Moving toolbar to right

bob b

Moving toolbar to right
Can anyone give me advice on moving the Quick Launch tool bar to the left
side of my screen?

The toolbars are unlocked. I click on a blank place, the curser turns to a
four sided arrow and I try to drag it to the left. It does not move.
Stubborn?

Thanks for any help in advance. Bob.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Moving toolbar to right
Bob

They removed this function in Vista, however, there is a workaround.

Right click the Desktop and select New/Folder. A new folder will appear,
click an empty spot on the Desktop. Drag the folder to the left side of the
desktop (Or wherever you want to locate the Quick Launch toolbar.) and drop
it there. You should now have a toolbar that spans the left side of the
Desktop.

Right click an empty spot on the new toolbar and select Toolbars/Quick
Launch. The shortcuts in the Quick Launch toolbar should appear. Right click
the toolbar again and deselect Toolbars/New Folder. You should now have the
QL toolbar on the left side of the screen. You can right click an empty spot
and customize just like always with the QL toolbar. You can now right click
an empty spot in the Taskbar and deselect Toolbars/Quick Launch to remove
the second QL toolbar from there.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone give me advice on moving the Quick Launch tool bar to the left
> side of my screen?
>
> The toolbars are unlocked. I click on a blank place, the curser turns to a
> four sided arrow and I try to drag it to the left. It does not move.
> Stubborn?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance. Bob.

bob b

Re: Moving toolbar to right
Nice. Thanks so much!!

> Bob
>
> They removed this function in Vista, however, there is a workaround.
>
> Right click the Desktop and select New/Folder. A new folder will appear,
> click an empty spot on the Desktop. Drag the folder to the left side of
> the desktop (Or wherever you want to locate the Quick Launch toolbar.) and
> drop it there. You should now have a toolbar that spans the left side of
> the Desktop.
>
> Right click an empty spot on the new toolbar and select Toolbars/Quick
> Launch. The shortcuts in the Quick Launch toolbar should appear. Right
> click the toolbar again and deselect Toolbars/New Folder. You should now
> have the QL toolbar on the left side of the screen. You can right click an
> empty spot and customize just like always with the QL toolbar. You can now
> right click an empty spot in the Taskbar and deselect Toolbars/Quick
> Launch to remove the second QL toolbar from there.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone give me advice on moving the Quick Launch tool bar to the left
>> side of my screen?
>>
>> The toolbars are unlocked. I click on a blank place, the curser turns to
>> a four sided arrow and I try to drag it to the left. It does not move.
>> Stubborn?
>>
>> Thanks for any help in advance. Bob.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Moving toolbar to right
Bob

Your welcome. Enjoy.

--

> Nice. Thanks so much!!
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Bob
>>
>> They removed this function in Vista, however, there is a workaround.
>>
>> Right click the Desktop and select New/Folder. A new folder will appear,
>> click an empty spot on the Desktop. Drag the folder to the left side of
>> the desktop (Or wherever you want to locate the Quick Launch toolbar.)
>> and drop it there. You should now have a toolbar that spans the left side
>> of the Desktop.
>>
>> Right click an empty spot on the new toolbar and select Toolbars/Quick
>> Launch. The shortcuts in the Quick Launch toolbar should appear. Right
>> click the toolbar again and deselect Toolbars/New Folder. You should now
>> have the QL toolbar on the left side of the screen. You can right click
>> an empty spot and customize just like always with the QL toolbar. You can
>> now right click an empty spot in the Taskbar and deselect Toolbars/Quick
>> Launch to remove the second QL toolbar from there.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone give me advice on moving the Quick Launch tool bar to the
>>> left side of my screen?
>>>
>>> The toolbars are unlocked. I click on a blank place, the curser turns to
>>> a four sided arrow and I try to drag it to the left. It does not move.
>>> Stubborn?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help in advance. Bob.

Donald McDaniel

Re: Moving toolbar to right
"bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone give me advice on moving the Quick Launch tool bar to the left
> side of my screen?
>
> The toolbars are unlocked. I click on a blank place, the curser turns to a
> four sided arrow and I try to drag it to the left. It does not move.
> Stubborn?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance. Bob.

Here is a MUCH easier way:

1) Unlock the Taskbar
2) Click and drag the "grabber" which is just to the left of the Quick
Launch toolbar. The cursor will turn into a two-sided arrow instead. Drag
it to the left and the Quick Launch toolbar will follow. Move it to the
right and the Quick Launch will follow. This will not work if there are
Window buttons on the Taskbar when you try it, UNLESS your Taskbar has been
doubled or tripled in height.
3) Relock the Taskbar.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Moving toolbar to right
"Donald McDaniel" <orthocross@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
> "bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone give me advice on moving the Quick Launch tool bar to the left
>> side of my screen?
>>
>> The toolbars are unlocked. I click on a blank place, the curser turns to
>> a four sided arrow and I try to drag it to the left. It does not move.
>> Stubborn?
>>
>> Thanks for any help in advance. Bob.

> Here is a MUCH easier way:
>
> 1) Unlock the Taskbar
> 2) Click and drag the "grabber" which is just to the left of the Quick
> Launch toolbar. The cursor will turn into a two-sided arrow instead.
> Drag it to the left and the Quick Launch toolbar will follow. Move it to
> the right and the Quick Launch will follow. This will not work if there
> are Window buttons on the Taskbar when you try it, UNLESS your Taskbar has
> been doubled or tripled in height.
> 3) Relock the Taskbar.
>
> --
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.

Donald

I think you misunderstooed the question. The OP wanted to detach the QL
toolbar completely from the Taskbar and move it to the left edge of the
monitor. This was possible in XP but has apparently been disabled in Vista.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP