Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

latest strange Vista problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2007
A
 

Posts: n/a
latest strange Vista problem
I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the only
way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the icon box
again.

These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd
expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version.

--
Thanks,
John

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2007
MICHAEL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem

"A" <A@A.net> wrote in message news:OQv9PZ6SHHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the only
> way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the icon box
> again.
>
> These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd
> expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version.


You are probably hitting "Delete" instead of "Empty Recycle Bin".

I have done this a few times myself.


-Michael
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
A wrote:
> I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the
> only way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the
> icon box again.
>
> These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd
> expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version.
>


From reading numerous other posts in the Vista groups and from looking
at my own Vista install, I'm guessing that you are clicking "Delete" by
mistake instead of "Empty Recycle Bin". I don't know why MS decided to
have "Delete" as an option on the Recycle Bin's context menu, but it was
not a good decision. The only workaround is to be more careful when
emptying the Recycle Bin from the right-click context menu.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2007
A
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
maybe. i do have geezer moments. thanks.


"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:eszPIf6SHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>A wrote:
>> I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the only
>> way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the icon box
>> again.
>>
>> These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd
>> expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version.
>>

>
> From reading numerous other posts in the Vista groups and from looking at
> my own Vista install, I'm guessing that you are clicking "Delete" by
> mistake instead of "Empty Recycle Bin". I don't know why MS decided to
> have "Delete" as an option on the Recycle Bin's context menu, but it was
> not a good decision. The only workaround is to be more careful when
> emptying the Recycle Bin from the right-click context menu.
>
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2007
A
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
well. maybe a geezer moment for me. thanks. i'll watch more closely.


"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
news:uI5mkd6SHHA.5108@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "A" <A@A.net> wrote in message
> news:OQv9PZ6SHHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the only
>>way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the icon box
>>again.
>>
>> These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd
>> expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version.

>
> You are probably hitting "Delete" instead of "Empty Recycle Bin".
>
> I have done this a few times myself.
>
>
> -Michael


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007
Ramesh, MS-MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
Excellent point, Malke! MVP Colin Barnhost also brought up this issue last month.

Unfortunately, the "Attributes" & "CallForAttributes" shell folder values for the Recycle Bin is not the answer. It works in Windows XP though. After tweaking and tinkering with the registry for an hour or so, I discovered a solution (sort of a workaround) using which the "Delete" option can be replaced or overridden completely. I'll post the details, shortly.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com


"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:eszPIf6SHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
A wrote:
> I empty the Recycle Bin and the icon disappears from my desktop. the
> only way i can get it back is to choose Personalize and re-check the
> icon box again.
>
> These are the most bizarre and interesting problems I've ever seen. I'd
> expect the kinds of problems I'm having in a beta version.
>


From reading numerous other posts in the Vista groups and from looking
at my own Vista install, I'm guessing that you are clicking "Delete" by
mistake instead of "Empty Recycle Bin". I don't know why MS decided to
have "Delete" as an option on the Recycle Bin's context menu, but it was
not a good decision. The only workaround is to be more careful when
emptying the Recycle Bin from the right-click context menu.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Excellent point, Malke! MVP Colin Barnhost also brought up this issue last month.
>
> Unfortunately, the "Attributes" & "CallForAttributes" shell folder values for the Recycle Bin is not the answer. It works in Windows XP though. After tweaking and tinkering with the registry for an hour or so, I discovered a solution (sort of a workaround) using which the "Delete" option can be replaced or overridden completely. I'll post the details, shortly.
>


I'm looking forward to it. You are always awesome, Ramesh.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2007
Ramesh, MS-MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
Thank you, Malke. Here is the article, containing the REG file(s).

How to hide the "Delete" command from Recycle Bin context menu in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/142/1/

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com


"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:eaVdwhDUHHA.496@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Excellent point, Malke! MVP Colin Barnhost also brought up this issue last month.
>
> Unfortunately, the "Attributes" & "CallForAttributes" shell folder values for the Recycle Bin is not the answer. It works in Windows XP though. After tweaking and tinkering with the registry for an hour or so, I discovered a solution (sort of a workaround) using which the "Delete" option can be replaced or overridden completely. I'll post the details, shortly.
>


I'm looking forward to it. You are always awesome, Ramesh.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2007
=?Utf-8?B?c2VsbGV2aW5l?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: latest strange Vista problem
Using Vista Ultimate on a Dell 5100 and would like to comment on the
disappearing Recycle Bin icon problem.

A couple of times a day, the icon becomes invisible after I open Recycle and
click 'Empty the Recycle Bin.' The title text remains and so does a clickable
area the approx. size of the icon. The bin is still totally usable, I can
double-click on the area and open Recycle. The icon reappears thru unchecking
and then re-checking Recycle Bin in Personalization>Change desktoop icons.
This has nothing to do with 'Delete' or the size of files dumped.

It sure is irritating!
Thanx in advance for help with this!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange problem - Random floppy disk accesses Distorted Vision microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 05-21-2008 17:47
Latest Creative Beta driver & the latest version of Skype =?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 03-01-2007 15:51
Word 2007 and Vista Strange Printing Problem Len microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 13:05
Downloads folder - very strange problem Clive in Kent microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 09:21
Strange weather gadget problem Brian W microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 16 02-28-2007 22:16




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:56.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120