Vista OEM but no cd

=?Utf-8?B?TGVibGFz?=

Vista OEM but no cd
I just bought an Acer desktop computer running the OEM version of Vista Home
Premium, and thus far, though I like the razzle dazzle, I am extremely
dissapointed. I am concerned that since my computer did not come with a copy
of the OS CD/DVD (though they ever so thoughtfully included the buy-it-now
upgrade to ultimate dvd, which is borderline insulting at this point), that
should anything ever happen to my system I will have to buy a separate copy
of the OS, despite it being bundled in with the computer.

Has anyone else come across this? Is there anything I can do to make a copy
of my OS that I can use to reinstall (would making a boot disk work?)
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista OEM but no cd
Check your manual and/or contact Acer.
You probably have an option to make the appropriate media.
Or possibly you could get the media from Acer for minimum or no cost.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Leblas" <Leblas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an Acer desktop computer running the OEM version of Vista
> Premium, and thus far, though I like the razzle dazzle, I am extremely
> dissapointed. I am concerned that since my computer did not come with a
> copy
> of the OS CD/DVD (though they ever so thoughtfully included the buy-it-now
> upgrade to ultimate dvd, which is borderline insulting at this point),
> that
> should anything ever happen to my system I will have to buy a separate
> copy
> of the OS, despite it being bundled in with the computer.
>
> Has anyone else come across this? Is there anything I can do to make a
> copy
> of my OS that I can use to reinstall (would making a boot disk work?)

Jim Fisher

Re: Vista OEM but no cd

"Leblas" <Leblas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an Acer desktop computer running the OEM version of Vista
> Premium, and thus far, though I like the razzle dazzle, I am extremely
> dissapointed. I am concerned that since my computer did not come with a
> copy
> of the OS CD/DVD (though they ever so thoughtfully included the buy-it-now
> upgrade to ultimate dvd, which is borderline insulting at this point),
> that
> should anything ever happen to my system I will have to buy a separate
> copy
> of the OS, despite it being bundled in with the computer.
>
> Has anyone else come across this? Is there anything I can do to make a
> copy
> of my OS that I can use to reinstall (would making a boot disk work?)

All Acer systems come sith a utility to burn your own recovery DVD. Stop
ignoring the reminder that pops up to do so and quit your whining. Most
retail systems come this way now.

=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

RE: Vista OEM but no cd
Forget using their restore cd method. You should contact the OEM about
getting the real media. As a customer that is your right when you purchase a
machine. They usually do the restore cd method to cut down their costs for
media. The advantage to getting the media is that when you do your reinstall
it wont have all that bloated crap that the Oems put on the systems. You can
slip the install down by alot.

"Leblas" wrote:

> I just bought an Acer desktop computer running the OEM version of Vista Home
> Premium, and thus far, though I like the razzle dazzle, I am extremely
> dissapointed. I am concerned that since my computer did not come with a copy
> of the OS CD/DVD (though they ever so thoughtfully included the buy-it-now
> upgrade to ultimate dvd, which is borderline insulting at this point), that
> should anything ever happen to my system I will have to buy a separate copy
> of the OS, despite it being bundled in with the computer.
>
> Has anyone else come across this? Is there anything I can do to make a copy
> of my OS that I can use to reinstall (would making a boot disk work?)

Dave B.

Re: Vista OEM but no cd
No it is not their right. The OEM need only provide a way to restore the PC
back to factory, they are not required to provide an actual Vista CD, nor
any CD for that matter.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Emory Tech" <EmoryTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forget using their restore cd method. You should contact the OEM about
> getting the real media. As a customer that is your right when you purchase
> machine. They usually do the restore cd method to cut down their costs for
> media. The advantage to getting the media is that when you do your
> reinstall
> it wont have all that bloated crap that the Oems put on the systems. You
> can
> slip the install down by alot.

Simon Zerafa

Re: Vista OEM but no cd
Hi

Almost all Acer Laptop's I have seem have an application to backup the
recovery partition and create your own installation media.

The application appears almost immediatly you start-up your laptop for the
first time and is very persistant and insists you create backup media as
soon as possible.

Does nothing similar appear on the Windows Vista based laptops?

Kind Regards

Simon

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista OEM but no cd
"As a customer that is your right"
No it is not.
The fact you think so does not make it so.

The customer has a right to get the media as you describe or in various
other ways.
The way that right is exercised is purchasing from a vender that gives you
the media the way you want it.
Once you chose a vender, you have already chosen to receive the recovery
feature provided by the vender what ever that may be.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Emory Tech" <EmoryTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forget using their restore cd method. You should contact the OEM about
> getting the real media. As a customer that is your right when you purchase
> machine. They usually do the restore cd method to cut down their costs for
> media. The advantage to getting the media is that when you do your
> reinstall
> it wont have all that bloated crap that the Oems put on the systems. You
> can
> slip the install down by alot.

=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

RE: Vista OEM but no cd
So you are saying that it is not a customers right to want a clean install
without all the OEM bloat? I dont think this is discussed any where in the
EULA. I dont think that any Oem even lists that as a policy or even in fine
print on a contract. I think the whole thing with Oems doing this is because
alot of non-computer savy users dont know they can get the real cds or at
least a copy of the upon request. If what you are saying is true then why is
it that most OEMs will not sell a machine without an OS on it? I know the big
companies dont do it. It is very rare if you find a small oem that will do
this as well.

Dave B.

Re: Vista OEM but no cd
A right to want it and an actual right to receive it are 2 different things.
People can want what ever they like, it does not mean they are entitled to
it. Most OEM's will provide a recovery kit for a fee, these usually include
all of the original bloat, they do not need to provide a way to do a clean
(bloat free) install.

--
----
> So you are saying that it is not a customers right to want a clean install
> without all the OEM bloat? I dont think this is discussed any where in the
> EULA. I dont think that any Oem even lists that as a policy or even in
> fine
> print on a contract. I think the whole thing with Oems doing this is
> because
> alot of non-computer savy users dont know they can get the real cds or at
> least a copy of the upon request. If what you are saying is true then why
> is
> it that most OEMs will not sell a machine without an OS on it? I know the
> big
> companies dont do it. It is very rare if you find a small oem that will do
> this as well.

Rock

Re: Vista OEM but no cd
"Emory Tech" <EmoryTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> So you are saying that it is not a customers right to want a clean install
> without all the OEM bloat? I dont think this is discussed any where in the
> EULA. I dont think that any Oem even lists that as a policy or even in
> fine
> print on a contract. I think the whole thing with Oems doing this is
> because
> alot of non-computer savy users dont know they can get the real cds or at
> least a copy of the upon request. If what you are saying is true then why
> is
> it that most OEMs will not sell a machine without an OS on it? I know the
> big
> companies dont do it. It is very rare if you find a small oem that will do
> this as well.

If the vendor doesn't offer what you want then shop elsewhere. The computer
OEM has an obligation to provide some means to restore the system. That can
be one of three ways:

1. Installation CD/DVD
2. Recovery CD/DVD
3. Hidden partition on the hard drive with an image of the system as
received from the factory.

Each vendor decides which choice to offer, and whether to also offer for
sale either at the time of purchase or after, the installation or recovery
media. If they choose not to, then your only option is use a different
vendor. You can demand, but if they fulfilled their obligation with, say #3
above, then they don't have to provide the media.

Your right lies in deciding from whom to buy.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]