Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!

Adam Albright

Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
This is classic Microsoft. I hope there is a easy fix.

Can anybody confirm this only happens on the business version or does
this curse all versions of Vista?

As many already know in a effort to improve security Vista now
incorporates new levels of security, similar to UNIX permissions,
which many of you already know about if you've ever uploaded files to
a web server etc..

Well now... I'm posting this article here because it may change some
people's minds, I'm about ready to yank Vista off my computer and tell
Gates to shove it where the sun don't shine.

As I've said several times in other threads I have a complex setup
with nearly 2 TB worth of files spread over many drives including
external ones which at any point in time may be either online or off.
I had assumed when you do a in place install that Windows would be
smart enough to not mess around. Oops, I forgot, we're talking about
Microsoft that does things that follow neither rhyme or reason and
never asks YOU the owner, if you want to do something, it instead just
does what it wants, and often behind your back without you knowing.

I got hundreds of thousands of files spread over thousands of folders.
I just started to get back to work. So I open up my video editor and
tell it to save a file. Moronic Vista throws up a warning message and
says no, your can't put it on Drive F, you don't have permission,
would you like to save it to... making a suggestion to put the file in
my "picture" folder. I say, no thanks, it says, sorry, then you can't
save the file.

What?

Check this out yourself:

If you right click on a drive letter, then properties, then the
security tab you'll see something new. Groups, and user names followed
by a laundry list of permissions each have. You need administrative
rights to change. So far ok, a pain in the butt, but it gets worse.

I randomly try to open some of the 50,000 odd thousand files I have on
my F drive and its a crap shoot if Vista lets me open them.

I go to the root of F, right click on the drive letter and just assign
myself (under my user name) full permission. LOL! You think that would
fix things. No it don't. Vista starts to scan the file list and seems
to be changing permissions. Then it haults. Again it says you don't
have permission for file blah, blah.

Well damn it Microsoft, I have full administrative rights, I had to
jump through hoops to get to this screen and then you tell me I can't
change anything on some files. Still worse, it just starts up again
and continues down the list stopping several more times refussing
access. Oh, that was fun. Now something is my stack of 50,000 plus
files, several at least Vista has decided that I even as administrator
don't have permission to access them. Way to go Microsoft!

Welcome to Microsoft's idea of "security". You the owner get blocked
from accessing your own files, not all of them, some. Grrrr!

I'm not done, not by a long shot...

I decide to test this so-called security. I point my newsreader to a
graphics newsgroup. I first look at my E drive. According to Vista I
don't have permission to write to this drive either if I look on the
security tab for this hard drive. Ok, fine. I'll leave it that way.

Now I select 50 image files from that graphic newsgroup. I download
them to drive E. To "save" a file, Vista needs to have write
permission. Writing permission is the most dangerous to give for
obvious reasons. Remeber I DID NOT give permission and before I
started Vista told me I don't have write permission for dive E. I
guess it, (Vista) always has permission to do any mischief it wants.

Remember it just said I don't have write permission so you would
assume it could not write to my E drive and surely I could not access
these files. After all, isn't that the point of adding security?

Anybody surprised that Vista did both? Not only did Vista write the 50
graphic files to the E drive that should have been "locked", (remember
it said I don't have permission and I used my user name to download
the files, yet it now lets me view them, copy or move them, remember I
don't have permission to access the drive according to Vista.

Worse yet...

I fire up Bounce Back which is my automated backup software.
Originally Vista said it didn't like its driver, well that was just
another lie, it works fine. And surprise, it can scan every drive I
have hundreds upon hundreds of GB's of files and then compiled a list
of files I have yet to backup.

OK, reading files is one thing. Will Vista allow Bounce Back to write
to drives it says are "locked" for security reasons? What do you
think?

Sure it can. And proceeds to do a normal backup of a couple thousand
files that span all my drives.

I'll defer to some MVP to "explain" this odd behavior. I'm listening,
but hurry up, I got to find the asprin bottle.

Mayor of R'lyeh

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> [...]
> the files, yet it now lets me view them, copy or move them, remember I
> don't have permission to access the drive according to Vista.
>
> Worse yet...
>
> I fire up Bounce Back which is my automated backup software.
> Originally Vista said it didn't like its driver, well that was just
> another lie, it works fine. And surprise, it can scan every drive I
> have hundreds upon hundreds of GB's of files and then compiled a list
> of files I have yet to backup.
>
> OK, reading files is one thing. Will Vista allow Bounce Back to write
> to drives it says are "locked" for security reasons? What do you
> think?
>
> Sure it can. And proceeds to do a normal backup of a couple thousand
> files that span all my drives.
>
> I'll defer to some MVP to "explain" this odd behavior. I'm listening,
> but hurry up, I got to find the asprin bottle.

you sound like a like a guy that would really enjoy OSX. It has
permissions just like any good Unix box, but they don't get in your way.
you can hang 30, 40 drives off one cpu and never have to worry about
what you are discovering with Vista. It's a archivist's dream machine.
you can get one here and kiss that old DOS based world goodbye.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/expansion.html

Vista is still using "letters" for drive names? you've got to be kidding!
Adam Albright

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:01:46 -0700, Mayor of R'lyeh
<mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> OK, reading files is one thing. Will Vista allow Bounce Back to write
>> to drives it says are "locked" for security reasons? What do you
>> think?
>>
>> Sure it can. And proceeds to do a normal backup of a couple thousand
>> files that span all my drives.
>>
>> I'll defer to some MVP to "explain" this odd behavior. I'm listening,
>> but hurry up, I got to find the asprin bottle.

>you sound like a like a guy that would really enjoy OSX. It has
>permissions just like any good Unix box, but they don't get in your way.
>you can hang 30, 40 drives off one cpu and never have to worry about
>what you are discovering with Vista. It's a archivist's dream machine.
>you can get one here and kiss that old DOS based world goodbye.
>
>http://www.apple.com/macpro/expansion.html
>
>Vista is still using "letters" for drive names? you've got to be kidding!

You Mac morons are starting to get on my nerves. If you don't have
anything constructive to offer take a hike loser.

Mayor of R'lyeh

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> >http://www.apple.com/macpro/expansion.html
> >
> >Vista is still using "letters" for drive names? you've got to be kidding!

> You Mac morons are starting to get on my nerves. If you don't have
> anything constructive to offer take a hike loser.

? very few Mac users are morons, most of them appear to be really trying
to help the Vista folks. I've read many of your posts, and honestly feel
you are a good candidate to move up to OSX. You'd really enjoy the
flexibility and more robust nature of a Unix based OS. Windows was okay
in high-school, but OSX is a more professional level OS than what
Microsoft is able to offer. There is better software on the Mac as well,
so give it a whirl.

http://www.apple.com/
Carmine Castiglia

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> the files, yet it now lets me view them, copy or move them, remember I
> don't have permission to access the drive according to Vista.
>
> Worse yet...
>
> I fire up Bounce Back which is my automated backup software.
> Originally Vista said it didn't like its driver, well that was just
> another lie, it works fine. And surprise, it can scan every drive I
> have hundreds upon hundreds of GB's of files and then compiled a list
> of files I have yet to backup.
>
> OK, reading files is one thing. Will Vista allow Bounce Back to write
> to drives it says are "locked" for security reasons? What do you
> think?
>
> Sure it can. And proceeds to do a normal backup of a couple thousand
> files that span all my drives.
>
> I'll defer to some MVP to "explain" this odd behavior. I'm listening,
> but hurry up, I got to find the asprin bottle.

Okay, I'll bite - the thing that I can't figure out is why a guy like you,
apparently running a business off your PC and having billions and billions
and billions of important files to worry about (apparently with no effective
backup, judging from your other posts), would even *consider* upgrading to a
newly released operating system.

Since Vista doesn't offer much more than a newer, prettier, face and some
security enhancements, why didn't you wait a while longer? Or just skip the
whole Vista "experience" until you were ready to upgrade your entire
computing environment?

Adam Albright

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 05:22:37 -0500, "Carmine Castiglia"
<ccastiglia@infosystemspro.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> another lie, it works fine. And surprise, it can scan every drive I
>> have hundreds upon hundreds of GB's of files and then compiled a list
>> of files I have yet to backup.
>>
>> OK, reading files is one thing. Will Vista allow Bounce Back to write
>> to drives it says are "locked" for security reasons? What do you
>> think?
>>
>> Sure it can. And proceeds to do a normal backup of a couple thousand
>> files that span all my drives.
>>
>> I'll defer to some MVP to "explain" this odd behavior. I'm listening,
>> but hurry up, I got to find the asprin bottle.
>>

>Okay, I'll bite - the thing that I can't figure out is why a guy like you,
>apparently running a business off your PC and having billions and billions
>and billions of important files to worry about (apparently with no effective
>backup, judging from your other posts), would even *consider* upgrading to a

I'm wondering why there are so many smart ass trolls like you that
waste their time making noise posting here. You clueless moron, if you
would have bothered to read my other posts I mentioned two things
repeatedly.

1. I have nearly 2 TB of files, half of which is BACKUP!
2. I do use backup software, Bounce Back.

>Since Vista doesn't offer much more than a newer, prettier, face and some
>security enhancements, why didn't you wait a while longer? Or just skip the
>whole Vista "experience" until you were ready to upgrade your entire
>computing environment?

Why do morons, and that's obviously what you are, always offer the
same simplistic and totally useless advice, namely cackle why did
people upgrade?

Further if you had a clue, which you obviously don't, you would have
also learned I build a so-called Vista ready brand new system from the
ground up, so that "suggestion" is equally useless. Thanks for playing
kid. No go back to your Mac sandbox which you probably came from.

Adam Albright

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:09:05 -0700, Mayor of R'lyeh
<mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

>Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:
>
>> >http://www.apple.com/macpro/expansion.html
>> >
>> >Vista is still using "letters" for drive names? you've got to be kidding!

>> You Mac morons are starting to get on my nerves. If you don't have
>> anything constructive to offer take a hike loser.

>? very few Mac users are morons, most of them appear to be really trying
>to help the Vista folks.

While you may think so, you're not helping anybody by yelling buy a
Mac over and over when that person has invested tens of thousands of
dollars in Windows software and used it for decades. Geez guy, that's
such a simple concept even you should be able to get it.

For the record, I've tried just about every OS there is, so I'm well
aware what's out there. ALL have their issues and odd quirks. I once
tried a version of Linix that had a handful of CD's you had to switch
back and forth during install. As bad as Windows can be during
install, consider this. I had about 30 minutes invested into
installing this version of Linix, then I popped in the next CD as
instructed, and suddenly the instructions changed from English to
German. That can ruin your day. LOL!

Michelle Steiner

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

> >? very few Mac users are morons, most of them appear to be really trying
> >to help the Vista folks.

> While you may think so, you're not helping anybody by yelling buy a
> Mac over and over when that person has invested tens of thousands of
> dollars in Windows software and used it for decades. Geez guy, that's
> such a simple concept even you should be able to get it.
>
> For the record, I've tried just about every OS there is, so I'm well
> aware what's out there. ALL have their issues and odd quirks. I once
> tried a version of Linix that had a handful of CD's you had to switch
> back and forth during install. As bad as Windows can be during
> install, consider this. I had about 30 minutes invested into
> installing this version of Linix, then I popped in the next CD as
> instructed, and suddenly the instructions changed from English to
> German. That can ruin your day. LOL!

but you have never used OSX, that's your failing.

you are stuck in a bad world, but don't know it.

OSX, would set you free.
Adam Albright

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 08:50:21 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:
>
>> >? very few Mac users are morons, most of them appear to be really trying
>> >to help the Vista folks.

>> While you may think so, you're not helping anybody by yelling buy a
>> Mac over and over when that person has invested tens of thousands of
>> dollars in Windows software and used it for decades. Geez guy, that's
>> such a simple concept even you should be able to get it.
>>
>> For the record, I've tried just about every OS there is, so I'm well
>> aware what's out there. ALL have their issues and odd quirks. I once
>> tried a version of Linix that had a handful of CD's you had to switch
>> back and forth during install. As bad as Windows can be during
>> install, consider this. I had about 30 minutes invested into
>> installing this version of Linix, then I popped in the next CD as
>> instructed, and suddenly the instructions changed from English to
>> German. That can ruin your day. LOL!

>but you have never used OSX, that's your failing.

If I even need a toy computer to play games I may.

ralibey@community.nospam

Re: Vista Business possible HUGE "Security" problem. You got to read this!
I have an OSX machine, its only a 667 G4, but still an OSX 10.2 machine
.... its not all its cracked up to be. Macs still don't play well with
others, unless you get into the shell and start playing around there. Vista
is a very big step in the right direction for MS, it has its bugs, but in a
year or so, it will be as solid as XP has been recently. Before you start
flaming, my work machine was XP that had run perfectly well for about 3
years, the only reason my XP was put to rest is that Vista RTM came out on
MSDN. I have had my share of quirks and issues with Vista, but I do feel
that it has gotten much better at handling security.

As to your backup software being able to access anything, check and see
what account it is running under, it may run as a service as the SYSTEM
user, which would have rights to everything, even more so than the
Owner/Administrator of the machine. You have to allow the installer to run
with escalated privileges, which would have allowed it to do this.

And to all the people that tout "FREE" software, maybe you can get lucky
sometimes, most of the time its not as "FREE" as you would like to believe.
Most *nix software has to be built from source code to install it, unless
you purchase it. I don't know about you, but 3 days building KDE didn't seem
like alot of fun on BSD, of course once I had a GUI, I found out that I
could have called a shell command to install it for me, but that didn't do
me alot of good after the fact. I don't want to spend my life documenting
the changes I need to make to my OS to get it to work, I want to turn it on
and go to work.

*Stepping down from my soap box*

Thank you to all the ppl at MS that try to bring the nasty beast called
software development under control enough to get us, if not bug free
products, products that we can use until you can fix the bugs ... :0)

-Russell
-MCSD since 1999

news61ks2pfq7180lklv9i9bdbcpnb3uujpan@4ax.com...