Upgrade vs. clean install

Warren Amole

Upgrade vs. clean install
On Sunday I attempted to upgrade my existing system from XP Pro - MCE to
Home Premium. It runs on an HP m7170n MC PC purchased early last year
directly from HP and has the original XP installation that came loaded. It
was up to date and
current with all MS updates. I purchaed a retail copy of the HP Premium
upgrade from Amazon which was properly sealed. I had the HP restore disc in
hand
and the product key for my current installation as well.

Whenever I upgrade to a new OS, I start with a clean disc so that problems
from the old system don't follow ot the new. I was having some significant
problems with the MC portion (i.e., fast forward and reverse stopped
working) so I was anxious to eliminate those kind of issues.

However, when given the chance to first input my product key, it was NOT
accepted, with only an error about the upgrade version wasn't allowed to be
used on a clean install. I searched forums, web, etc for solutions and
found several - the most consistent was to not enter the product key the
first time but only again after installation was complete.

At that point, however, the product key was rejected again! The time,
however, it idnicated it was installed on another system.

In addiiton, I was having real issues with MC itself - tv and dvd playback
was really jerky and stutteing.

In neither case, was I given a phone number or requested to eneter the
previous product key or any other alternative method to proceded.

The conventional wisdom for eleminating the MC problem was a reinstall.
So I tried the installation again.

The Vista product key was again rejected - not entitled to use an upgrade
version on a clean install.

I bought a better video adapter to remove some minor issues with MC but now
things are great - for 28 more days.

One of the forum recommendations was to submit it to MS tech support like a
normal problem so I attempted that. However, after inputting the product
id,
I got a notification that the maxiumum number of free submissions had been
met and to submit
a credit card to cover the $59 cost of the call. Since the cost of moving to
full HP Premium is $80, it didn't seem fair.

So, here I sit. I had a legal copy of XP that came on the hardware from
HP. I bought a legal copy of the upgrade
from a reputable source and yet, I seem to be out of luck. Do I really
have to reinstall XP and then procede again
selecting UPGRADE rather than CLEAN?

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

And also an answer to this question: Can you no longer create a clean
installation with an upgrade copy of Vista???

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade vs. clean install
Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/en-us

How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Warren Amole" wrote:

[...]

Zim Babwe

No - This is how to do it
This is the best way to install Vista - Pay no attention to the Microsoft
link. You will just get frustrated

http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html

> [...]
> things are great - for 28 more days.
>
> One of the forum recommendations was to submit it to MS tech support like
> normal problem so I attempted that. However, after inputting the product
> id,
> I got a notification that the maxiumum number of free submissions had been
> met and to submit
> a credit card to cover the $59 cost of the call. Since the cost of moving
> full HP Premium is $80, it didn't seem fair.
>
> So, here I sit. I had a legal copy of XP that came on the hardware from
> HP. I bought a legal copy of the upgrade
> from a reputable source and yet, I seem to be out of luck. Do I really
> have to reinstall XP and then procede again
> selecting UPGRADE rather than CLEAN?
>
> I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.
>
> And also an answer to this question: Can you no longer create a clean
> installation with an upgrade copy of Vista???

Roscoe

Re: Upgrade vs. clean install
Just install Vista twice. The first time, simply don't input the activation
when asked. Install again and then use your key.
It's that easy!