Can't Boot to Vista Dvd

MICHAEL

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd
Hardly any of us here are familiar with that download and
install routine- it is brand new. It wasn't available for us
to test.

I believe it is suppose to run locally and not burnt to a disk.
Click that setup executable and the install should begin.

-Michael

"msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I purchased and downloaded Vista Home Premium from Microsoft's
> web site. I chose to use my browsers download. The download came in 3 parts.
> Boot.wim
> Install.wim
> and an exacutable.
> I burned the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
> another install incase this happens.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Jim Fisher

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd

"msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message > I burned
the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
> another install incase this happens.

Did you set your BIOS to boot from the DVD first?

If you simply "copied" the downloaded data, the DVD isn't bootable. How did
you create the "Bootable" DVD?

JamesJ

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd
BIOS set properly.
I'll call the distributer (Curcuit City) to see if I can obtain a
disc.

Thanks,
James

"Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message > I
> burned the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
>> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
>> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
>> another install incase this happens.

> Did you set your BIOS to boot from the DVD first?
>
> If you simply "copied" the downloaded data, the DVD isn't bootable. How
> did you create the "Bootable" DVD?

JamesJ

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd
Vista installed ok. Just a bit concerned.

James

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Hardly any of us here are familiar with that download and
> install routine- it is brand new. It wasn't available for us
> to test.
>
> I believe it is suppose to run locally and not burnt to a disk.
> Click that setup executable and the install should begin.
>
> -Michael
>
> "msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message
>> Hi. I purchased and downloaded Vista Home Premium from Microsoft's
>> web site. I chose to use my browsers download. The download came in 3
>> parts.
>> Boot.wim
>> Install.wim
>> and an exacutable.
>> I burned the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
>> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
>> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
>> another install incase this happens.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

JW

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd
You need to save the .iso file as an ISO image on the DVD not just as a
normal file.

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message
>I didn't make the DVD bootable. I see no options in Vista to make
> the DVD bootable.
> After installation I did notice a folder (named Vista) the installation
> created. I burned the contents of the folder to the DVD but it still
> won't boot to the DVD.
>
> James
>
> "Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message > I
>> burned the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
>>> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
>>> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
>>> another install incase this happens.

>> Did you set your BIOS to boot from the DVD first?
>>
>> If you simply "copied" the downloaded data, the DVD isn't bootable. How
>> did you create the "Bootable" DVD?

JamesJ

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd
I didn't make the DVD bootable. I see no options in Vista to make
the DVD bootable.
After installation I did notice a folder (named Vista) the installation
created. I burned the contents of the folder to the DVD but it still
won't boot to the DVD.

James

"Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message > I
> burned the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
>> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
>> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
>> another install incase this happens.

> Did you set your BIOS to boot from the DVD first?
>
> If you simply "copied" the downloaded data, the DVD isn't bootable. How
> did you create the "Bootable" DVD?

Donald McDaniel

Re: Can't Boot to Vista Dvd
"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message
>I didn't make the DVD bootable. I see no options in Vista to make
> the DVD bootable.
> After installation I did notice a folder (named Vista) the installation
> created. I burned the contents of the folder to the DVD but it still
> won't boot to the DVD.
>
> James
>
> "Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "msnews.microsoft.com" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.com> wrote in message > I
>> burned the 3 files to a DVD-RW but the computer won't boot to it.
>>> I ran the executable from my c: drive to install Vista but what if I'm
>>> unable start my operating system? I have nothing to boot to to begin
>>> another install incase this happens.

>> Did you set your BIOS to boot from the DVD first?
>>
>> If you simply "copied" the downloaded data, the DVD isn't bootable. How
>> did you create the "Bootable" DVD?

Windows has no native ability to create bootable disks (other than
floppies). To make a proper Vista Installation disk, you would have to use
a product such as Nero Burning Rom (the LATEST version, since previous
versions are not Vista-compatible), which CAN.

There is no way around this, since the mechanism for making bootable DVDs
does not exist in a version of Windows, including Vista.

By the way, as far as I know, Microsoft does not distribute downloads of
Vista in the form of ISOs. They might do this for MSDN distributions, but
I'm not really sure, since I have no membership to MSDN. If you got an ISO
from anyone but Microsoft itself, your copy is not legal anyway. But have
no fear, Microsoft DOES provide Vista in the form of a download now. A
first for Microsoft.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.