turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only

turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only
This is getting frustrating.

My integreated AC 97 Realtek sound built into the motherboard was "updated"
by Vista on install of the OS. But it's turned it into 2-speaker sound
instead of 5.1, even after uninstalling and reinstalling several times.

It MAY (doesn't always) show up as 5.1 speakers when I try to configure
them, but sound is only delivered through the right and left front speakers,
either in the test or in practice. Speaker connections are good.

Now here's what gets even weirder: I went out and bought a Sound Blaster
Audigy SE, downloaded the Vista drivers and software apps from Creative.com,
plugged in my speakers to the 5.1 ports on the card,
and Vista recognizes it ONLY as stereo speakers, and when I click on
Configure, nothing happens. I can't change it.

So what's going on and does anybody have any idea about how to fix this?

Sorry about crossposting, but didn't know what specific group could address
this.

Thanks.
John

Bravo Computers UK

Re: turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only
well thats odd cos i managed to get 5.1 from my realtek AC 97 card i just
installed my motherboard drivers then update that way and it worked cos wien
i installed vista my S/C didnt register
"A" <A@A.net> wrote in message
> This is getting frustrating.
>
> My integreated AC 97 Realtek sound built into the motherboard was
> "updated" by Vista on install of the OS. But it's turned it into 2-speaker
> sound instead of 5.1, even after uninstalling and reinstalling several
> times.
>
> It MAY (doesn't always) show up as 5.1 speakers when I try to configure
> them, but sound is only delivered through the right and left front
> speakers, either in the test or in practice. Speaker connections are good.
>
> Now here's what gets even weirder: I went out and bought a Sound Blaster
> Audigy SE, downloaded the Vista drivers and software apps from
> Creative.com, plugged in my speakers to the 5.1 ports on the card,
> and Vista recognizes it ONLY as stereo speakers, and when I click on
> Configure, nothing happens. I can't change it.
>
> So what's going on and does anybody have any idea about how to fix this?
>
> Sorry about crossposting, but didn't know what specific group could
> address this.
>
> Thanks.
> John

Re: turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only
Yep. It is.

Decrease my ignorance please. How did you install drivers for your
motherboard and where did you find them?

"Bravo Computers UK" <bravo.computers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> well thats odd cos i managed to get 5.1 from my realtek AC 97 card i just
> installed my motherboard drivers then update that way and it worked cos
> wien
> i installed vista my S/C didnt register
> "A" <A@A.net> wrote in message
>> This is getting frustrating.
>>
>> My integreated AC 97 Realtek sound built into the motherboard was
>> "updated" by Vista on install of the OS. But it's turned it into
>> 2-speaker sound instead of 5.1, even after uninstalling and reinstalling
>> several times.
>>
>> It MAY (doesn't always) show up as 5.1 speakers when I try to configure
>> them, but sound is only delivered through the right and left front
>> speakers, either in the test or in practice. Speaker connections are
>> good.
>>
>> Now here's what gets even weirder: I went out and bought a Sound Blaster
>> Audigy SE, downloaded the Vista drivers and software apps from
>> Creative.com, plugged in my speakers to the 5.1 ports on the card,
>> and Vista recognizes it ONLY as stereo speakers, and when I click on
>> Configure, nothing happens. I can't change it.
>>
>> So what's going on and does anybody have any idea about how to fix this?
>>
>> Sorry about crossposting, but didn't know what specific group could
>> address this.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> John

DandyDon

Re: turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only
The Realtek site has a new Vista driver.

"A" <A@A.net> wrote in message
> This is getting frustrating.
>
> My integreated AC 97 Realtek sound built into the motherboard was
> "updated" by Vista on install of the OS. But it's turned it into 2-speaker
> sound instead of 5.1, even after uninstalling and reinstalling several
> times.
>
> It MAY (doesn't always) show up as 5.1 speakers when I try to configure
> them, but sound is only delivered through the right and left front
> speakers, either in the test or in practice. Speaker connections are good.
>
> Now here's what gets even weirder: I went out and bought a Sound Blaster
> Audigy SE, downloaded the Vista drivers and software apps from
> Creative.com, plugged in my speakers to the 5.1 ports on the card,
> and Vista recognizes it ONLY as stereo speakers, and when I click on
> Configure, nothing happens. I can't change it.
>
> So what's going on and does anybody have any idea about how to fix this?
>
> Sorry about crossposting, but didn't know what specific group could
> address this.
>
> Thanks.
> John

Opinicus

Re: turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only
"DandyDon" <drayh01@yahoo.com> wrote

> The Realtek site has a new Vista driver.

Yes indeed it does. And according to the PDF it should install on XP as
well, which I'd like to do before upgrading to Vista. However the version(s,
I tried two) that I downloaded won't install on XP and both of them tried to
do it in Turkish (presumably because I'm in Turkey and the installer
arrogantly assumed that I needed a "Turkish" installation. I hate software
that makes decisions like that for me).

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Re: turns 5.1 sound into 2-speaker sound only
thanks. i'll download it and give it a go. appreciate your help.