More Vista things that will drive you crazy!

Adam Albright

More Vista things that will drive you crazy!
What's that old saying, hope springs enternal?

I guess the boys of Redmond never heard of that one. You see I've been
a long time Windows user. I go way back to the early versions and as
foolish as it is considering Windows has now been around in one form
or another for about 20 years, you would think Microsoft finally got
its act together. Keep dreaming.

I do a lot of video work. I'm constantly opening, changing and moving
files around, typically using Windows build-in Explorer. This piece of
junk has been broke from the beginning and has loads of bugs. It still
does. It seems Vista rather then fixing the old ones, added new ones.

This will drive you crazy!

Consider this absurd "file handling" stupidity, courtesy of Vista,
Business version.

1. I open a video file in Sony's Vegas. No problem.

2. I do some editing. No problem. I open a second application, do
some more tweaking of this file, close the file in this
application.

3. I decide to rename the file and save it from Vegas. BIG problem!
Vista says I don't have permission. Now stop laughing! Vista
already let me open, edit this file. That involves read, write and
execute permissions don't it?

Of course it does! So if I had permission or not, Vista let me.

Now I want to simply change the name of the file and Vista says I
can't. So now I got to stop working and try to do the Vista dance;
right click on the file, check permissions under the security tab,
fiddle around and sooner or later get permission to change the name
of the file.

4. You would think I'm ok now. Well no, not even close. I now wish to
rename the folder this file was in. That's on another drive.
What's funny is Vista let me operate on this file on this other
hard drive and never gave a peep until I wanted to change the
name. Now trying to change the folder name again I get another
warning from Vista saying I don't have permission to change the
name.

I scroll up to look at the security setting for the entire drive
which is labeled E. Under the security tab there is one User named
Eveybody. I didn't put it there, Vista did. It has everything
checked, so I should as a user with full administrative rights be
able to do anything to any file on this drive or so you would
think. I won't let me rename the folder.

5. I look at the folder in question it too has only the everybody
user and grayed out permissions. Again I try to change the name. I
get a you need to confirm this operation warning. I click on the
continue button. The entire screen now goes gray. I get the same
stupid you need permission error and it asks want to try again? I
click yes, and now we're in a endless loop with no clue what's
wrong.

This brings us full circle and illustrates how clueless Windows still
is as regards to what file may be "open" or not.

What's causing this mess is the old bug a boo that gnerally at any
time only one application can have a file open. This on the surface of
course makes sense. The last thing you want generally is to have two
application messing with the same file at the same time.

I had used a second application to work on the file I also worked on
in Vegas. Now here's where things get messy. I did what I needed, then
CLOSED the file in the second application, but DID NOT close the
application itself which remainded open.

This always has been a problem to brain dead Windows. It thinks
appliation B is still using the file and that is the reason I can't
change the folder name. So somewhere there is a memory page file in
that Windows was too dumb to flush which caused this. This problem has
been around for at least 10 years and Microsoft still hasn't fixed it.
The solution was to close the other application now I can rename the
folder.

Of course this is hardly a workable solution. Video editing is
complex. You constantly shift back and forth between various
application to do things to the same file. This is obviously true for
other tasks as well. Now it seems everytime I want to use the second
application I have to first shut it down before doing anything at the
system level like change folder name. That is not the sign of a smart
operating system.

Seven

Re: More Vista things that will drive you crazy!
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> Of course this is hardly a workable solution. Video editing is
> complex. You constantly shift back and forth between various
> application to do things to the same file. This is obviously true for
> other tasks as well. Now it seems everytime I want to use the second
> application I have to first shut it down before doing anything at the
> system level like change folder name. That is not the sign of a smart
> operating system.

Get a Mac running OSX, permissions are handled more properly, and stay
out of your way. Plus video work on Macs is much more polished, easier
to deal with large files / multiple volumes. I appears you are kicking
yourself in the head by continuing to use Vista.
Adam Albright

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:04:49 -0700, Seven <toys@r.us> wrote:

>Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:
>
>> Of course this is hardly a workable solution. Video editing is
>> complex. You constantly shift back and forth between various
>> application to do things to the same file. This is obviously true for
>> other tasks as well. Now it seems everytime I want to use the second
>> application I have to first shut it down before doing anything at the
>> system level like change folder name. That is not the sign of a smart
>> operating system.

>Get a Mac running OSX, permissions are handled more properly, and stay
>out of your way. Plus video work on Macs is much more polished, easier
>to deal with large files / multiple volumes. I appears you are kicking
>yourself in the head by continuing to use Vista.

You appear to be another Mac freak.

BigJim

Re: More Vista things that will drive you crazy!
good beta tester

In article <142ks25ejbhv33tf3n6edklbals1sottoe@4ax.com>,
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> >> Of course this is hardly a workable solution. Video editing is
> >> complex. You constantly shift back and forth between various
> >> application to do things to the same file. This is obviously true for
> >> other tasks as well. Now it seems everytime I want to use the second
> >> application I have to first shut it down before doing anything at the
> >> system level like change folder name. That is not the sign of a smart
> >> operating system.

> >Get a Mac running OSX, permissions are handled more properly, and stay
> >out of your way. Plus video work on Macs is much more polished, easier
> >to deal with large files / multiple volumes. It appears you are kicking
> >yourself in the head by continuing to use Vista.

> You appear to be another Mac freak.

you're the one still trying to do things the old fashioned way. not us.
Adam Albright

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:33:02 -0700, Seven <toys@r.us> wrote:

>> >Get a Mac running OSX, permissions are handled more properly, and stay
>> >out of your way. Plus video work on Macs is much more polished, easier
>> >to deal with large files / multiple volumes. It appears you are kicking
>> >yourself in the head by continuing to use Vista.

>> You appear to be another Mac freak.

>you're the one still trying to do things the old fashioned way. not us.

You enjoy being a troll?

AJR

Re: More Vista things that will drive you crazy!
Lots of "comments" about Windows versus Mac. First - we usually prefer what
ever it is with what we started. Second - it's ridiculous to state that one
OS is better than another in all aspects of operation - Linux, Unix, OS2,
Windows and Mac all have one or two "superior" points over the others.

Want performance - get a Corvette. Want comfort - Cadillac. Want prestige -
Mercedes.
Which brand available provides the best combination?

My experience with the Mac goes back a-ways when I played with my Grandsons
Mac (student Graphic Arts). Apply Computer Inc (now known as Apple Inc.)
saved itself from extinction by offering free/inexpensive units to any
school system interested.
Initially Apple computers were not compatible regarding application (Windows
has always been so -but being weaned away via XP and now Vista).
PCs were and still are, available at any store or outlet willing to sell. -
Apple shut down sales from many such outlets -in fact check the
advertisements for CompUSA and there will be a little note that states
"Authorized Apple Reseller".

IBM at the introduction of the PC (personal Computer) permitted "clones"
(compatible PCs) - Apple with after and shut down clone maskers such as
Franklin

Apple prices did not include the keyboard or monitor - they were "extra"
cost items. My bad experience with the Grandson's Mac - moving any item to
the trash can deleted the item from the computer.

Finally (at last), things have probably changed - such as the monitor is
included oar trash can behavior changed. You take a bite out of your
Apple - and I'll play with my Vista PC.

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote:

> Lots of "comments" about Windows versus Mac. First - we usually prefer what
> ever it is with what we started. Second - it's ridiculous to state that one
> OS is better than another in all aspects of operation - Linux, Unix, OS2,
> Windows and Mac all have one or two "superior" points over the others.
>
> Want performance - get a Corvette. Want comfort - Cadillac. Want prestige -
> Mercedes.
> Which brand available provides the best combination?

Lexus is the automobile combination of all three, just like Macs is the
computer combination of fast speed, comfort and prestige.

> My experience with the Mac goes back a-ways when I played with my Grandsons
> Mac (student Graphic Arts). Apply Computer Inc (now known as Apple Inc.)
> saved itself from extinction by offering free/inexpensive units to any
> school system interested.

no, Apple never did that, you mean in California the had a program
called "kids can't wait" that offered "1" computer to each school in
california, but it never went national.

and no, Apple was never close to extinction, yes, there was a time where
Apple was in danger of becoming a much smaller company, but it's even
during the darkest time, Apple had $1 billion in cash and no long term
debt.

> Initially Apple computers were not compatible regarding application (Windows
> has always been so -but being weaned away via XP and now Vista).
> PCs were and still are, available at any store or outlet willing to sell. -
> Apple shut down sales from many such outlets -in fact check the
> advertisements for CompUSA and there will be a little note that states
> "Authorized Apple Reseller".

Kinda like Lexus is only sold by Authorized Resellers, hum... uncanny
how that works.

> IBM at the introduction of the PC (personal Computer) permitted "clones"
> (compatible PCs) - Apple with after and shut down clone maskers such as
> Franklin

no, IBM did not "permit" clones... Compaq reversed engineered IBM's
bios, the rest is history, but never at any point did IBM want them to
be around. They even went as far as to try and create a different
standard with "PS/2"... so your knowledge of history is a bit lacking.

> Apple prices did not include the keyboard or monitor - they were "extra"
> cost items.

As did most vendors at the time. IBM did it, Tandy did it, Commadore did
it, etc. It was just how you purchased machines at that time.

> My bad experience with the Grandson's Mac - moving any item to
> the trash can deleted the item from the computer.

no. that's totally incorrect. the Mac trash can never deleted an item,
unless you took a 2nd step and said "empty trash". The trash works
exactly the same today, as it did 23 years ago. And never once did it
"auto empty" your file. (at least not through Apple's software)

> Finally (at last), things have probably changed - such as the monitor is
> included oar trash can behavior changed. You take a bite out of your
> Apple - and I'll play with my Vista PC.

Yes, today PC's are typically sold with a Monitor, but Apple's high end
still lets you decide size, 20, 23, 30 inch (or whatever size you want
via 3rd parties) and again, the Trash works the same as it always has.
Just like it does in Windows (which MS copied directly from Apple)

So I'd drive a Lexus, you'll drive the old klunker you bought from Bob's
Auto Sales. Someday you'll move up to a Mac.

http://www.apple.com/hardware/
Adam Albright

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:00:50 -0700, Seven <toys@r.us> wrote:

>Yes, today PC's are typically sold with a Monitor, but Apple's high end
>still lets you decide size, 20, 23, 30 inch (or whatever size you want
>via 3rd parties) and again, the Trash works the same as it always has.
>Just like it does in Windows (which MS copied directly from Apple)
>
>So I'd drive a Lexus, you'll drive the old klunker you bought from Bob's
>Auto Sales. Someday you'll move up to a Mac.

You moronic Mac nuts crack me up. What you know about computers could
fit on one web page at 640x480 resolution, no scrolling, double
spaced, a 40 point font.

Seven

Re: More Vista things that will drive you crazy!
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> >Yes, today PC's are typically sold with a Monitor, but Apple's high end
> >still lets you decide size, 20, 23, 30 inch (or whatever size you want
> >via 3rd parties) and again, the Trash works the same as it always has.
> >Just like it does in Windows (which MS copied directly from Apple)
> >
> >So I'd drive a Lexus, you'll drive the old klunker you bought from Bob's
> >Auto Sales. Someday you'll move up to a Mac.

> You moronic Mac nuts crack me up. What you know about computers could
> fit on one web page at 640x480 resolution, no scrolling, double
> spaced, a 40 point font.

except that Mac users as a whole are much more computer savvy than
Windows users. They are more techy, use more complex software, more
educated and make more income per capita. It's kinda the "smart guys"
computer, whereas Windows is "generally" used by the blue collar set.

Oh well, each to his own.