VISTA > FIXING A BROKEN EXE ASSOCIATION

=?Utf-8?B?SkRTXzIwMDY=?=

VISTA > FIXING A BROKEN EXE ASSOCIATION
So i was opening up an exe from a download manager and it asked the standard
"open with" question - i was so busy clicking around and getting to
understand vista that i chose INTERNET EXPLORER by accident.

Now i cannot open up any EXE files as it just opens IE over and over again.
How do i restore the "application" default back to the EXE file, it is not
listed under the file types and associations tab in Control Panel.

This machine is now rendered useless until i can find a fix (can only find
registry fixes for XP online)

Thoughts.
Bravo Computers UK

Re: VISTA > FIXING A BROKEN EXE ASSOCIATION
JDS_2006 you could try right clicking it then going to open with... that may
work. Im in the process of creating your problem then will get back to you
"JDS_2006" <JDS_2006@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So i was opening up an exe from a download manager and it asked the
> standard
> "open with" question - i was so busy clicking around and getting to
> understand vista that i chose INTERNET EXPLORER by accident.
>
> Now i cannot open up any EXE files as it just opens IE over and over
> again.
> How do i restore the "application" default back to the EXE file, it is not
> listed under the file types and associations tab in Control Panel.
>
> This machine is now rendered useless until i can find a fix (can only find
> registry fixes for XP online)
>
> Thoughts.

=?Utf-8?B?SkRTXzIwMDY=?=

Re: VISTA > FIXING A BROKEN EXE ASSOCIATION
"Open with" does not show on a right click of an EXE file it shows on some of
the other extensions though (html / cfg / txt)

Does that make sense.

"Bravo Computers UK" wrote:

> JDS_2006 you could try right clicking it then going to open with... that may
> work. Im in the process of creating your problem then will get back to you
> "JDS_2006" <JDS_2006@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So i was opening up an exe from a download manager and it asked the
> > standard
> > "open with" question - i was so busy clicking around and getting to
> > understand vista that i chose INTERNET EXPLORER by accident.
> >
> > Now i cannot open up any EXE files as it just opens IE over and over
> > again.
> > How do i restore the "application" default back to the EXE file, it is not
> > listed under the file types and associations tab in Control Panel.
> >
> > This machine is now rendered useless until i can find a fix (can only find
> > registry fixes for XP online)
> >
> > Thoughts.

Michal Kawecki

Re: VISTA > FIXING A BROKEN EXE ASSOCIATION
"JDS_2006" <JDS_2006@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So i was opening up an exe from a download manager and it asked the
> standard
> "open with" question - i was so busy clicking around and getting to
> understand vista that i chose INTERNET EXPLORER by accident.
>
> Now i cannot open up any EXE files as it just opens IE over and over
> again.
> How do i restore the "application" default back to the EXE file, it is
> not
> listed under the file types and associations tab in Control Panel.
>
> This machine is now rendered useless until i can find a fix (can only
> find
> registry fixes for XP online)

Try System Restore running it from setup DVD.
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL