Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Moving the Docs, Pictures and Music Folders to a specified partition

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2007
Rat_uk
 

Posts: n/a
Moving the Docs, Pictures and Music Folders to a specified partition
just installed vista home premium.

on my old xp machine i had 5 partitions, one for docs, one for pics, one for
OS, one for temp files and one for music

i seem to be making a mess of moving the docs, pics, music folders default
locations from c:\users\rat

when i move the docs folder, the music and pictures one goes with it. i get
an option to move all other folders at the same time. i'm not sure what the
best solution is.

this is what i want:

f: documents\steve's docs
f: documents\jo's docs

g: pictures\steve's pictures
g: pictures\jo's pictures

h: music

what is the best way to achieve this?

i don't want odd folders left behind on c: and therefore making it an untidy
and confusing job of navigating to the folders, effectively i want to the
docs, pics and music folders to disappear from the c: drive and appear and
default to the drives that i have listed above.

any tips would be welcomed.

steve.



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2007
=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdGlu?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Moving the Docs, Pictures and Music Folders to a specified partiti
If you are moving the folders by right clicking on them and selecting
properties, then are you aren't actually moving anything. You are only
redirecting the dynamic link for "pictures" under each profile to a given
location. So if I understand correctly, to get this,

f: documents\steve's docs
f: documents\jo's docs

log in as Steve, go to your user\steve directory and right click on
"documents" select properties and change location to the "f:
documents\steve's docs" folder. This will simply put anything that is in the
C\user\steve's\documents folder in the f partition folder. If there is
nothing in your C:\user\steve's\documents folder, than nothing will get
moved. Then, from that point on, every time you click on your document
(under steve's profile), it will automatically take you to that folder on the
F partition.

You can do the same for each profile/user and each of the documents,
pictures, music, and video files (probably others too). It is actually quite
convienent.

I hope I understood that correctly, and just didn't tell you what you
already knew.

I think the big difference is that on XP, the music and pictures directory
was inside the documents directory. In vista, they are all on the same
level, underneath your profile name. The actual "my docs" folders are just
links so legacy programs that need them can still run. If you just try to
move each folder one at a time, i think you will be okay and accomlish what
you want to do.

Think of the C drive references as shortcuts, you cannot delete them. You
can only point them to where you want them to go. So when navigating you can
get to the same point by either clicking on "documents" in any explorer
window, or actually browsing to that specific partition and digging through
the folders.


"Rat_uk" wrote:

> just installed vista home premium.
>
> on my old xp machine i had 5 partitions, one for docs, one for pics, one for
> OS, one for temp files and one for music
>
> i seem to be making a mess of moving the docs, pics, music folders default
> locations from c:\users\rat
>
> when i move the docs folder, the music and pictures one goes with it. i get
> an option to move all other folders at the same time. i'm not sure what the
> best solution is.
>
> this is what i want:
>
> f: documents\steve's docs
> f: documents\jo's docs
>
> g: pictures\steve's pictures
> g: pictures\jo's pictures
>
> h: music
>
> what is the best way to achieve this?
>
> i don't want odd folders left behind on c: and therefore making it an untidy
> and confusing job of navigating to the folders, effectively i want to the
> docs, pics and music folders to disappear from the c: drive and appear and
> default to the drives that i have listed above.
>
> any tips would be welcomed.
>
> steve.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
~Vaughn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Moving the Docs, Pictures and Music Folders to a specified partiti
Justin,

I have followed your instructions so I could redirect the Documents
shortcut in c:\user\vaughn\ to point to D:\Documents.

When I do this I get the following error message when I open a Word
document:

"Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error." I am
then left with a ~WRL0003.tmp file and my original file is gone.

I just did a reformat and clean install of Vista Home Premium because
this issue was driving me nuts. I then slowly installed and tested by
opening and attempting to modify and save the same Word file.

Here is what I installed:

Vista, Defender and driver updates from Windows update -- test after
OK
Office 2003 - test after OK
Cisco VPN Client - test after OK
Avast Pro AV - test after OK

THEN changed the location as I said above by right clicking on the
Documents folder on the start panel and "moving" the location.

BOOM - Test after FAILED.

Tried to reset to default by right clicking on Documents link on start
panel and selecting reset to default and that won't fix it. Now I
cannot open then save Word documents. I even tried System Restore
prior to the redirect and it will not work.

Any idea? I noticed there is a similar thread under OneCare
installation, but I am positive it is the redirection that caused the
problem. No OncCare installed on my system.

Thanks,

Vaughn


On Feb 7, 2:22 pm, Justin <Jus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> If you are moving the folders by right clicking on them and selecting
> properties, then are you aren't actually moving anything. You are only
> redirecting the dynamic link for "pictures" under each profile to a givenlocation. So if I understand correctly, to get this,
>
> f:documents\steve's docs
> f:documents\jo's docs
>
> log in as Steve, go to your user\steve directory and right click on
> "documents" select properties andchangelocationto the "f:documents\steve's docs"folder. This will simply put anything that is in the
> C\user\steve's\documentsfolderin the f partitionfolder. If there is
> nothing in your C:\user\steve's\documentsfolder, than nothing will get
> moved. Then, from that point on, every time you click on your document
> (under steve's profile), it will automatically take you to thatfolderon the
> F partition.
>
> You can do the same for each profile/user and each of thedocuments,
> pictures, music, and video files (probably others too). It is actually quite
> convienent.
>
> I hope I understood that correctly, and just didn't tell you what you
> already knew.
>
> I think the big difference is that on XP, the music and pictures directory
> was inside thedocumentsdirectory. Invista, they are all on the same
> level, underneath your profile name. The actual "my docs" folders are just
> links so legacy programs that need them can still run. If you just try to
> move eachfolderone at a time, i think you will be okay and accomlish what
> you want to do.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2007
~Vaughn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Moving the Docs, Pictures and Music Folders to a specified partiti
Justin,

Update: I seem to have fixed the problem by converting the D: drive
from Fat32 to NTFS.

Go figure.

Vaughn

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2007
Rat_uk
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Moving the Docs, Pictures and Music Folders to a specified partiti
ok vaughan,

can you tell me what you did because it seems to be confusing. i want all
docs to point to another partition and music/video to another.

when i right click and redirect the folder it leaves bits behind and becomes
an untidy mess.

how have you done it?


"~Vaughn" <vaughn.c@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171057745.818828.106180@m58g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
> Justin,
>
> Update: I seem to have fixed the problem by converting the D: drive
> from Fat32 to NTFS.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Vaughn
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failure redirecting Documents and Music Start Menu Folders Ty microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 05:43
Anyone tried moving folders to the same drive? Poh Tze Siang microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 13 02-28-2007 22:14
How to restore the special "Music" and "Pictures" icons. ceed microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-28-2007 21:10
Moving Outlook Express mail folders to another computer =?Utf-8?B?Uko=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 02-28-2007 14:10
When moving folders original folder is not deleted Extracampine microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-22-2007 15:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120