Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate

John

Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software supplier
tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I would have to
buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that. From the MS web
site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.

Are they correct?

Thanks,

John

Carmine Castiglia

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate

"John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software supplier
>tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I would have to
>buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that. From the MS
>web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.
>
> Are they correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Not true. I did exactly what you want to do - an in-place upgrade from XP
Pro to Vista Ultimate using the retail "Upgrade" package. I have to admit,
the side of the package states "UPGRADE For users running Microsoft Windows
2000 Professional, Windows XP, or Windows Vista only. Backup and clean
install may be required. See back of box for details."

The back of the box includes, "... You must perform a clean install of
Windows Vista and then reinstall your existing files, settings, and
programs, unless you are upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home, Media Center,
or Tablet PC Edition; Professional (32 bit); or any edition of Windows
Vista."

Rock

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
"John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote

>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software supplier
>tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I would have to
>buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that. From the MS
>web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.
>
> Are they correct?

No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to run
to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and any
system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if they
are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals. Install with
just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add peripherals one at a
time after the initial install.

Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something doesn't
work so you can quickly get back running.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

John

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Thank you for both replies.

John

"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software
>>supplier tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I
>>would have to buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that.
>>From the MS web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.
>>
>> Are they correct?

> No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
> Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
> link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
> compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to
> run to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
> firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and
> any system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if
> they are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals. Install
> with just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add peripherals one
> at a time after the initial install.
>
> Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something
> doesn't work so you can quickly get back running.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
You're welcome.

"John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote

> Thank you for both replies.

> "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote
>>
>>>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software
>>>supplier tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I
>>>would have to buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend
>>>that. From the MS web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade
>>>path.
>>>
>>> Are they correct?

>> No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
>> Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
>> link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>>
>> Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
>> compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to
>> run to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
>> firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and
>> any system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if
>> they are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals.
>> Install with just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add
>> peripherals one at a time after the initial install.
>>
>> Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something
>> doesn't work so you can quickly get back running.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rob Mensching

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Two tools that can help answer upgrade questions quickly are:

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor -
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...26&clcid=0x409 - does a pretty
thorough scan of your machine to help find any upgrade issues up front.

Windows Marketplace upgrade options tool -
http://images.windowsmarketplace.com...ptionsTool.msi -
tells you whether you can do an in place install of Vista or require a clean
install.

> Thank you for both replies.
>
> John
>
> "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote
>>
>>>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software
>>>supplier tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I
>>>would have to buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend
>>>that. From the MS web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade
>>>path.
>>>
>>> Are they correct?

>> No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
>> Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
>> link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>>
>> Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
>> compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to
>> run to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
>> firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and
>> any system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if
>> they are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals.
>> Install with just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add
>> peripherals one at a time after the initial install.
>>
>> Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something
>> doesn't work so you can quickly get back running.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Boyd Morris

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Rock - Calm, reasoned approach----finally Thanks. Any suggestions for drive imaging software?

Boyd

"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:u06k16kSHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software supplier
>>tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I would have to
>>buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that. From the MS
>>web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.
>>
>> Are they correct?

> No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
> Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
> link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
> compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to run
> to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
> firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and any
> system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if they
> are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals. Install with
> just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add peripherals one at a
> time after the initial install.
>
> Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something doesn't
> work so you can quickly get back running.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

David

"Boyd Morris" <RBMorris@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
Rock - Calm, reasoned approach----finally Thanks. Any suggestions for drive
imaging software?

Boyd

Try Acronis true Image 10
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

David

"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software
>>supplier
>>tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I would have to
>>buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that. From the MS
>>web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.
>>
>> Are they correct?

> No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
> Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
> link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
> compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to
> run
> to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
> firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and
> any
> system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if they
> are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals. Install with
> just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add peripherals one at a
> time after the initial install.
>
> Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something
> doesn't
> work so you can quickly get back running.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Upgrade WinXP Pro to Vista Ultimate
"Boyd Morris" <RBMorris@ec.rr.com> wrote

Rock - Calm, reasoned approach----finally Thanks. Any suggestions for drive
imaging software?

"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote

> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>>I want to upgrade my Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. My software
>>supplier
>>tells me there is no Upgrade version available to do this. I would have to
>>buy the full version of Vista and he doesn't recommend that. From the MS
>>web site I thought XP Pro to Ultimate was an upgrade path.
>>
>> Are they correct?

> No they're not. You can use the Vista Ultimate upgrade to go from Pro to
> Ultimate. Not sure why your supplier said you can't. See the following
> link. The green dots mean you an do an in place upgrade.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> Do your homework before doing the upgrade. Make sure there are Vista
> compatible drivers for all the hardware. Check all the apps you want to
> run
> to make sure they are Vista compatible. Uninstall any AV programs,
> firewalls, CD burning software like Nero or Roxio that use drivers, and
> any
> system level utilities such as drive imaging, partition magic, etc if they
> are not Vista compatible. Remove all extraneous peripherals. Install with
> just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive. Add peripherals one at a
> time after the initial install.
>
> Image the XP installation before doing the upgrade in case something
> doesn't
> work so you can quickly get back running.

I have just started with Acronis True Image Home, version 10. ATI 10 is
compatible with XP and Vista, so it's useful after the upgrade, it does full
image backups with subsequent incremental or differential backups, and it
can do traditional file backups. Restores can be done on a partition, drive
or file basis. I create the images on two external USB connected hard
drives. So far it is working well in this installation. I got it recently
at Newegg.com. The price fluctuated significantly over a 2 week period from
a low of $26.99 USD to a high of $39.99. Acronis sells it for something
like $49.99.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Boyd