How do I do this - it's driving me crazy

Dr Teeth

How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
I have an OEM version of Vista. I want to install it to a clean
partition and a) use a third party boot manager and b) not have Vista
place any files in my XP partition.

I used System Commander and followed the instructions for installing
Vista - disaster.

PartitionMagic is not compatible with Vista and neither is Acronis
Disc Director or Paragon's offering.

I have tried BootIt NG, but I could several places where it is
possible to hide a partition and gave up in the absence of any
detailed instructions.

Cheers,

Guy

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIGF0IElUQXNzb2NpYXRlcw==?=

RE: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
Does Vista's Setup allow you to make several partitions during the initial
setup phase?

If so, make three partitions, say C:, D:, and E:. C: would be as small as
allowable because it only has to contain the system files, then D: and E: at
whatever size you want.

Install Vista to d:\windows and install XP to e:\windows in that order and
then come back and patch Vista's boot loader as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/

I think it ought to work.

"Dr Teeth" wrote:

> I have an OEM version of Vista. I want to install it to a clean
> partition and a) use a third party boot manager and b) not have Vista
> place any files in my XP partition.
>
> I used System Commander and followed the instructions for installing
> Vista - disaster.
>
> PartitionMagic is not compatible with Vista and neither is Acronis
> Disc Director or Paragon's offering.
>
> I have tried BootIt NG, but I could several places where it is
> possible to hide a partition and gave up in the absence of any
> detailed instructions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Guy
>
> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Adam Albright

Re: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:02:38 +0000, Dr Teeth
<no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote:

>I have an OEM version of Vista. I want to install it to a clean
>partition and a) use a third party boot manager and b) not have Vista
>place any files in my XP partition.

Partition Commander 10 from Avanquest does everything Partition Magic
does... and its cheaper. I picked up a copy some time back and it was
Vista ready back then.

http://www.avanquestusa.com

Dr Teeth

Re: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:40:00 -0800, Dan at ITAssociates
<DanatITAssociates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I think it ought to work.

Thanks for your reply. I did not myself as clear as I thought. I
already have XP installed. I want to use third party software for my
boot manager. I want both XP and Vista to be the C drive when they
boot.

I have done this with other OSs many times, but I'm stuck with Vista.

Cheers,

Guy

Dr Teeth

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:41:06 -0600, Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

>Partition Commander 10 from Avanquest does everything Partition Magic
>does... and its cheaper. I picked up a copy some time back and it was
>Vista ready back then.

Will it actually let me do what I am trying to do?

Cheers,

Guy

Dr Teeth

Re: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:41:06 -0600, Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

>I picked up a copy some time back and it was
>Vista ready back then.

The link that you supplied does not show partition Commander Pro 10 as
being Vista compatible. Only 9 products are listed, and PC isn't one
of them.

Cheers,

Guy

Adam Albright

Re: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:50:15 +0000, Dr Teeth
<no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:41:06 -0600, Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:
>
>>Partition Commander 10 from Avanquest does everything Partition Magic
>>does... and its cheaper. I picked up a copy some time back and it was
>>Vista ready back then.

>Will it actually let me do what I am trying to do?

I will let you make new partitions without losing your current data,
move them around, size them, etc., like Paratiton Magic does.

Example:

Assume right now you have one hard drive that's 100 GB that currently
has XP and some other files on it. If you want to dual boot you need
two partitions. With a partition utility you can carve up your hard
drive into multiple partitions...without losing data like you would
using Windows. Its a multi step process. You need to first shrink the
current size of your one partition. What you take away becomes
unpartitioned "empty" space. Assume you cut it in half. When you're
done you'll have two partitions on your one physical drive, With two
seperate drive letters without harming any of files already there.
Then you can keep XP on one, and install Vista to another. There's no
need to run out and buy a whole new drive. The nice thing about such
tools is you can constantly resize later if you want. Its all wizard
based so very easy to do, not cryptic like trying to do it from DOS or
gosh no from the installed that comes with Windows.

Dr Teeth

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:30:59 -0600, Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

>I will let you make new partitions without losing your current data,
>move them around, size them, etc., like Paratiton Magic does.

It is the installation of Vista I am interested in, not the
partitioning itself.

Vista will dump files in an XP partition unless it is well hidden.
AIUI, there is a couple of ways of doing this and only one is good
enough to stop Vista polluting an XP install.

Cheers,

Guy

Adam Albright

Re: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:54:26 +0000, Dr Teeth
<no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:41:06 -0600, Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:
>
>>I picked up a copy some time back and it was
>>Vista ready back then.

>The link that you supplied does not show partition Commander Pro 10 as
>being Vista compatible. Only 9 products are listed, and PC isn't one
>of them.

Interesting. I'm looking at the box it came in and it has a large size
of the pie chart showing Vista. I thought I would test out my install
and it threw me a curve. If I click on the desktop shortcut to the
program it comes up with a dialog box saying "Partition Commander
requires Administrative Privilages Access"

What the heck is that? Oh, that's part of Vista's new security. I
haven't researched it but it is curious. I am the administrator, so I
at first thought I needed to reinstall Partition Commander, which I
did. Clicked on the new shortcut, same problem. Right clicking on the
shortcut and looking under properties, then the security tab I see IT
DOES already have permission not just for all users, but system and
administrator. What's going on? I don't know yet. Windows says contact
your systems administrator. Well duh...

So the short answer is Partition Commander works fine under XP, but if
it will or not under Vista is still up in the air.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

Re: How do I do this - it's driving me crazy
Did you turn User Account Control (UAC) off?