Sudden Power Off only in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

Sudden Power Off only in Vista
So I tried Vista Beta a while back, and for some reason, it always seemed to
lose power 5-10 minutes into a session. I figured it was probably some glitch
that would be worked out in later versions, so I gave up and went back to xp
and my main OS (Ubuntu Linux).

I recently received a copy of Vista Business through my university and
figured that I would reinstall on my Windows HD and take a look. Well this
time, Vista did not even get through installation before my machine just
simply turned off. No shut down procedure, no warning, error message,
nothing. Just the glow of my motherboard's power light. I don't have this
problem with XP Pro, or Linux. My RAM, HD, and CPU are all in top shape,
memory wise and heat wise. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Machine details:
CPU: Intel 3 Ghz
RAM: 1024 Mb
Video: NVidea GeForce 6600
Other:
Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II
Firewire/USB PCI card
Sony DVD DL burner
DVD-Rom
Maxtor 80gb (Windows)
Wester Digital 300gb (Linux)
Steve Urbach

Re: Sudden Power Off only in Vista
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 23:46:01 -0800, Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>So I tried Vista Beta a while back, and for some reason, it always seemed to
>lose power 5-10 minutes into a session. I figured it was probably some glitch
>that would be worked out in later versions, so I gave up and went back to xp
>and my main OS (Ubuntu Linux).
>
>I recently received a copy of Vista Business through my university and
>figured that I would reinstall on my Windows HD and take a look. Well this
>time, Vista did not even get through installation before my machine just
>simply turned off. No shut down procedure, no warning, error message,
>nothing. Just the glow of my motherboard's power light. I don't have this
>problem with XP Pro, or Linux. My RAM, HD, and CPU are all in top shape,
>memory wise and heat wise. Any ideas what the problem could be?
>
>Machine details:
>CPU: Intel 3 Ghz
>RAM: 1024 Mb
>Video: NVidea GeForce 6600
>Other:
>Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II
>Firewire/USB PCI card
>Sony DVD DL burner
>DVD-Rom
>Maxtor 80gb (Windows)
>Wester Digital 300gb (Linux)

I suspect something is not quite in as top shape as you believe :/
I would suspect heat. A CPU heat sink that is loose or on backwards
(rides up on socket instead of flat). Vista beats the *rap out of the
CPU and Video processors. Either one could cause big problems.

Are you over clocked on CPU or video?
=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

Re: Sudden Power Off only in Vista
No, I am not over clocked at all.