INSTALLING E-MAIL FOLDERS

=?Utf-8?B?WW9ya21hbg==?=

INSTALLING E-MAIL FOLDERS
I have my old e-mail folders and settings form Outlook Express backed up
using a program called Outlook backup. Now that I have updated to Vista, the
folders and settings will not transfer. The propgram has transfered my
favorites and my contacts but not folders and settings. Any ideas?

Steve Cochran

Re: INSTALLING E-MAIL FOLDERS
The settings are stored in a different location in the registry than in XP,
so they can't easily be incorporated into Vista with your backup.

You can import the folders and messages okay. See
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm

There is also a newsgroup I'm crossposting to that covers Windows Mail
(formerly OE) issues.

steve

"Yorkman" <Yorkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have my old e-mail folders and settings form Outlook Express backed up
> using a program called Outlook backup. Now that I have updated to Vista,
> the
> folders and settings will not transfer. The propgram has transfered my
> favorites and my contacts but not folders and settings. Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?WW9ya21hbg==?=

Re: INSTALLING E-MAIL FOLDERS
Steve,

My problem is that the backup program saves the files as .boe files, these
will not load to Vista.

Would a work around be to install a copy of Outlook express transfer to that
copy then use Vista to back up , transfer then delete the Outlook?

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> The settings are stored in a different location in the registry than in XP,
> so they can't easily be incorporated into Vista with your backup.
>
> You can import the folders and messages okay. See
> www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm
>
> There is also a newsgroup I'm crossposting to that covers Windows Mail
> (formerly OE) issues.
>
> steve
>
> "Yorkman" <Yorkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have my old e-mail folders and settings form Outlook Express backed up
> > using a program called Outlook backup. Now that I have updated to Vista,
> > the
> > folders and settings will not transfer. The propgram has transfered my
> > favorites and my contacts but not folders and settings. Any ideas?

Steve Cochran

Re: INSTALLING E-MAIL FOLDERS
You can't install OE on Vista. Windows Mail is OE renamed and the message
store is completely different. So I don't know what you can do with those
files.

> Steve,
>
> My problem is that the backup program saves the files as .boe files, these
> will not load to Vista.
>
> Would a work around be to install a copy of Outlook express transfer to
> that
> copy then use Vista to back up , transfer then delete the Outlook?
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
>> The settings are stored in a different location in the registry than in
>> XP,
>> so they can't easily be incorporated into Vista with your backup.
>>
>> You can import the folders and messages okay. See
>> www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm
>>
>> There is also a newsgroup I'm crossposting to that covers Windows Mail
>> (formerly OE) issues.
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "Yorkman" <Yorkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have my old e-mail folders and settings form Outlook Express backed up
>> > using a program called Outlook backup. Now that I have updated to
>> > Vista,
>> > the
>> > folders and settings will not transfer. The propgram has transfered my
>> > favorites and my contacts but not folders and settings. Any ideas?

Donald McDaniel

"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message
> You can't install OE on Vista. Windows Mail is OE renamed and the message
> store is completely different. So I don't know what you can do with those
> files.
>
> steve
>
> "Yorkman" <Yorkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Steve,
>>
>> My problem is that the backup program saves the files as .boe files,
>> these
>> will not load to Vista.
>>
>> Would a work around be to install a copy of Outlook express transfer to
>> that
>> copy then use Vista to back up , transfer then delete the Outlook?
>>
>> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>>
>>> The settings are stored in a different location in the registry than in
>>> XP,
>>> so they can't easily be incorporated into Vista with your backup.
>>>
>>> You can import the folders and messages okay. See
>>> www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm
>>>
>>> There is also a newsgroup I'm crossposting to that covers Windows Mail
>>> (formerly OE) issues.
>>>
>>> steve
>>>
>>> "Yorkman" <Yorkman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Personally, I don't normally use Microsoft's "Usenet client". I use the
best Usenet client in existence: Forte's Agent Newsreader (now in its 4th
iteration). It is truly a full-featured newsreader. Microsoft's
"newsreader" is just a quick-and-dirty substitute for a decent Usenet
client, and is mostly an email client.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.