support ended in 2002,
>while XP was released in 2000) and if you didn't put a hard deadline (like
>Y2K) in front of software vendors & enterprise customers.. then drivers
>would never get written, and IT Budgets wouldn't get approved for updates..
>and quite honestly, MS knew there were errors and screwup's in earlier
>versions of windows, they just wanted to walk away from .. so the battlecry
>was ... upgrade.
>
>needless to say MS came under tremendious politcal pressure.. (how do you
>update over 100,000 desktops when your internal testing cycle is 12 months
>and it takes at least 6 months to get that approved and a few more months
>for rollout?) so Win XP mainstream support offically ends on 4/2009 (26
>months after Vista Release) but for large enterprises who complain & want to
>pay extra fees and understand only critical hotfixes etc.. you have til 2014
>
>hardware /software vendors understand the problem.. my Norton antivirus
>doesn't work in Vista..(an upgrade avail as of 02/07) are you going to
>offer me an upgrade soon or do I switch to Windows OneCare and never go back
>to you? my Nvidia NVTV Tuner card has no Vista drivers do I switch to ATI
>or do you offer me a solution (in this case Nvidia DualTV tuner)
>
>almost everything I use runs under Vista with no problems, the only
>exception is my Epson 1600 scanner (7 years old) but the most current epson
>scanners have drivers (V100/V300) a good excuse to upgrade... but I am being
>tough on vendors..I want a "Vista Certified /designed for Vista " driver or
>application .otherwise I won't Buy your product.. .. not "I Guess it works
>under Vista" logo this is why our company is holding off on software
>/hardware upgrades until it's certified.

Guess what... Vista Certified doesn't mean crap. I just downloaded AVG
antivirus that claims to be Vista ready, it runs fine, then Vista pops
up a warning that it caused a problem and needs to shut it down. I can
understand it was maybe a bad boot, but I've rebooted 8 times already
since I first got this error and same problem every time. AVG DOES
run, it even went out to the web and updated its database and Vista
still throws a fit randomly

Pete

Re: Why I reject Vista for now....
> Guess what... Vista Certified doesn't mean crap. I just downloaded AVG
> antivirus that claims to be Vista ready, it runs fine, then Vista pops
> up a warning that it caused a problem and needs to shut it down. I can
> understand it was maybe a bad boot, but I've rebooted 8 times already
> since I first got this error and same problem every time. AVG DOES
> run, it even went out to the web and updated its database and Vista
> still throws a fit randomly

I've heard NOD32 v.2.7 works well with Vista.
But I don't know. I own NOD32, but not Vista.
-Pete