Multiple Re-Installation Questions

=?Utf-8?B?S3ZldGNo?=

Multiple Re-Installation Questions
Hello, I have a question regarding the installation terms I read about during
the beta. I do security testing in VM environments and end up rebuilding my
Windows VM's quite frequently. I read about how you can only reinstall Vista
3 times. I am uncertain how they generate the string that determines if this
is a new machine. If I alter the properties of my VM hardware will Vista
think I have a new machine or does it solely go on the CPU and motherboard
architecture to profile the machine? I do modify the host machine's hardware
occasionally so if I save the VM and rebuild the host machine will Vista lock
me out? I am running the Vista Business Edition.
Thanks,
Nick
=?Utf-8?B?S3ZldGNo?=

RE: Multiple Re-Installation Questions
I found a copy of the license and now I am more confused than before. I had
read that they removed the 3 time thing a while back but I don't see that it
specifically states anything about moving your copy to new hardware.
The paragraph about Virtualization is odd. You can't play DRM music or
videos? Very weird.
So my initial question still remains. I am able to wipe, rebuild and even
get new hardware as long as the old copy is uninstalled or erased?
Thanks,
Nick
=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNDaGlja2Vu?=

RE: Multiple Re-Installation Questions
I could be wrong on this, but I believe i read somewhere that MS ended up
deciding against the 3 install limitation, and you can now install unlimited
times

"Kvetch" wrote:

> Hello, I have a question regarding the installation terms I read about during
> the beta. I do security testing in VM environments and end up rebuilding my
> Windows VM's quite frequently. I read about how you can only reinstall Vista
> 3 times. I am uncertain how they generate the string that determines if this
> is a new machine. If I alter the properties of my VM hardware will Vista
> think I have a new machine or does it solely go on the CPU and motherboard
> architecture to profile the machine? I do modify the host machine's hardware
> occasionally so if I save the VM and rebuild the host machine will Vista lock
> me out? I am running the Vista Business Edition.
> Thanks,
> Nick

Rock

Re: Multiple Re-Installation Questions
"Kvetch" <Kvetch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I found a copy of the license and now I am more confused than before. I
>had
> read that they removed the 3 time thing a while back but I don't see that
> it
> specifically states anything about moving your copy to new hardware.
> The paragraph about Virtualization is odd. You can't play DRM music or
> videos? Very weird.
> So my initial question still remains. I am able to wipe, rebuild and even
> get new hardware as long as the old copy is uninstalled or erased?

Yes, there is no limitation on the number of installs or activations as long
as it is only installed on one device at a time. OEM versions have a
limitation that it can't be transferred to a different computer.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

fedway guy

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:25:04 -0800, "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Kvetch" <Kvetch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>>I found a copy of the license and now I am more confused than before. I
>>had
>> read that they removed the 3 time thing a while back but I don't see that
>> it
>> specifically states anything about moving your copy to new hardware.
>> The paragraph about Virtualization is odd. You can't play DRM music or
>> videos? Very weird.
>> So my initial question still remains. I am able to wipe, rebuild and even
>> get new hardware as long as the old copy is uninstalled or erased?

>Yes, there is no limitation on the number of installs or activations as long
>as it is only installed on one device at a time. OEM versions have a
>limitation that it can't be transferred to a different computer.

Which DOESN'T include hardware upgrades. I've upgraded my machines so
many times, I'm sure the people in India are confused as hell when I
call to re-activate. People with OEM versions are not required to
keep the same hardware in their machines. They just cannot install it
on more than one machine, THAT'S ALL. It's also transferable WITH the
PC it was bought for.

The bottom line is Microsoft just doesn't want people to run more than
one copy of the OS on more than one machine, which is reasonable and
prudent. If I changed out my CPU, Video Card, DVD drive, and maybe a
hard disk, I would surely be required to make the dreaded call to
re-activate after answering a few questions of which the last is
always if I'm running it on more than one machine.
fedway guy

Re: Multiple Re-Installation Questions
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:44:01 -0800, HellsChicken
<HellsChicken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I could be wrong on this, but I believe i read somewhere that MS ended up
>deciding against the 3 install limitation, and you can now install unlimited
>times
>
>"Kvetch" wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have a question regarding the installation terms I read about during
>> the beta. I do security testing in VM environments and end up rebuilding my
>> Windows VM's quite frequently. I read about how you can only reinstall Vista
>> 3 times. I am uncertain how they generate the string that determines if this
>> is a new machine. If I alter the properties of my VM hardware will Vista
>> think I have a new machine or does it solely go on the CPU and motherboard
>> architecture to profile the machine? I do modify the host machine's hardware
>> occasionally so if I save the VM and rebuild the host machine will Vista lock
>> me out? I am running the Vista Business Edition.
>> Thanks,
>> Nick

Yes indeed as long as you do not change your hardware to the extent
that it appears like you are installing on another computer. When you
activate, Microsoft collects some data about your hardware. CPU
serial number and type, DVD drive data, hard drive serial number, and
about seven other pieces of information about your computer. If some
of it changes upon reactivation, you will be required to call in.
=?Utf-8?B?S3ZldGNo?=

Re: Multiple Re-Installation Questions
Thanks guys. Not that it seems to matter but I will check to see if it is an
OEM or retail. To be honest I got it free from a company and I haven't even
cracked it open yet. I just wanted to figure out where I was going to
install it, in case I ended up installing it on the wrong machine.
Either way if it is OEM or retail I will just have to call MS to reactivate
it if I move to new hardware.