Install Vista on internal Flash drive? Possible?

=?Utf-8?B?Z2x4eWpvbmVz?=

Install Vista on internal Flash drive? Possible?
I was wondering if anyone had any luck or even tried installing Vista on some
type of flash-type internal hard drive. I know XP was able to be installed
on a USB Flash thumb drive but I was hoping for transfer speed that would
match SATA or even IDE but flash based. Without the bottleneck of USB, a
flash drive would be much faster than a standard hard drive I would think. I
know the technology is out there, it is just a question of whether it is
available to the public and if Vista would even install on it.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Tim Judd

Re: Install Vista on internal Flash drive? Possible?
glxyjones wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any luck or even tried installing Vista on some
> type of flash-type internal hard drive. I know XP was able to be installed
> on a USB Flash thumb drive but I was hoping for transfer speed that would
> match SATA or even IDE but flash based. Without the bottleneck of USB, a
> flash drive would be much faster than a standard hard drive I would think. I
> know the technology is out there, it is just a question of whether it is
> available to the public and if Vista would even install on it.
>
> Any suggestions/thoughts?

The single Vista install I did (Beta 2) was 12.2GB in size, clean HDD
install. Is your flash drive anywhere near 12GB in size?

The data that is being copied wouldn't work well on a USB drive, heck,
the WinPE (or Bart's PE [http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/]) on a USB drive
just takes forever to load. I do think the PE based OS's boot faster
off of a CD than they do off of a USB drive.

I honestly wouldn't try to put it on a USB drive, you'll age quite a bit
before it's ready.
=?Utf-8?B?Z2x4eWpvbmVz?=

"Tim Judd" wrote:

> The single Vista install I did (Beta 2) was 12.2GB in size, clean HDD
> install. Is your flash drive anywhere near 12GB in size?
>
> The data that is being copied wouldn't work well on a USB drive, heck,
> the WinPE (or Bart's PE [http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/]) on a USB drive
> just takes forever to load. I do think the PE based OS's boot faster
> off of a CD than they do off of a USB drive.
>
> I honestly wouldn't try to put it on a USB drive, you'll age quite a bit
> before it's ready.

I didn't mean a USB flash drive, I admit that would be pretty futile with
the USB bottleneck. I was more interested if anyone knew of any internal
flash drive technology that's available for purchase. Something similiar to
an SATA or IDE hard drive replacement. I know there are 16GB NAND flash
drives out there, I just don't know what interface they use, and if they're
available for public purchase.