Dual Boot and activation

Russell Jourdain

Dual Boot and activation
I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
activate both, or can you activate one only?

Cheers
Russell Jourdain

Richard G. Harper

Re: Dual Boot and activation
One only.

"Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
>activate both, or can you activate one only?
>
> Cheers
> Russell Jourdain

Richard Urban

Re: Dual Boot and activation
If you used a different key for each one you can activate them both.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
>activate both, or can you activate one only?
>
> Cheers
> Russell Jourdain

Rock

Re: Dual Boot and activation
"Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote

>I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
> activate both, or can you activate one only?

One install/activation per product key.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]
Russell Jourdain

Re: Dual Boot and activation
Thanks Guys,

Appreciated the responses, just don't like the answers

Cheers
Russell Jourdain

"Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
>activate both, or can you activate one only?
>
> Cheers
> Russell Jourdain

Barry Watzman

Re: Dual Boot and activation
Is that the legal answer as to what is permitted, or the physical answer
as to what is possible?

Actually, I don't accept it as the legal answer. As someone else said,
"one license (product key) per machine". Well it IS the same machine.

And, further, precisely because it's the same machine, the exact same
hardware "hash" will be generated by the product activation code. So
product activation might well not detect that the same license (product
key) is being installed on two different machines ... because IT ISN'T,
in fact, being installed on two different machines.

It seems to me that installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista
on two different partitions of the same machine should be legal (one
license per machine ... and there is only one machine). And it also
seems to me that PA shouldn't have a problem with it either (e.g. it
should see the same machine as the same machine, and the product key for
both installations is the same).

And, regardless of what the license agreement says, I'd like to hear
from someone who actually tried it about what really happened, and not
from people who are merely speculating about either what is permitted
(by the EULA) or about what they think should or will happen.

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> One only.
>
> "Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
>> activate both, or can you activate one only?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Russell Jourdain

Richard Urban

Re: Dual Boot and activation
You will not be able to activate the second install of Vista as the key will
show up as already used in the Microsoft database.

So, even if it is not legal Microsoft has the ground well covered.

Some people brought a new retail copy of Windows XP and found that they
could not activate it. Why? Because someone who was using a key generator
for piracy happened to generate, and activate, the key previously. Just dumb
luck.

--

> Is that the legal answer as to what is permitted, or the physical answer
> as to what is possible?
>
> Actually, I don't accept it as the legal answer. As someone else said,
> "one license (product key) per machine". Well it IS the same machine.
>
> And, further, precisely because it's the same machine, the exact same
> hardware "hash" will be generated by the product activation code. So
> product activation might well not detect that the same license (product
> key) is being installed on two different machines ... because IT ISN'T, in
> fact, being installed on two different machines.
>
> It seems to me that installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista on
> two different partitions of the same machine should be legal (one license
> per machine ... and there is only one machine). And it also seems to me
> that PA shouldn't have a problem with it either (e.g. it should see the
> same machine as the same machine, and the product key for both
> installations is the same).
>
> And, regardless of what the license agreement says, I'd like to hear from
> someone who actually tried it about what really happened, and not from
> people who are merely speculating about either what is permitted (by the
> EULA) or about what they think should or will happen.
>

> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>> One only.
>>
>> "Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
>>> activate both, or can you activate one only?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Russell Jourdain

AJR

Re: Dual Boot and activation
Barry - Amen to (from your post: "..., regardless of what the license
agreement says, I'd like to hear from someone who actually tried it about
what really happened, and not
from people who are merely speculating about either what is permitted (by
the EULA) or about what they think should or will happen..."

Although there some good and valid information is posted - there is also a
lot of (well - you know what I mean) posted.

Also phone activation works !

> Is that the legal answer as to what is permitted, or the physical answer
> as to what is possible?
>
> Actually, I don't accept it as the legal answer. As someone else said,
> "one license (product key) per machine". Well it IS the same machine.
>
> And, further, precisely because it's the same machine, the exact same
> hardware "hash" will be generated by the product activation code. So
> product activation might well not detect that the same license (product
> key) is being installed on two different machines ... because IT ISN'T, in
> fact, being installed on two different machines.
>
> It seems to me that installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista on
> two different partitions of the same machine should be legal (one license
> per machine ... and there is only one machine). And it also seems to me
> that PA shouldn't have a problem with it either (e.g. it should see the
> same machine as the same machine, and the product key for both
> installations is the same).
>
> And, regardless of what the license agreement says, I'd like to hear from
> someone who actually tried it about what really happened, and not from
> people who are merely speculating about either what is permitted (by the
> EULA) or about what they think should or will happen.
>

> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>> One only.
>>
>> "Russell Jourdain" <jourdair@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have installed Vista 32 & 64 Ultimate on my machine. Are you able to
>>> activate both, or can you activate one only?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Russell Jourdain

Richard Urban

Re: Dual Boot and activation
Phone activation works if, in this case, you are willing to lie!

--

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Barry - Amen to (from your post: "..., regardless of what the license
> agreement says, I'd like to hear from someone who actually tried it about
> what really happened, and not
> from people who are merely speculating about either what is permitted (by
> the EULA) or about what they think should or will happen..."
>
> Although there some good and valid information is posted - there is also a
> lot of (well - you know what I mean) posted.
>
> Also phone activation works !
>
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Is that the legal answer as to what is permitted, or the physical answer
>> as to what is possible?
>>
>> Actually, I don't accept it as the legal answer. As someone else said,
>> "one license (product key) per machine". Well it IS the same machine.
>>
>> And, further, precisely because it's the same machine, the exact same
>> hardware "hash" will be generated by the product activation code. So
>> product activation might well not detect that the same license (product
>> key) is being installed on two different machines ... because IT ISN'T,
>> in fact, being installed on two different machines.
>>
>> It seems to me that installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista
>> on two different partitions of the same machine should be legal (one
>> license per machine ... and there is only one machine). And it also
>> seems to me that PA shouldn't have a problem with it either (e.g. it
>> should see the same machine as the same machine, and the product key for
>> both installations is the same).
>>
>> And, regardless of what the license agreement says, I'd like to hear from
>> someone who actually tried it about what really happened, and not from
>> people who are merely speculating about either what is permitted (by the
>> EULA) or about what they think should or will happen.
>>

>> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>>> One only.

BobS

Re: Dual Boot and activation
Then how do I activate my Vista x64 install (once all the drivers are
available) from the Vista x86 install that I did and already activated? I
have the Ultimate upgrade package - both DVD's.

Bob S.