X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista

boe

X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
Hello,

I have an MSI motherboard 965p - I have the latest firmware 2.5. I can run
XP Pro with no issue but installing Media Center 2005 and Vista has been a
bust. I'll begin the install and very shortly before it get's into the
real install, the monitor goes black. I've tried several times with each -
no luck. I thought it might be a DVI issue so I connected a CRT to the VGA
connector - same bad luck. I used an old underpowered nVidia card and was
able to install without issue. I was hoping that if I switched the cards
after the install I'd be OK but it goes black during boot up and never comes
up - waited 10 minutes. I booted in safe mode with the ATI card installed
and it works in safe mode - even recognizes the card. I used the ati vista
drivers - replaced the Windows drivers - same issue - black screen. I
have an ATI 1900 card that seems to work fine.

Anyone else have an x850 pro agp and try to install with Vista? Any luck?

Again I'm really only looking for people with X850 Pro AGP cards - you don't
need to let me know you got it to install with an x1900, 1950, 1350, matrox,
onboard intel etc. I'm really just looking to see if it can be done with
this specific card as I don't want to use the card I already have and yes I
am aware that I can buy another card for a reasonable price. The key is to
find out if I can use this specific card.

Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hpbm9sYW0=?=

RE: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
Just wanted to say I have the same video card and mine goes to black too.
Hopefully this will be fixed, but just wanted to chime in and bump this back
up.

"boe" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an MSI motherboard 965p - I have the latest firmware 2.5. I can run
> XP Pro with no issue but installing Media Center 2005 and Vista has been a
> bust. I'll begin the install and very shortly before it get's into the
> real install, the monitor goes black. I've tried several times with each -
> no luck. I thought it might be a DVI issue so I connected a CRT to the VGA
> connector - same bad luck. I used an old underpowered nVidia card and was
> able to install without issue. I was hoping that if I switched the cards
> after the install I'd be OK but it goes black during boot up and never comes
> up - waited 10 minutes. I booted in safe mode with the ATI card installed
> and it works in safe mode - even recognizes the card. I used the ati vista
> drivers - replaced the Windows drivers - same issue - black screen. I
> have an ATI 1900 card that seems to work fine.
>
> Anyone else have an x850 pro agp and try to install with Vista? Any luck?
>
> Again I'm really only looking for people with X850 Pro AGP cards - you don't
> need to let me know you got it to install with an x1900, 1950, 1350, matrox,
> onboard intel etc. I'm really just looking to see if it can be done with
> this specific card as I don't want to use the card I already have and yes I
> am aware that I can buy another card for a reasonable price. The key is to
> find out if I can use this specific card.
>
> Thanks

boe

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
Thanks for confirming!! Please, OH please - submit a ticket on their
website http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...asp?deptID=894
I doubt they'll do anything unless they are aware that more than one person
is having an issue.

"chinolam" <chinolam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just wanted to say I have the same video card and mine goes to black too.
> Hopefully this will be fixed, but just wanted to chime in and bump this
> back
> up.
>
> "boe" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an MSI motherboard 965p - I have the latest firmware 2.5. I can
>> run
>> XP Pro with no issue but installing Media Center 2005 and Vista has been
>> bust. I'll begin the install and very shortly before it get's into the
>> real install, the monitor goes black. I've tried several times with
>> each -
>> no luck. I thought it might be a DVI issue so I connected a CRT to the
>> VGA
>> connector - same bad luck. I used an old underpowered nVidia card and
>> was
>> able to install without issue. I was hoping that if I switched the
>> cards
>> after the install I'd be OK but it goes black during boot up and never
>> comes
>> up - waited 10 minutes. I booted in safe mode with the ATI card
>> installed
>> and it works in safe mode - even recognizes the card. I used the ati
>> vista
>> drivers - replaced the Windows drivers - same issue - black screen. I
>> have an ATI 1900 card that seems to work fine.
>>
>> Anyone else have an x850 pro agp and try to install with Vista? Any
>> luck?
>>
>> Again I'm really only looking for people with X850 Pro AGP cards - you
>> don't
>> need to let me know you got it to install with an x1900, 1950, 1350,
>> matrox,
>> onboard intel etc. I'm really just looking to see if it can be done
>> with
>> this specific card as I don't want to use the card I already have and yes
>> am aware that I can buy another card for a reasonable price. The key is
>> find out if I can use this specific card.
>>
>> Thanks

boe

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
I still haven't received a response from them. Hoping they'll give me some
info.
The x850 is listed as supported for Vista on their web page but considering
it can't be installed with this card, they would have to come out with a
bios fix or give us replacement cards.

Just in case they remove this now that they are aware of the issue.

The following products support Windows VistaT:
DesktopMultimediaChipsetMobileWorkstation

ATI Store
ATI Upgrade Advisor
Desktop
ATI Radeon® X1950 Series
ATI Radeon® X1900 Series
ATI Radeon® X1800 Series
ATI Radeon® X1650 Series
ATI Radeon® X1600 Series
ATI Radeon® X1300 Series
ATI Radeon® X850 Series
ATI Radeon® X800 Series
ATI Radeon® X700 Series
ATI Radeon® X600 Series
ATI Radeon® X550 Series
ATI Radeon® X300 Series
ATI Radeon® 9800 Series
ATI Radeon® 9700 Series
ATI Radeon® 9600 Series
ATI Radeon® 9550 Series
ATI Radeon® 9500 Series

"chinolam" <chinolam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just wanted to say I have the same video card and mine goes to black too.
> Hopefully this will be fixed, but just wanted to chime in and bump this
> back
> up.
>
> "boe" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an MSI motherboard 965p - I have the latest firmware 2.5. I can
>> run
>> XP Pro with no issue but installing Media Center 2005 and Vista has been
>> bust. I'll begin the install and very shortly before it get's into the
>> real install, the monitor goes black. I've tried several times with
>> each -
>> no luck. I thought it might be a DVI issue so I connected a CRT to the
>> VGA
>> connector - same bad luck. I used an old underpowered nVidia card and
>> was
>> able to install without issue. I was hoping that if I switched the
>> cards
>> after the install I'd be OK but it goes black during boot up and never
>> comes
>> up - waited 10 minutes. I booted in safe mode with the ATI card
>> installed
>> and it works in safe mode - even recognizes the card. I used the ati
>> vista
>> drivers - replaced the Windows drivers - same issue - black screen. I
>> have an ATI 1900 card that seems to work fine.
>>
>> Anyone else have an x850 pro agp and try to install with Vista? Any
>> luck?
>>
>> Again I'm really only looking for people with X850 Pro AGP cards - you
>> don't
>> need to let me know you got it to install with an x1900, 1950, 1350,
>> matrox,
>> onboard intel etc. I'm really just looking to see if it can be done
>> with
>> this specific card as I don't want to use the card I already have and yes
>> am aware that I can buy another card for a reasonable price. The key is
>> find out if I can use this specific card.
>>
>> Thanks

Ron Miller

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
Regarding the list you pasted, I'm guessing that ATI is referring to the
PCI-E versions of those cards -- unless there are some that don't have
PCI-E versions. The reason I say this is that I had a PCI-E version of
the X800XL, a card not as "advanced" as the X850 under discussion here,
and it worked just fine with all the Vista betas. (I upgraded to an
X1950 Pro before installing the RTM.)
Don't you think it's likely that the problem with your card is more
likely to lie with the AGP feature than with the GPU version?

boe wrote:
> [...]
>>> installed
>>> and it works in safe mode - even recognizes the card. I used the ati
>>> vista
>>> drivers - replaced the Windows drivers - same issue - black screen. I
>>> have an ATI 1900 card that seems to work fine.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have an x850 pro agp and try to install with Vista? Any
>>> luck?
>>>
>>> Again I'm really only looking for people with X850 Pro AGP cards - you
>>> don't
>>> need to let me know you got it to install with an x1900, 1950, 1350,
>>> matrox,
>>> onboard intel etc. I'm really just looking to see if it can be done
>>> with
>>> this specific card as I don't want to use the card I already have and yes
>>> am aware that I can buy another card for a reasonable price. The key is
>>> find out if I can use this specific card.

boe

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
While it may be that the PCI version works and the AGP version doesn't,
their web page makes no differentiation as to which support vista. I am
able to use AGP cards from other manufacturers to install Vista on this
machine so the firmware on my motherboard certainly supports vista.

"Ron Miller" <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote in message
> Regarding the list you pasted, I'm guessing that ATI is referring to the
> PCI-E versions of those cards -- unless there are some that don't have
> PCI-E versions. The reason I say this is that I had a PCI-E version of
> the X800XL, a card not as "advanced" as the X850 under discussion here,
> and it worked just fine with all the Vista betas. (I upgraded to an X1950
> Pro before installing the RTM.)
> Don't you think it's likely that the problem with your card is more likely
> to lie with the AGP feature than with the GPU version?
>
> boe wrote:
>> I still haven't received a response from them. Hoping they'll give me
>> some info.
>> The x850 is listed as supported for Vista on their web page but
>> considering it can't be installed with this card, they would have to come
>> out with a bios fix or give us replacement cards.
>>
>> Just in case they remove this now that they are aware of the issue.
>>
>> The following products support Windows VistaT:
>> DesktopMultimediaChipsetMobileWorkstation
>>
>> ATI Store
>> ATI Upgrade Advisor
>> Desktop
>> ATI Radeon® X1950 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X1900 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X1800 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X1650 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X1600 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X1300 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X850 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X800 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X700 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X600 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X550 Series
>> ATI Radeon® X300 Series
>> ATI Radeon® 9800 Series
>> ATI Radeon® 9700 Series
>> ATI Radeon® 9600 Series
>> ATI Radeon® 9550 Series
>> ATI Radeon® 9500 Series
>>

>> "chinolam" <chinolam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Just wanted to say I have the same video card and mine goes to black
>>> too.
>>> Hopefully this will be fixed, but just wanted to chime in and bump this
>>> back
>>> up.

Ron Miller

boe wrote:
> While it may be that the PCI version works and the AGP version doesn't,
> their web page makes no differentiation as to which support vista. I am
> able to use AGP cards from other manufacturers to install Vista on this
> machine so the firmware on my motherboard certainly supports vista.
>
> "Ron Miller" <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote in message
>> Regarding the list you pasted, I'm guessing that ATI is referring to the
>> PCI-E versions of those cards -- unless there are some that don't have
>> PCI-E versions. The reason I say this is that I had a PCI-E version of
>> the X800XL, a card not as "advanced" as the X850 under discussion here,
>> and it worked just fine with all the Vista betas. (I upgraded to an X1950
>> Pro before installing the RTM.)
>> Don't you think it's likely that the problem with your card is more likely
>> to lie with the AGP feature than with the GPU version?
>>
>> boe wrote:
>>> I still haven't received a response from them. Hoping they'll give me
>>> some info.
>>> The x850 is listed as supported for Vista on their web page but
>>> considering it can't be installed with this card, they would have to come
>>> out with a bios fix or give us replacement cards.
>>>
>>> Just in case they remove this now that they are aware of the issue.
>>>
>>> The following products support Windows VistaT:
>>> DesktopMultimediaChipsetMobileWorkstation
>>>
>>> ATI Store
>>> ATI Upgrade Advisor
>>> Desktop
>>> ATI Radeon® X1950 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X1900 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X1800 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X1650 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X1600 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X1300 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X850 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X800 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X700 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X600 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X550 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® X300 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® 9800 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® 9700 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® 9600 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® 9550 Series
>>> ATI Radeon® 9500 Series
>>>

>>> "chinolam" <chinolam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Do you by chance have any other video cards installed -- e.g., a video
capture card or a TV tuner card? There's a fellow posting in the
"hardware" forum who couldn't get his PCI-E X850 recognized at all. It
turned out that he did have a tuner card installed, and as soon as he
pulled it out, Vista recognized the X850, and he was able to install the
Vista driver for it.

Ron
boe

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
I don't have any other video cards but I removed all cards - e.g. sound,
network, etc to make sure it was just my video card. It is the nature of
the card from what I can tell. Still no reply for ATI.

> boe wrote:
>> While it may be that the PCI version works and the AGP version doesn't,
>> their web page makes no differentiation as to which support vista. I am
>> able to use AGP cards from other manufacturers to install Vista on this
>> machine so the firmware on my motherboard certainly supports vista.
>>
>> "Ron Miller" <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote in message
>>> Regarding the list you pasted, I'm guessing that ATI is referring to the
>>> PCI-E versions of those cards -- unless there are some that don't have
>>> PCI-E versions. The reason I say this is that I had a PCI-E version of
>>> the X800XL, a card not as "advanced" as the X850 under discussion here,
>>> and it worked just fine with all the Vista betas. (I upgraded to an
>>> X1950 Pro before installing the RTM.)
>>> Don't you think it's likely that the problem with your card is more
>>> likely to lie with the AGP feature than with the GPU version?

> Do you by chance have any other video cards installed -- e.g., a video
> capture card or a TV tuner card? There's a fellow posting in the
> "hardware" forum who couldn't get his PCI-E X850 recognized at all. It
> turned out that he did have a tuner card installed, and as soon as he
> pulled it out, Vista recognized the X850, and he was able to install the
> Vista driver for it.
>
> Ron

boe

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
I tried calling them this morning - after 25 minutes on hold - hadn't spoken
to anyone, I heard a ringing and the phone went dead.

"Ron Miller" <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote in message
> boe wrote:
>> While it may be that the PCI version works and the AGP version doesn't,
>> their web page makes no differentiation as to which support vista. I am
>> able to use AGP cards from other manufacturers to install Vista on this
>> machine so the firmware on my motherboard certainly supports vista.
>>
>> "Ron Miller" <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote in message
>>> Regarding the list you pasted, I'm guessing that ATI is referring to the
>>> PCI-E versions of those cards -- unless there are some that don't have
>>> PCI-E versions. The reason I say this is that I had a PCI-E version of
>>> the X800XL, a card not as "advanced" as the X850 under discussion here,
>>> and it worked just fine with all the Vista betas. (I upgraded to an
>>> X1950 Pro before installing the RTM.)
>>> Don't you think it's likely that the problem with your card is more
>>> likely to lie with the AGP feature than with the GPU version?

> Do you by chance have any other video cards installed -- e.g., a video
> capture card or a TV tuner card? There's a fellow posting in the
> "hardware" forum who couldn't get his PCI-E X850 recognized at all. It
> turned out that he did have a tuner card installed, and as soon as he
> pulled it out, Vista recognized the X850, and he was able to install the
> Vista driver for it.
>
> Ron

cold

Re: X850 PR0 AGP - does not seem compatable with Vista
My Radeon X850 XT Platinum AGP works just fine.Even better with the new
drivers. 5.9 in the graphics index.