Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business

=?Utf-8?B?bWFwZXh2ZW51cw==?=

Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business
Can I upgrade Windows XP Media Center Edition to Vista Business?
=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNDaGlja2Vu?=

RE: Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business
Only as a clean install, not an in place upgrade. I tried this.

"mapexvenus" wrote:

> Can I upgrade Windows XP Media Center Edition to Vista Business?

Rock

Re: Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business
"mapexvenus" <mapexvenus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Can I upgrade Windows XP Media Center Edition to Vista Business?

No, not as an in place upgrade. See this link. The green dots allow in
place upgrades, the yellow mean a custom install where apps will have to be
reinstalled from original media. Use Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the XP
installation to save a copy of data and settings. After the install of
Vista, install apps, then bring in the data with WET.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

You can upgrade MCE to VHP or to Ultimate.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?c3d1dGg=?=

Re: Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business

I have an HP media center machine with an ATI X1800XT graphics card. When
Vista Ultimate gets to the "Expanding Files" section it gets about 30% done
and then a dialog comes up saying installation cancelled machine could not
boot (or something to that effect). The compatibility test says I should be
able to install fine but no joy so far. (and yes I have updated the BIOS etc)

CH

"Rock" wrote:

> "mapexvenus" <mapexvenus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Can I upgrade Windows XP Media Center Edition to Vista Business?

> No, not as an in place upgrade. See this link. The green dots allow in
> place upgrades, the yellow mean a custom install where apps will have to be
> reinstalled from original media. Use Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the XP
> installation to save a copy of data and settings. After the install of
> Vista, install apps, then bring in the data with WET.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> You can upgrade MCE to VHP or to Ultimate.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Kenneth Cummings

Re: Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business
Hello,

I had an HP Media Center m1270n computer from 2 years ago, with Windows
XP Media Center 2005 software..

I purchased Windows Vista and it is working FLAWLESSLY on my HP Media
Center Computer..

Why go to Vista business when you have the same functions in the
Ultimate and
even have software that is NOT included in the business version.

Vista Ultimate is fantastic and it upgrades the Media Center with
abilities that are
NOT in the MCE 2005..

Also, with the Ultimate you can acquire 2 additional Vista Professional
Licenses
for only $ 49.99 each (retail around $ 150.00 each) when you purchase the
Ultimate
Edition..

Ken

P.S. I also had an ATI graphics card and removed it and upgraded to NVidia
GeForce 7900 GS and the Ultimate graphics are fantastic.

"swuth" <swuth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have an HP media center machine with an ATI X1800XT graphics card. When
> Vista Ultimate gets to the "Expanding Files" section it gets about 30%
> done
> and then a dialog comes up saying installation cancelled machine could not
> boot (or something to that effect). The compatibility test says I should
> be
> able to install fine but no joy so far. (and yes I have updated the BIOS
> etc)
>
> CH
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "mapexvenus" <mapexvenus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > Can I upgrade Windows XP Media Center Edition to Vista Business?

>> No, not as an in place upgrade. See this link. The green dots allow in
>> place upgrades, the yellow mean a custom install where apps will have to
>> be
>> reinstalled from original media. Use Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the
>> XP
>> installation to save a copy of data and settings. After the install of
>> Vista, install apps, then bring in the data with WET.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>>
>> You can upgrade MCE to VHP or to Ultimate.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business
You mean you can purchase up to two additional licenses for Vista Home
Premium, not Professional.

"Kenneth Cummings" <comic.castle@comcast.net> wrote

> Hello,
>
> I had an HP Media Center m1270n computer from 2 years ago, with
> Windows
> XP Media Center 2005 software..
>
> I purchased Windows Vista and it is working FLAWLESSLY on my HP Media
> Center Computer..
>
> Why go to Vista business when you have the same functions in the
> Ultimate and
> even have software that is NOT included in the business version.
>
> Vista Ultimate is fantastic and it upgrades the Media Center with
> abilities that are
> NOT in the MCE 2005..
>
> Also, with the Ultimate you can acquire 2 additional Vista
> Professional Licenses
> for only $ 49.99 each (retail around $ 150.00 each) when you purchase the
> Ultimate
> Edition..
>
> Ken
>
> P.S. I also had an ATI graphics card and removed it and upgraded to NVidia
> GeForce 7900 GS and the Ultimate graphics are fantastic.
>
> "swuth" <swuth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have an HP media center machine with an ATI X1800XT graphics card. When
>> Vista Ultimate gets to the "Expanding Files" section it gets about 30%
>> done
>> and then a dialog comes up saying installation cancelled machine could
>> not
>> boot (or something to that effect). The compatibility test says I should
>> be
>> able to install fine but no joy so far. (and yes I have updated the BIOS
>> etc)
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "Rock" wrote:
>>
>>> "mapexvenus" <mapexvenus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>>> No, not as an in place upgrade. See this link. The green dots allow in
>>> place upgrades, the yellow mean a custom install where apps will have to
>>> be
>>> reinstalled from original media. Use Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the
>>> XP
>>> installation to save a copy of data and settings. After the install of
>>> Vista, install apps, then bring in the data with WET.
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>>>
>>> You can upgrade MCE to VHP or to Ultimate.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Kenneth Cummings

Re: Windows Media Center Edition to Vista Business
Oopps.. :-) Yeah.. Sorry about that..

The upgrade is Vista Premium Edition..

Ken