New license key?

=?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmggTHVvbmc=?=

New license key?
I recently bought Vista at Windows Marketplace and had it working fine until
I screwed it up by downloading something that was only compatible with
XP...so I basically had to clear my computer of everything. Now I want to get
Vista back; would I be able to use the same license key as before or would I
have to pay for another one?
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: New license key?
You can use the same key.
Retail-You can reinstall and move to different computers an unlimited number
of times as long as Vista is only installed on one computer at a time.

OEM-Generally OEM is permanently tied to the original computer regardless
the condition of the computer.
However you can reinstall an unlimited number of times on the original
computer.

Read your EULA for details.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Thanh Luong" <Thanh Luong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought Vista at Windows Marketplace and had it working fine
>until
> I screwed it up by downloading something that was only compatible with
> XP...so I basically had to clear my computer of everything. Now I want to
> get
> Vista back; would I be able to use the same license key as before or would
> have to pay for another one?

Lloyd

Re: New license key?
Windows Vista generates its product ID with a code that is tied up with the
motherboard of the computer. So if you decide to change the motherboard you
will not be able to use the same Product key. The same goes if you decide to
install Vista on another computer. In short The Product Key will only work
on the computer that you install and activate Vista on.
Hope that answers your question.

> You can use the same key.
> Retail-You can reinstall and move to different computers an unlimited
> number of times as long as Vista is only installed on one computer at a
> time.
>
> OEM-Generally OEM is permanently tied to the original computer regardless
> the condition of the computer.
> However you can reinstall an unlimited number of times on the original
> computer.
>
> Read your EULA for details.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Thanh Luong" <Thanh Luong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought Vista at Windows Marketplace and had it working fine
>>until
>> I screwed it up by downloading something that was only compatible with
>> XP...so I basically had to clear my computer of everything. Now I want to
>> get
>> Vista back; would I be able to use the same license key as before or
>> would I
>> have to pay for another one?

Paul-B

Re: New license key?
Lloyd wrote:

> Windows Vista generates its product ID with a code that is tied up
> with the motherboard of the computer. So if you decide to change the
> motherboard you will not be able to use the same Product key. The
> same goes if you decide to install Vista on another computer. In
> short The Product Key will only work on the computer that you install
> and activate Vista on. Hope that answers your question.

It answers it incorrectly. If you change your mobo you can reactivate
Vista, but you have to do it by 'phone so that you can explain what has
happened.

--
Paul-B
Paul Smith

Re: New license key?
"Lloyd" <write2lloyd@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista generates its product ID with a code that is tied up with
> the motherboard of the computer. So if you decide to change the
> motherboard you will not be able to use the same Product key.

Retail versions can be transferred to any number of computers as long as its
only on one at a time. The OEM version is tied to a specific computer, but
changing the motherboard doesn't make it a new computer.

It may want you to re-activate by phone (if the change happens "soon" after
it was previously activated) but there's no license issues there.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Barry Watzman

Re: New license key?
Re: "The OEM version is tied to a specific computer, but changing the
motherboard doesn't make it a new computer."

This is a really sticky point; from what I can tell, in some cases
changing the motherboard is ok, but in other cases it does make it a new
computer. [If changing the motherboard doesn't make it a new computer,
then what would make it a new computer? Changing the sheet metal of the
case? This is a question which MS has never answered, or been able to
answer, because there is no answer.]

The bottom line here is that if you have to reactivate an OEM copy for
this reason, it's going to have to be done in person by phone, and as a
practical matter, the determination of whether or not it's a new
computer or the same computer gets made by the individual that you are
speaking to. Consequently, exactly how you phrase your half of the
conversation can become very important. Changing just a word or two may
make the difference between getting a new product key and being denied a
new key.

Paul Smith wrote:
> "Lloyd" <write2lloyd@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Vista generates its product ID with a code that is tied up
>> with the motherboard of the computer. So if you decide to change the
>> motherboard you will not be able to use the same Product key.

> Retail versions can be transferred to any number of computers as long as
> its only on one at a time. The OEM version is tied to a specific
> computer, but changing the motherboard doesn't make it a new computer.
>
> It may want you to re-activate by phone (if the change happens "soon"
> after it was previously activated) but there's no license issues there.

Donald McDaniel

Re: New license key?
> Re: "The OEM version is tied to a specific computer, but changing the
> motherboard doesn't make it a new computer."
>
> This is a really sticky point; from what I can tell, in some cases
> changing the motherboard is ok, but in other cases it does make it a new
> computer. [If changing the motherboard doesn't make it a new computer,
> then what would make it a new computer? Changing the sheet metal of the
> case? This is a question which MS has never answered, or been able to
> answer, because there is no answer.]
>
> The bottom line here is that if you have to reactivate an OEM copy for
> this reason, it's going to have to be done in person by phone, and as a
> practical matter, the determination of whether or not it's a new computer
> or the same computer gets made by the individual that you are speaking to.
> Consequently, exactly how you phrase your half of the conversation can
> become very important. Changing just a word or two may make the
> difference between getting a new product key and being denied a new key.
>

> Paul Smith wrote:
>> "Lloyd" <write2lloyd@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Windows Vista generates its product ID with a code that is tied up with
>>> the motherboard of the computer. So if you decide to change the
>>> motherboard you will not be able to use the same Product key.

>> Retail versions can be transferred to any number of computers as long as
>> its only on one at a time. The OEM version is tied to a specific
>> computer, but changing the motherboard doesn't make it a new computer.
>>
>> It may want you to re-activate by phone (if the change happens "soon"
>> after it was previously activated) but there's no license issues there.

Actually, Microsoft now considers an "optional motherboard replacement" to
be a change of computers, not an upgrade, whether we do or not. This has
been true since XP SP2 was released.

If your motherboard is replaced because it went ****-up, and it's replaced
by the OEM (whoever that is. If you built it, YOU would be the one who
supplies the support, and thus, the OEM), they will probably be more willing
to work with you and Activate it if you call and speak calmly, frankly, and
honestly with the Activation technician. Trying to deceive them would NOT
be good.

I've always found that "honestly is the best policy" when speaking with
Microsoft employees about optional support issues.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.