upgrade xp -> vista question about key

kris.vandevijver@gmail.com

upgrade xp -> vista question about key
Hi,

I have a laptop with an OEM version of Win XP Professional. I'd like
to upgrade to the 32bit OEM version of Vista Ultimate. I guess i can
do this. But, if there are problems with Vista, or i don't like
Vista, can i put an XP Ghost image back on the laptop? Or will XP be
de-activated?

Thanks!
Kris

Gene Abner

Re: upgrade xp -> vista question about key
You would have to completely reinstall xp
<kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170773351.423675.90720@l53g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop with an OEM version of Win XP Professional. I'd like
> to upgrade to the 32bit OEM version of Vista Ultimate. I guess i can
> do this. But, if there are problems with Vista, or i don't like
> Vista, can i put an XP Ghost image back on the laptop? Or will XP be
> de-activated?
>
> Thanks!
> Kris

Dave R.

"Gene Abner" <geneabner@texoma.net> wrote in message
> <kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1170773351.423675.90720@l53g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a laptop with an OEM version of Win XP Professional. I'd like
>> to upgrade to the 32bit OEM version of Vista Ultimate. I guess i can
>> do this. But, if there are problems with Vista, or i don't like
>> Vista, can i put an XP Ghost image back on the laptop? Or will XP
>> be
>> de-activated?
>>

> You would have to completely reinstall xp

No, a complete reinstall of XP isn't needed, there is no reason the XP
image couldn't be re-applied to the hard drive. It shouldn't need
reactivated either.

Regards,

Dave

Rock

Re: upgrade xp -> vista question about key
<kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote

> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop with an OEM version of Win XP Professional. I'd like
> to upgrade to the 32bit OEM version of Vista Ultimate. I guess i can
> do this. But, if there are problems with Vista, or i don't like
> Vista, can i put an XP Ghost image back on the laptop? Or will XP be
> de-activated?

An OEM version of Vista will not do an in place upgrade of XP. It can only
do a clean install, so the XP license will be available to install as a dual
boot on that machine (since it's OEM the XP license can't be moved to
another machine.)

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

kris.vandevijver@gmail.com

On 7 feb, 02:49, "Rock" <r...@nospam.net> wrote:
> An OEM version ofVistawill not do an in placeupgradeofXP. It can only
> do a clean install, so theXPlicense will be available to install as a dual
> boot on that machine (since it's OEM theXPlicense can't be moved to
> another machine.)
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Thanks for the replies everyone! Rock, are you sure about this? This
is a big problem because i don't have the time to do a clean install.
I did some research and found a document from Microsoft saying that
'Windows XP Media Center Edition' can be in-place upgraded to Windows
Vista Ultimate. They don't say that this doesn't apply to the OEM
version!

Does anyone know more about the OEM in-place upgrade limitations?

thanks!
Kris

Rock

Re: upgrade xp -> vista question about key
<kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote

> On 7 feb, 02:49, "Rock" <r...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> An OEM version ofVistawill not do an in placeupgradeofXP. It can only
>> do a clean install, so theXPlicense will be available to install as a
>> dual
>> boot on that machine (since it's OEM theXPlicense can't be moved to
>> another machine.)

> Thanks for the replies everyone! Rock, are you sure about this? This
> is a big problem because i don't have the time to do a clean install.
> I did some research and found a document from Microsoft saying that
> 'Windows XP Media Center Edition' can be in-place upgraded to Windows
> Vista Ultimate. They don't say that this doesn't apply to the OEM
> version!
>
> Does anyone know more about the OEM in-place upgrade limitations?

Yes I am certain. OEM versions cannot do an in place upgrade. That is one
of their limitations along with it can't be transferred to a new computer or
sold to another party unless the computer on which it's installed is sold
with it. And no support from MS.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

kris.vandevijver@gmail.com

Re: upgrade xp -> vista question about key
> Yes I am certain. OEM versions cannot do an in placeupgrade. That is one
> of their limitations along with it can't be transferred to a new computer or
> sold to another party unless the computer on which it's installed is sold
> with it. And no support from MS.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Hi Rock,

Thanks for your replies, however, i have installed Vista anyway and it
works fine.
So, the situation was: XP Media Center 2005 SP2. I purchased an OEM
version of Vista Ultimate 32 and did an in-place upgrade. It took a
while, but Vista is now running and it's working absolutely great, as
well as 98% of all my applications, tools, devices, etc!! Yep, i
guess i'm a happy customer :-)

-Kris

MICHAEL

news:1170920916.347577.125520@s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
>> Yes I am certain. OEM versions cannot do an in placeupgrade. That is one
>> of their limitations along with it can't be transferred to a new computer or
>> sold to another party unless the computer on which it's installed is sold
>> with it. And no support from MS.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

> Hi Rock,
>
> Thanks for your replies, however, i have installed Vista anyway and it
> works fine.
> So, the situation was: XP Media Center 2005 SP2. I purchased an OEM
> version of Vista Ultimate 32 and did an in-place upgrade. It took a
> while, but Vista is now running and it's working absolutely great, as
> well as 98% of all my applications, tools, devices, etc!! Yep, i
> guess i'm a happy customer :-)
>
> -Kris

Kris, you are now the third person (I've seen) to say they used an OEM and
successfully did an in place upgrade.

I'll tell you, what we knew to be true for XP installs, seems to have
fallen apart with Vista. And, what we were told to expect from a Vista
install, doesn't seem to always be true, either. Lots of contradictory
information out there.

There have even been folks who have installed an upgrade version
of Vista to a separate partition and the install allowed this. Giving
them the full use of XP and Vista. Upgrades aren't supposed to work
that way.

-Michael

Rock

Re: upgrade xp -> vista question about key
<kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote

>> Yes I am certain. OEM versions cannot do an in placeupgrade. That is
>> one
>> of their limitations along with it can't be transferred to a new computer
>> or
>> sold to another party unless the computer on which it's installed is sold
>> with it. And no support from MS.

> Hi Rock,
>
> Thanks for your replies, however, i have installed Vista anyway and it
> works fine.
> So, the situation was: XP Media Center 2005 SP2. I purchased an OEM
> version of Vista Ultimate 32 and did an in-place upgrade. It took a
> while, but Vista is now running and it's working absolutely great, as
> well as 98% of all my applications, tools, devices, etc!! Yep, i
> guess i'm a happy customer :-)

Interesting. Your is the second post I've read where an OEM Vista version
did an upgrade. Confusion reigns!

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]