Vista and XP on separate partitions - how do I go back to just XP?

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRHZW9yZGllS2lk?=

Vista and XP on separate partitions - how do I go back to just XP?
I created a partition in XP, and installed Vista on it. It's now my default
OS, but I want to go back to just XP. How do I do it?

I was thinking if I go into XP, delete the partition with Vistaa on it and
merge the two back together, would that then just default into Win XP on the
next boot?

(If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a advanced novice - I understand some
things, but have a patchy knowledge on a lot of things...)

Best,
sgk
JW

Re: Vista and XP on separate partitions - how do I go back to just XP?
You can change the default OS on a dual boot system with VISTA by going to
ControlPanel.System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery while in VISTA and not
from XP.
"ScottGeordieKid" <ScottGeordieKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CA1324E3-EE7A-4D25-9813-2C2964F52C60@microsoft.com...
>I created a partition in XP, and installed Vista on it. It's now my
>default
> OS, but I want to go back to just XP. How do I do it?
>
> I was thinking if I go into XP, delete the partition with Vistaa on it and
> merge the two back together, would that then just default into Win XP on
> the
> next boot?
>
> (If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a advanced novice - I understand some
> things, but have a patchy knowledge on a lot of things...)
>
> Best,
> sgk

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRHZW9yZGllS2lk?=

RE: Vista and XP on separate partitions - how do I go back to just XP?
I found the answer if anyone else needs it... it's here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...7-aaf08f747382

"ScottGeordieKid" wrote:

> I created a partition in XP, and installed Vista on it. It's now my default
> OS, but I want to go back to just XP. How do I do it?
>
> I was thinking if I go into XP, delete the partition with Vistaa on it and
> merge the two back together, would that then just default into Win XP on the
> next boot?
>
> (If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a advanced novice - I understand some
> things, but have a patchy knowledge on a lot of things...)
>
> Best,
> sgk

Donald McDaniel

Re: Vista and XP on separate partitions - how do I go back to just XP?
"ScottGeordieKid" <ScottGeordieKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CA1324E3-EE7A-4D25-9813-2C2964F52C60@microsoft.com...
>I created a partition in XP, and installed Vista on it. It's now my
>default
> OS, but I want to go back to just XP. How do I do it?
>
> I was thinking if I go into XP, delete the partition with Vistaa on it and
> merge the two back together, would that then just default into Win XP on
> the
> next boot?
>
> (If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a advanced novice - I understand some
> things, but have a patchy knowledge on a lot of things...)
>
> Best,
> sgk

Sadly, it's not possible to downgrade a version of Windows without doing a
clean install.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.

Ron Miller

Donald McDaniel wrote:
> "ScottGeordieKid" <ScottGeordieKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CA1324E3-EE7A-4D25-9813-2C2964F52C60@microsoft.com...
>> I created a partition in XP, and installed Vista on it. It's now my
>> default
>> OS, but I want to go back to just XP. How do I do it?
>>
>> I was thinking if I go into XP, delete the partition with Vistaa on it
>> and
>> merge the two back together, would that then just default into Win XP
>> on the
>> next boot?
>>
>> (If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a advanced novice - I understand some
>> things, but have a patchy knowledge on a lot of things...)
>>
>> Best,
>> sgk

> Sadly, it's not possible to downgrade a version of Windows without doing
> a clean install.

He's not trying to "downgrade." He just wants to know how to get rid of
the separate Vista installation so that his computer boots directly into
the original XP operating system. The answer was supplied.
Donald McDaniel

"Ron Miller" <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote in message
> Donald McDaniel wrote:
>> "ScottGeordieKid" <ScottGeordieKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:CA1324E3-EE7A-4D25-9813-2C2964F52C60@microsoft.com...
>>> I created a partition in XP, and installed Vista on it. It's now my
>>> default
>>> OS, but I want to go back to just XP. How do I do it?
>>>
>>> I was thinking if I go into XP, delete the partition with Vistaa on it
>>> and
>>> merge the two back together, would that then just default into Win XP on
>>> the
>>> next boot?
>>>
>>> (If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a advanced novice - I understand some
>>> things, but have a patchy knowledge on a lot of things...)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> sgk

>> Sadly, it's not possible to downgrade a version of Windows without doing
>> a clean install.
>>

> He's not trying to "downgrade." He just wants to know how to get rid of
> the separate Vista installation so that his computer boots directly into
> the original XP operating system. The answer was supplied.

It looks like I posted this article to the wrong thread.
Sorry.