Could not reinitialize the deployment engine

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?=

Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use the
Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...

I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled all
non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched everywhere
for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
format.

I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used that to
format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%, then
gave this error:

Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.

If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine "
error message.

I'm totally stumped.
Rock

Re: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
"Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
> clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use the
> Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
> selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...
>
> I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled all
> non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched
> everywhere
> for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
> format.
>
> I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
> the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used that
> format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
> almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%,
> then
> gave this error:
>
> Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
> all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.
>
> If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine "
> error message.
>
> I'm totally stumped.

Download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web site.
This will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot from it and run the
diagnostics on the drive. Also get a utility from them to write zeros to
the drive. If the drive diagnostics check out ok zero out the drive, then
try the install without it having been formatted to see if the Vista setup
will partition, format and install.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Richard Urban

Re: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
Vista needs the NTFS file system. Use what you must to delete the partitions
from the drive and allow the Vista setup program to create and format a new
partition.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
> clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use the
> Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
> selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...
>
> I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled all
> non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched
> everywhere
> for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
> format.
>
> I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
> the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used that
> format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
> almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%,
> then
> gave this error:
>
> Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
> all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.
>
> If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine "
> error message.
>
> I'm totally stumped.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?=

Re: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
Its a western-digital drive. I'll use their DOS utility to format the drive
tonight.

"Rock" wrote:

> "Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> Download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web site.
> This will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot from it and run the
> diagnostics on the drive. Also get a utility from them to write zeros to
> the drive. If the drive diagnostics check out ok zero out the drive, then
> try the install without it having been formatted to see if the Vista setup
> will partition, format and install.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Richard Urban

Re: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
You can not use a DOS utility to format a drive as NTFS. Use the Vista DVD.

If you have an upgrade version of Vista, you will have to use a 3rd party
program such as Acronis Disk Director. If you boot from the CD you create
after installing said program in Windows XP, you can format all of your
Vista partitions as NTFS before the operating system is even installed.

--

> Vista needs the NTFS file system. Use what you must to delete the
> partitions from the drive and allow the Vista setup program to create and
> format a new partition.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
>> clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use
>> the
>> Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
>> selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...
>>
>> I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled
>> all
>> non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched
>> everywhere
>> for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
>> format.
>>
>> I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
>> the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used
>> that to
>> format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
>> almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%,
>> then
>> gave this error:
>>
>> Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
>> all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.
>>
>> If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine
>> "
>> error message.
>>
>> I'm totally stumped.

Richard Urban

> Its a western-digital drive. I'll use their DOS utility to format the
> drive
> tonight.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> Download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web
>> site.
>> This will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot from it and run the
>> diagnostics on the drive. Also get a utility from them to write zeros to
>> the drive. If the drive diagnostics check out ok zero out the drive,
>> then
>> try the install without it having been formatted to see if the Vista
>> setup
>> will partition, format and install.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
HEllo Mike,
What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is the
controller driver file name) are in the system?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:21:01 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
|>clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use
the
|>Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
|>selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...
|>
|>I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled
all
|>non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched
everywhere
|>for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
|>format.
|>
|>I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
|>the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used
that to
|>format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
|>almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%,
then
|>gave this error:
|>
|>Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
|>all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.
|>
|>If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine
"
|>error message.
|>
|>I'm totally stumped.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?=

RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
Its a western digital WD800JB PATA (IDE) drive.

Since its IDE, I shouldn't need any controller drivers, right?

Its an ECS K7S5A motherboard if that makes any difference.

-Mike M

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> HEllo Mike,
> What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is the
> controller driver file name) are in the system?
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |>Subject: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
> |>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:21:01 -0800
> |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |>I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
> |>clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use
> the
> |>Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
> |>selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...
> |>
> |>I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled
> all
> |>non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched
> everywhere
> |>for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
> |>format.
> |>
> |>I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
> |>the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used
> that to
> |>format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
> |>almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%,
> then
> |>gave this error:
> |>
> |>Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
> |>all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.
> |>
> |>If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine
> "
> |>error message.
> |>
> |>I'm totally stumped.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
Hello Mike,
What is the exact error message displayed?
Is it this "Windows Setup could not reinitialize the Windows Deployment
Service engine."
There are a couple of messages that are similar and the issue would be
different depending on the exact string.
The controller would have a driver even it it's IDE.
You can use Device Manager to locate the driver name
Under IDE /ATAPI controllers
Driver tab
Driver Details button.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <MikeM@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
|>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:19:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Its a western digital WD800JB PATA (IDE) drive.
|>
|>Since its IDE, I shouldn't need any controller drivers, right?
|>
|>Its an ECS K7S5A motherboard if that makes any difference.
|>
|>-Mike M
|>
|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> HEllo Mike,
|>> What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is
the
|>> controller driver file name) are in the system?
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> the

|>> all
|>> everywhere
NTFS

|>> that to
|>> then

|>> "

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?=

RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
Dave:

No, that is not the exact message. it is:

Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install
Windows, restart the installation.

Notice that the word "service" is not in this message. I have the message
sitting right in front of me and have typed it verbatim, and checked it to
verify that I have typed it correctly.

Unfortunately I no longer have an operating system on the machine I'm
installing vista on, so I'm having trouble finding which controller driver is
used. I have the CD that came with the motherboard and I'm searching around
in it to try to determine which drivers are used. I'll get back with that
information ASAP.

Thanks for your attention so far, Dave.