Installing Vista on XP pro x64 trial

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEJlbmd0c3Nvbg==?=

Installing Vista on XP pro x64 trial
First question: I'm currently running a trial version of XP pro x64, can I
install Vista directly, or do I have to have my original XP installed?
(Planning on buying Vista Home Premium 32-bit)
And Second question: To install Vista 32-bit you need to make a clean
install, can I do that with the Vista upgrades bought online at windows
marketplace?
Rock

Re: Installing Vista on XP pro x64 trial
"Anders Bengtsson" <Anders Bengtsson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> First question: I'm currently running a trial version of XP pro x64, can I
> install Vista directly, or do I have to have my original XP installed?
> (Planning on buying Vista Home Premium 32-bit)
> And Second question: To install Vista 32-bit you need to make a clean
> install, can I do that with the Vista upgrades bought online at windows
> marketplace?

No version of Vista will do an in place upgrade from x64 to x86 versions.
Also from some tests Colin Barnhorst did recently (search for his posts in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general), using an upgrade version to do a
custom install with x64 Vista as the qualifying OS has some odd results so
at this point it's not recommended.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

"Rock" wrote:

> "Anders Bengtsson" <Anders Bengtsson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > First question: I'm currently running a trial version of XP pro x64, can I
> > install Vista directly, or do I have to have my original XP installed?
> > (Planning on buying Vista Home Premium 32-bit)
> > And Second question: To install Vista 32-bit you need to make a clean
> > install, can I do that with the Vista upgrades bought online at windows
> > marketplace?

> No version of Vista will do an in place upgrade from x64 to x86 versions.
> Also from some tests Colin Barnhorst did recently (search for his posts in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general), using an upgrade version to do a
> custom install with x64 Vista as the qualifying OS has some odd results so
> at this point it's not recommended.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Thanks for your answer, it helped me, with some of my concerns, but still
leaves some questions. First, can I make a clean install of Vista with an
upgrade, and second, can I do it on my trial version or do I need a
retail/OEM version of XP installed?

"Anders Bengtsson" <AndersBengtsson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0D733E2A-F825-474A-A3F7-98C946488F35@microsoft.com...

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Anders Bengtsson" <Anders Bengtsson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > First question: I'm currently running a trial version of XP pro x64,
>> > can I
>> > install Vista directly, or do I have to have my original XP installed?
>> > (Planning on buying Vista Home Premium 32-bit)
>> > And Second question: To install Vista 32-bit you need to make a clean
>> > install, can I do that with the Vista upgrades bought online at windows
>> > marketplace?

>> No version of Vista will do an in place upgrade from x64 to x86 versions.
>> Also from some tests Colin Barnhorst did recently (search for his posts
>> in
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general), using an upgrade version to do a
>> custom install with x64 Vista as the qualifying OS has some odd results
>> so
>> at this point it's not recommended.

> Thanks for your answer, it helped me, with some of my concerns, but still
> leaves some questions. First, can I make a clean install of Vista with an
> upgrade, and second, can I do it on my trial version or do I need a
> retail/OEM version of XP installed?

There has been a work around published for how to install an upgrade version
without the qualifying OS installed. That said it hasn't been around long
enough to know what happens after 30 days. So use at your own risk. Here's
one link on it:

I don't think the trial version qualifies.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]