Upgrade without data loss?

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBN?=

Upgrade without data loss?
I currently have windows XP and I was wondering if i have the full version of
windows Vista, when installed, will it reformat my laptop and erase all the
data? or does it just adapt and put the files back just on the new OS style?

I am just looking for the way where I do not lose any data.

If anyone suggests transfer through external hard rive then could someone
explain how I would transfer all my data of windows XP to my external and
then back. I have a Western Digital external hard drive 500gb.

Thank you to anyone who can help me!
Rock

Re: Upgrade without data loss?
"Eric M" <Eric M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I currently have windows XP and I was wondering if i have the full version
>of
> windows Vista, when installed, will it reformat my laptop and erase all
> the
> data? or does it just adapt and put the files back just on the new OS
> style?
>
> I am just looking for the way where I do not lose any data.
>
> If anyone suggests transfer through external hard rive then could someone
> explain how I would transfer all my data of windows XP to my external and
> then back. I have a Western Digital external hard drive 500gb.
>
> Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Firstly you should always have a full and complete backup of all data on the
computer. Then when something goes wrong (and data loss with computers is a
matter of when, not if), you won't loose anything. I suggest using a drive
imaging program such as Acronis True Image 10 (which also works in Vista) to
image the the XP installation to an external hard drive and use this as a
regular backup.

The full version of Vista will do either an in place upgrade (retaining
installed programs and data) or a custom install where nothing is migrated
to the Vista installation. However you have to be careful to look at what
version of XP you have and what version of Vista you want to go to. Not all
paths allow for an in place upgrade. See this link for info. The green
dots mean an in place upgrade is available. The yellow dots mean only a
custom install. Choose an upgrade path that allow for the in place upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor for info on what programs / hardware might not
be compatible.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

Then do some research on all your hardware to make sure there are Vista
drivers available, and on the software to make sure it will run in Vista.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]